Cornwall Football Forum

Duchy Premier League, 17th March

Good result for Pelynt.

What is everyone's opinion on Torpoint's pitch situation?

Including last night they now have 10 home games in a row, they will end up playing nearly that in mid-weekers,  every team plays a few but to play nearly 10 mid week games all at home, where they have the opportunity to rely on the services of not only their ECPL side but their SWPL side is unfair. Almost every team will have an opportunity to use second and first teamers but they have an unfair advantage on their run in now and could up set teams that don't have that massive bonus.

is it going to be the same next season?

Great performance under floodlights by Pelynt. Torpoint very physical side but Pelynt outplayed them in the football stakes with a double from Liam Jones.

Have to say Referee was very good, well done. One question is how many of Torpoints players were from their higher teams ?

Edited by Asitis
spelling

Wouldn't know, could well of been none, that's why I said the 'opportunity', I think their ECPL side has a semi-final today so doubt any of them. But just seems if the pitch situation is going to stay like this then they're always going to have the advantage of a strong run in at the end of season, with almost half of their seasons games being played at home from last night onwards.

It's always more of a struggle for away teams to raise a mid week side aswell.

Edited by footycrazy15

It's unfortunate that Torpoint have lost the use of Spicknell pitches at HMS Raleigh this season, resulting in the luxury of using The Mill. It's the same situation for Torpoint Comrades, now Rame Peninsula in division 4, who for the time being use the 3G at Saltash. Torpoint are lucky to have use of The Mill, whereas Rame using Saltash 3G means they have 22 away fixtures in reality! Hopefully the MOD pitches at HMS Raleigh are available again for next season so we can have more continuity. This situation is in MOD's hands with regards to the changing rooms, not Torpoint's. I may be wrong, but i'm confident the league rules state SWPL and ECPL fixtures take priority, hence our backlog of fixtures. We have a lot of games coming up so hopefully we'll go on a run now where we'll gain the league position I think we deserve.

In reference to FootyCrazy15 and Asitis saying we get to rely on senior players from our ECPL and SWPL side, he/she may be unaware of the rule that says Duchy sides can only name 3 players of a higher level per fixture. A few of the regular Duchy players have played for the ECPL on a number of occasions this season to the loss of the Duchy side, that is how our club works and rightly so. We've gone to games with 11-13 players to boost the ECPL/SWPL sides so do you think that benefits us? In last night's squad of 14, only one is from the ECPL side, who played under 5mins. What's "unfair" about that?

Our club is superbly run so if we lose a player or two to the higher sides, then so be it. With Spicknell pitch out of bounds this season we're lucky we can utilise The Mill late in the season to complete our season. I'd love to read your reply.

Here's my response, 

1. I didn't say rely, I said the 'opportunity to rely', and let's face it, that many mid-week games at home, you're going to use that opportunity more often than not. As I said, most teams will get that opportunity, but not on the scale you have. Teams having to travel mid week away on a much larger scale than normal is unfair. Your run of of almost half of your season's games at home is unfair.

2. AND HERE'S THE BIGGY: Foul Throw you're obviously defending your club, know it well etc which is great. BUT it's not '3 senior players' - it is TWO. The rules changed this season. So I wonder now how many games have you played using 3? I suspect that was a typo? Or you've never done that...

I'd love to read your reply. 

P.S

Torpoint is a well ran club and I don't want a slagging match. I merely just wanted opinions of other players/teams in the league, my opnion is that it's unfair you have a huge advantage now to finish the season against teams that don't. I think it's unfair that this is likely to continue. Just my opnion Foul Throw and I'm glad you replied.

On your first point, you're not wrong on the opportunity. But I doubt it will occur in the coming fixtures more often than the times we've lost players representing the seniors sides when we've had a fixture ourselves. That's the nature of the beast.

Secondly, you're right, it wasn't a typo, I love a proof read. Good job I don't have the responsibility of knowing the precise rules! From my squad lists of fixtures I've been at though we're safe and I'm sure we wouldn't have fallen foul of it knowing the people who run the club. 

