Cornwall Football Forum

Truro City v Leamington

Truro City 2 Leamington 2

Citys goals from Barry McConnell and Marvin Brown

One of Leamingtons goals from the Southern Premier Leagues current top scorer [on 24 goals] Mark Bellingham.

2 new signings in Citys team - Aaron Brown from Burton and Andy Lindegaard from Yeovil.

Attendance 430 including a large and vocal contingent from Leamington.

City look to be very much a team in transition as new manager Steve Thompson continues to bring in new signings. Work in progress...............?

For those that watched .... with recent signing Marvin Brown coming on in preference to Yetts, and scoring, where does Yetts rate do you reckon in the pecking order. New manager Steve Thompson very conveniently side-stepped the question!

Up to date table:-

1 Farnborough 23 17 5 1 59 21 +38 56

2 Brackley Town 25 14 5 6 58 38 +20 47

3 Cambridge City 22 10 9 3 45 25 +20 39

4 Nuneaton Town 20 11 5 4 43 24 +19 38

5 Bashley 21 11 5 5 40 31 +9 38

6 Halesowen Town (-10) 24 11 10 3 46 29 +17 33

7 Oxford City 23 8 8 7 34 29 +5 32

8 Banbury United 23 8 8 7 34 37 -3 32

9 Leamington 22 9 4 9 45 45 0 31

10 Chippenham Town 20 8 6 6 38 32 +6 30

11 Stourbridge 22 6 10 6 39 41 -2 28

12 Hednesford Town 21 6 9 6 34 33 +1 27

13 Truro City 20 7 5 8 37 38 -1 26

14 Evesham United 21 7 5 9 26 27 -1 26

15 Merthyr Tydfil (-10) 24 9 8 7 38 35 +3 25

16 Tiverton Town 22 6 5 11 22 31 -9 23

17 Bedford Town 23 5 7 11 32 45 -13 22

18 Didcot Town 21 5 6 10 33 38 -5 21

19 Swindon Supermarine 22 6 3 13 21 49 -28 21

20 Clevedon Town 23 4 7 12 28 47 -19 19

21 Hemel Hempstead Town 23 5 4 14 26 45 -19 19

22 Rugby Town 21 1 4 16 17 55 -38 7

The chap on Radio Cornwall, said to the manager "you must be really pleased with the size of crowd today". They said there was around 450 there, with 150 or so from Leamington! thats hardly a good crowd is it??

Seeing there was 2 live rugby international matches on the T/V I dont think that was a bad gate.In fact it was the 4th highest in our league.And yes I still think they count the home and away supporters when they calculate the attendance at a match,or dont they do it that way at Liverpool ? :)

Reference the Radio Cornwall interview: I listened in online. Warning bells rang in my head when ST answered the question about Yetton. Had he replied, "well, I had a choice and opted for Brown and luckily it paid off and Brown scored," I'd have thought I was listening to a rational thinker; but his reply showed the insight of a terrace fan. "Well he scored so that answers that." No, it doesn't. He and we have no way of knowing whether or not Yetton would have scored a hatrick or none at all. We always notice when a substitution "pays off", as if the manager miraculously knew what would happen - in which case I hope he does the lottery every week - and tend not to notice when a substitution makes no difference to the result. I might be down on Tuesday so might pop in and have a look...

Reference the Radio Cornwall interview: I listened in online. Warning bells rang in my head when ST answered the question about Yetton. Had he replied, "well, I had a choice and opted for Brown and luckily it paid off and Brown scored," I'd have thought I was listening to a rational thinker; but his reply showed the insight of a terrace fan. "Well he scored so that answers that." No, it doesn't. He and we have no way of knowing whether or not Yetton would have scored a hatrick or none at all. We always notice when a substitution "pays off", as if the manager miraculously knew what would happen - in which case I hope he does the lottery every week - and tend not to notice when a substitution makes no difference to the result. I might be down on Tuesday so might pop in and have a look...

I thought ST's response was said with a bit of venom...

Totally agree with Common Tater. I hate to say it, but i'm not keen on ST.

letting Dave Leanord go

Wasn't it more a case of Dave going by his own choice?

Well, DL gave up his teaching job that season thinking that City were going professional. Obviously when he found out that they were stay semi professional, DL realised that he gave his job up for nothing. Perhaps he felt messed around, that ticked him off, and he quit... who knows?

I wish DL hadn't gone. He was a brilliant manager.

Just as well I popped in to catch the Hemel Hempstead game otherwise the attendance would have been one less! I chuckled when the announcer suggested we spread ourselves out a bit to make ourselves look more! It's touches like that that make you feel you are being entertained and included. Right result, but what a poor attendance; yet the standard of football is far and away the best you'll see in Cornwall. Hemel Hempstead had a number of sharp-looking players: all players used by both sides would WALK into any Peninsula Premier side - yet football fans don't seem to have latched on. Football of this standard in Cornwall deserves four-figure gates just for the quality alone, never mind the result!

Felt sorry for the boy Yetton: "benched" repeatedly by the new boss, he looked sharp and up for it when he came on and was somehow thwarted twice by a very fine 'keeper. Deserved a goal and still very popular with the fans. Might add a few to the gate if he started regularly!

Might get to Halseowen.

Glad to see you were able to make a game. You're right in saying that the crowd was disappointing. Mind you, I also feel its disappointing to listen to some of the people that do turn up. Even they're not that grateful of the standard of football they're witnessing!

Could Truro be paying the penalty for all the success over the past four or so seasons?

My thoughts on the new faces:-

Andy Lindegaard - looks a useful acquisition and a "natural" left back. Good with either foot and I'm sure will get stuck in when necessary;

Aaron Brown - big lad at the back. Only concern was the fact that a couple of times he allowed opponents to get passed him a little too easy;

Marvin Brown - two goals and so one can't complain. Although obviously Steve Thompson rates the player by his comments in the West Briton:""He took his goals fantastically well. He is a good player who went through a rough spell at Weston-super-Mare, I know his quality and I am pleased to have him here." However, for me I need to see how things go over the next few games. I agree that Stewart Yetton should be given a run to see of he could be "as good" as Brown.

Nevertheless, a win is a win and another one hopefully on Saturday will get the crowd coming back for the next game.

Are you down again next week Common?