Cornwall Football Forum

Duchy cup semi final

St Austell bossed the first half and enjoyed lots of possession but a horribly underhit back pass let Dent in to score the only real chance of the half and give Newlyn the lead against the run of play. St Austell would have been disappointed their dominance hadn't resulted in a goal in the first 45 minutes.

Newlyn came more into the game in the second half and went into a seemingly comfortable 3-0 lead by 70 mins. St Austell pulled a goal back when the linesman deemed the ball had crossed the line but Newlyn restored their 3 goal advantage soon after when veteran Russell Withers rolled back the years to turn the St Austell full back inside out before squaring to Chris Hall to score and allow Newlyn to see the game out.

Only real controversial moment was if the St Austell keeper should have been sent off during the 2nd half for taking out Dent when he was through on goal but Colin Spence saw it slightly differently and only produced a yellow card. The vocal, good humoured Newlyn support saw it slight differently LOL.

Although St Austell had the lions share of possession overall their experienced strikers never really threatened and it was Newlyn's finishing that ultimately decided the game and (in my completely biased opinion) I thought they deserved the win!

I'd just like to say that St Austell are a team that play football the right way and stick to that ethos. Pass and move to feet. The manager has justifiably won the Cornwall junior cup doing that and brought a standard of football to the junior level along with Fowey, Saltash and Torpoint that is a credit to the league. Good luck chasing the league and thanks for the 3 games this season.

St Newlyn East Manager Shaun

I'd just like to say that St Austell are a team that play football the right way and stick to that ethos. Pass and move to feet. The manager has justifiably won the Cornwall junior cup doing that and brought a standard of football to the junior level along with Fowey, Saltash and Torpoint that is a credit to the league. Good luck chasing the league and thanks for the 3 games this season.

St Newlyn East Manager Shaun

Well done to all at Newlyn East a great bunch of lads that work hard together, I wish you your supporters, committee and most of all manager Shaun all the very best in the final. Enjoy the day lads. Lastly go win the final and dedicate it to the memory of Kevin Polmounter, I am sure he will be cheering you on Ryan

Well done to St Newlyn East and all their supporters who were a credit to your club last night. Very good support and banter in the right way. Deservedly beaten twice in a week and I wish you the best of luck in the final.

Well done to the St Austell players, cant ask any more than how we played in the first 45, we are up against it at the moment for a number of reasons, but I know we will bounce back.

Finally I would like to congratuate Sticker on the job they have done there. The ground was immaculate and the club house looks great, along with the new stand it is a club going in the right direction, having played and managed there I know how much effort the committee put into that club and it is paying dividends.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Chris Knight

AFC St Austell.

Well done to St Newlyn East and all their supporters who were a credit to your club last night. Very good support and banter in the right way. Deservedly beaten twice in a week and I wish you the best of luck in the final.

Well done to the St Austell players, cant ask any more than how we played in the first 45, we are up against it at the moment for a number of reasons, but I know we will bounce back.

Finally I would like to congratuate Sticker on the job they have done there. The ground was immaculate and the club house looks great, along with the new stand it is a club going in the right direction, having played and managed there I know how much effort the committee put into that club and it is paying dividends.

Chris Knight

AFC St Austell.

Would just like to echo's Chris's comments about the pitch etc, thank you to Sticker for allowing the game to be played at their place.

Also to St. Austell who were gracious in defeat with all players shaking hands etc and wishing us well in the Final.

Denty :) x

Taken from the Duchy Website:
KMD Developments KO Cup semi-final St.Newlyn East 4 AFC St.Austell 1

St.Newlyn East denied AFC St.Austell the treble by knocking them out of the KMD Developments Knock Out Cup at the semi-final stage. The game played at Sticker on an immaculate surface, but in blustery conditions saw Newlyn defeat St.Austell for the second time in four days.

St.Austell had a lot of possession in the first half without causing too many problems to the Newlyn keeper. The tempo changed when a poor forty yard back pass from the experienced Phil Dingle fell far short of his keeper and Newlyn nipped in to take the lead. With the Newlyn defence in dominating form there were few scares for their keeper in the early stages of the second half. Newlyn were causing problems down the flanks and were quicker to most balls showing a greater desire. They went further ahead with a sloppy goal, but then hit a fine third. St.Austell hit the underside of the bar when it was easier to score, but then did get back in the game. A corner produced a fine save, but Geoff Dillon was on hand to force the ball home. The Newlyn keeper still got to the ball, but an assistant referee rightly ruled that the ball had crossed the line. With the expected St.Austell siege starting to grow, Newlyn quickly dispelled any threat of a comeback with a superb strike for their fourth goal. The game became rather feisty with a few leftovers from Saturday's league game producing a few bookings, but overall St.Newlyn East were worthy 4-1 winners. The Newlyn East goalscorers were Liam Dent with the first with further goals from Chris Hall (2) and Joe Hunter.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KMD Developments Knock Out Cup Final

St.Newlyn East v Godolphin Atlantic or Pensilva

on Monday 6th May

at Roche F.C. 6 p.m. kick off

Admission £2