Cornwall Football Forum

First visit to Treyew for season 2011-12

The pitch was as one would hope looking in very good condition considering it was the first game of the new campaign. A glossy programme too!

However it wasn't long before I heard the first moan of the season! Firstly - cobwebs all over the folding seats in the far side small half-way line stand! The general opinion was that they hadn't been touched since the end of last season. Then, soon after that followed the next grumble by people sitting for free in the same stand - they wanted to know from the steward what had happened to the railings that were normally perfectly angled at the side of each end to ensure they had an unbroken view? After all, they were sitting there for free!

The game itself was pretty good for a pre-season fixture. Yeovil brought quite a few with them considering it was only a friendly and although I have to admit to not knowing too many names of the Yeovil first team, I should imagine they were armed with a good handful at least. Their team was Dean Brill, Luke Ayling, Nathan Jones, Bondz N'Gala, JimPaterson, Paul Wotton, Andy Williams, Ed Upson, Steve MacLean, Gavin Williams,Kerrea Gilbert. Subs: Rhys Baggridge, Danny Fitzsimons (for Jones 85),Dominic Blizzard (for Wotton 52), Aaron Lescott (for Gilbert 58), Billy Gibson(for Blizzard 78), Lewis Clarke, Anthony Edgar (for G Williams 58), LewisPerkins (for A Williams 81), Alistair Slowe

With last season's 'keeper Martin Rice back at Torquay on a full-time basis Tim Sundercombe was in goal and looked comfortable; the rest of the starting line-up was : McConnell, Walker, Pugh, Adams, Ash ©, Taylor, Martin, Yetton, Afful and Smith and the last name got City off to a brilliant start with a shot from 20 yards or so going in after just a couple of minutes. Even when the visitors levelled on the 9th minute with a header from Andy Williams, Truro held their own, despite not having too many goal opportunities. Yetton and Martin both had shots from the edge of the box that didn't look too far away, while we won't mention Jake Ash's left footed effort! Did it go off for a goal-kick or a throw-in!

Danny Clay came on for Yetton who had to leave the entertainment before the break - a tweaking hamstring, leaving Afful the lone striker as there was no Barry Hayles today - I think I heard someone suggest he was playing in the Sky Sports Masters competition somewhere.

When Williams put Yeovil in front barely minutes after the second half kicked off, one might have been forgiven for thinking that was it, but Sundercombe never really came under any further pressure. Andy Watkins replaced Afful midway through the half before the afternoon finished on a good note for City when they levelled the contest seven minutes from time when Scott Walker's inswinging corner finished up in the back of the net. The man on the mic Tom Trust gave the goal to Walker, I think that was to save the blushes of a Yeovil player who completely misjudged his clearance!!!

This equalising goal also gave City's boss Lee Hodges the chance to give a short run-out to Bragg, Cooke and Yeoman (I hope I got their names right!).

Not a bad game overall considering its still July and early days for everyone. Although the guy not too far away from me in the stand managed to get 40 winks in the second half (see my facebook for the evidence, although some more photos will be on the CORNISH SOCCER website later this evening all being well)

Hi dave i was also at the match i thought truro played very well during the first half but the 2nd half was poor typical pre season but well done to both teams but truro do need some more players thought the goalie was poor and the defence was also not to good but its early days and they also missed barry hayles,because all truro done was kicked the ball up to little les affull and big bonz ngaila got there 1st every time .It was a enjoyable game thought the crowd would of been more but £10 was a bit steep when you can see qpr 1st team on fri at bodmin for the same price .Looking forward to seeing truro play torquay on the 30th of july they may have a new centre half then seip would be good and a new goalie and barry hayles back .Well done to both teams

Hate to disappoint but it looks as if Truro are hoping to sign Tim Sundercombe, the goally who played today. He's a former goalkeeper with Worcester City, 6ft 5ins and aged 22. The West Briton are suggesting that Lee Hodges "has been sufficiently impressed with what he has seen to offer Sundercombe a contract."

Guest man city fan

Hi dave i was also at the match i thought truro played very well during the first half but the 2nd half was poor typical pre season but well done to both teams but truro do need some more players thought the goalie was poor and the defence was also not to good but its early days and they also missed barry hayles,because all truro done was kicked the ball up to little les affull and big bonz ngaila got there 1st every time .It was a enjoyable game thought the crowd would of been more but £10 was a bit steep when you can see qpr 1st team on fri at bodmin for the same price .Looking forward to seeing truro play torquay on the 30th of july they may have a new centre half then seip would be good and a new goalie and barry hayles back .Well done to both teams

what was wrong the keeper he didnt make any major mistakes . he was quick off his line only seen him drop 1 ball

from a cross. i didnt think he was poor.

Just my opinion but i thought he was at fault with both goals he should of cut both crosses out but i will see what hes like when he plays against torquay when martin rice is in goal for torquay he made severel mistakes through the season but hes at torquay now .Overall a good truro performance