I understand your queries though. It's regularly discussed on this forum, and defended every time by the clubs, as I have done. St Dennis have a reserve team in the Duchy league and they have had this topic chucked at them in the past. But who are they to not do everything they can to benefit both their sides? The progress their club has made is evident in their 1st team's rise from Duchy to SWPL and less than obvious in their continuous improvement to the pitch and facilities. But I digress...

Once the MOD pitch changing rooms are good to use again we'll be back there, maybe by next season, I do not know? Last season, the midweek fixtures we had to play were mostly away games, due to winter cancellations rather than the pitch being used already, so it's swings and roundabouts for now.

I have nothing negative to say about Torpoint and I'm sure they are frustrated with the position but a similar situation could be used by other Clubs to gain an advantage because having 2 or 3 senior players playing in a crucial game could make a difference. The likelihood of this happening is certainly greater midweek and coupled with the difficulty of an away team getting their best team out for a midweek game does mean that this situation shouldn't be allowed to become the norm.

Foul Throw 3, I never once said you get to rely on senior players. I merely asked how many were used last night? You have jumped on the defence rather quickly. My point was that if senior players were used,as you rightly say is not against the rules, it made the performance of Pelynt even better. No one is accusing Torpoint of cheating in any way. Torpoint is a well run and respected club and always a pleasure to visit. It is unfortunate about the pitch situation, out of your hands. 

I merely wanted to point out in my post that is was a great game of Football, well refereed and could have gone either way. That's all. 

We ( lostwithiel ) played Torpoint on saturday and I am looking forward to playing up at The Mill next Tuesday. Torpoint are a good side and I think they would have challenged for the league if they could have played their fixtures regularly. They always promote from within with the first team always getting the benefit, never easy for the junior sides but great for other sides to play at such a great set up and hopefully it will inspire us to put up a good performance.

Well said Billy. Only 2 senior players could possibly get a look in any way, so does it really matter? I remember playing St Dennis last season when they had Lee Rickard, Richard Hawke and Mark Rowe playing for them as they attempted to escape relegation. We still beat them 9-2! Like Billy said Torpoint are a club that will promote from within and all the Torpoint sides are very strong as they can draw from a very big catchment.

Looking forward to playing under the floodlights and on a decent surface for once. Hopefully no last minute equaliser this time though!!

On another note, well done to Pelynt on getting the win. On their day Pelynt are an excellent footballing side, but obviously a bit Jekyll and Hyde which is a bit like us at Lostwithiel.

The MOD pitches at Raleigh are out indefinitely, I've spoken to the Captain and made my thoughts clear on the situation and he didn't like what I had to say but he made it clear that for the forseeable future there will be no funds to rebuild the changing facilites. If any teams from Torpoint want more info then just contact me privately.

It has effected a number of teams and the community, it's out of Torpoint Duchy's hands and they have to play somewhere so everyone will just have to accept it and not worry about it, at least you'll still get to play. 

Just going back to the Raleigh pitches situation, I referee in the Devon Wednesday league, and HMS Raleigh play in that league on a wednesday,  and they use the pitches at Spickernell,  is there no way the teams can change at the Torpoint Ath club, and make there way to the pitch, its only two minutes up the road, they are lovely pitches to play on, and well looked after.

Edited by Roger Martin

Guest cescfab_4

This is definitely a hot topic within Torpoint as a whole. As a previous Torpoint Duchy manager, in my final full season, 3 sides were using HMS Raleigh (Edgcumbe, Torpoint and Rame). This in itself caused problems and fixture congestion, resulting in mid-week games held at Raleigh and The Mill. I do agree that we are very fortunate to have The Mill at our disposal; the credit has to go to the ground staff for keeping it in such good condition. With Torpoint having 3 men's sides it will always be the Duchy having to play more during the week. I know for certain that when I was in charge all the boys wanted to play on a Saturday afternoon.

Pitches will forever be a problem in Torpoint, there are currently 6 men’s side playing from the area:

Torpoint Athletic (SWPL, ECPL, Duchy)

Edgcumbe (ECPL, Duchy)

Rame (Duchy) 

It is a great shame for the community (even sponsors) that Edgcumbe ECPL, Plymouth and Rame, Saltash have to play outside of the local area.

As always, I enjoy the discussions and debates on this forum. Please keep it going :)