Cornwall Football Forum

Fixtures 18/11/12

illogan Spartans 2 - 4 Troon

Troon scorers

Cook

Babo

J.philips

Butt

Troon assembled their strongest squad of the season for the big game against a talented Illogan side. Manager Marles had the luxury of having star names such as Norwegian international Scott Smeeth on the bench. Cultured ball playing centre back Alastair Woodman broke Steve Retchford's long standing club record in turning up 13 seconds before kick off and still getting changed in time with Retchford regularly turning up 30 seconds before kick off last season.

Troon had a great deal of the ball from kick off and took the lead after 5 minutes when the Cooks neat turn and finish gave Troon the lead. Illogan bounced straight back and forced Ady Martin into a couple of decent saves as they clearly weren't going to lie down. Marles decided that 10 minutes was enough to soften up the opposition and replaced himself with Babbo in a like-for-like swap in the middle of midfield. Babbo started to influence the game and after a couple of near misses side footed home number 2 on 25 minutes ending a fine passing move.

Illogan looked threatening at set-pieces throughout the first half and from a long free-kick a good header found the bottom corner to pull a goal back just before the break.

Troon had to ride their luck a little at the start of the second half when Rob Kellow, a man who takes Sunday league very seriously, made a terrific goal long clearance after a good save from Martin. William Hill also made a huge amount of money after taking several million in bets on Kellow giving away a penalty but Kellow produced a near faultless game at the back timing every tackle to perfection. Good work by Jason Phillips and Dan Oliver set up Tom Butt to lash the ball into the bottom corner to make it 3-1. With 20 minutes remaining Phillips lashed the ball into the roof of the net from close range to make the game safe. Illogan did pull a goal back in the last 10 minutes but Troon saw the game to record a superb win.

After the game Marles came out with his usual array of classic quotes such as: "This is the one we wanted", "I enjoyed my 10 minute cameo" and "I've only won the Peter Hickey Cup on 4 occasions, I've never mentioned this before". Troon face Crowntown next Sunday in the quarter-finals of the Peter Hickey Cup as Marles aims to re-live the glory years by getting his hands on the trophy once again.