Cornwall Football Forum

Would you take the referees course if it was any cheaper?

Would you take the referees course if it was any cheaper?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Would you take the referees course if it was any cheaper?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Wouldn't do the course whatever the price.

bighairydave, all hobbies/interests cost us money eg, Birdwatching = Binoculars £800, Cycling= Cycle £500, Computing = £500, Music =instruments etc £400, Model Aircraft = into the hundreds, I could go on and bore people to death but I think it`s all relative. We have to accept in this day and age everything we do or like to do costs us cash.

Guest Bundiwilliams

i tell you what takes the -----

you pay to join the league, every other week you dont get a ref, but we managed to fulfil the fixtures, whether its with no ref or someone in the club stands in to ref it.

surely when you pay your affiliation to the league that should secure a ref for all your games?????

maybe if the league is not fulfilling there side of the contract what would they do if we refused to pay them every year????

what i am trying to get to, all clubs are helping out cornwall fa when we fulfil fixtures when there is no ref, so dont bother anymore, if there is no ref then dont play it, i am sure county fa will then come up with a plan on how to sort out the ref problem!!!!

the county fa is swimming in the money so why not do a cheaper course to encourage people to take it up??

i tell you what takes the ----

you pay to join the league, every other week you dont get a ref, but we managed to fulfil the fixtures, whether its with no ref or someone in the club stands in to ref it.

surely when you pay your affiliation to the league that should secure a ref for all your games?????

maybe if the league is not fulfilling there side of the contract what would they do if we refused to pay them every year????

what i am trying to get to, all clubs are helping out cornwall fa when we fulfil fixtures when there is no ref, so dont bother anymore, if there is no ref then dont play it, i am sure county fa will then come up with a plan on how to sort out the ref problem!!!!

the county fa is swimming in the money so why not do a cheaper course to encourage people to take it up??

Another "Let's blame everyone else but me" post. The clubs are doing the CCFA a favour by playing matches so they should sort it out? How does that work? Total, complete and utter rubbish.

We haven't got referees 'cause football has allowed it to become normal for referees to be abused.

I know it's the pantomime season so the I suppose the "Leagues" (it's all their fault anyway) can pinch one of the fairy's wands and magic up a few thick-skinned, fit, intelligent, never wrong young referees who love every decision they make being questioned in the foulest way.

About as much thought went into that post as went into my last blink.

When are you taking my advice baggie and taking the course yourself, I will come and watch and give you all the advice I can

May just do that in the next couple of years but still happy enough playing at the moment...you're a long time retired....but like I said If say my club gave me £75 for the course, I then qualify & begin reffing, 6 games in I can give them £30 back, if I get to ref the club I would waive the fee until the debt is paid....or just pay them back out of the fees anyway.

be 50quid for me with a 30quid refund after 6weeks. seems pretty good to me. If i was at the stage where i wanted to referee id def pay that. costs me 6quid a weekend to play now ( sat and sun). 3 weekends off footy and that would cost me that much anyway and i assume when people take up the course they will do it cause they want to and want to try and enjoy it

Can you add an option at the top that the cost of 20quid is irrelevant. Maybe interested in time???

I didnt realise that part of the cost for completing the course was reimbersed. I completed the course 6/7 years ago when i was at school as i wnated to understand the rules to greater extent and i have a strong interest in the sport.

I will stick by my answer in a similar topic; i would still be interested in the course if it was cheaper but at this stage in time as a player it would be no benefit to me, maybe when my playing days are over i will look at becomming a referee as i dont like seeing games called off due to no referee and i used to find it frustrating when it happend to me and my teams

the referee course is fully justified and a excellent course, it is and well worth the money and dont forget the cost includes CRB check which is about £30 and is complusory. if you think you know the laws and how the game should be refereed then get yourself on the next course because it is an eye opener and really enjoyable but dont attend if your not fully committed. :c:

I always intended to take up the whistle because i was not enjoying playing anymore, but someone told me to put my money where my mouth is in not too many words so i have :drink:

unfortunatly the use of the law 'common sense' isn't part of the course!

each to their own, but I wouldn't do the course for love nor money, don't want to become a referee ever in my life. nothing to do with the stick that they may take - each referee knows that that could happen with a contentious decision - just got better things to do with my time when I give up playing.

thank you st. darren here lies the problem to many players with your attitude (no offence mean't) play all their career and then walk away and put nothing back.this is not a new problem but the longer it goes on it will only get worse.

one other problem that has not been mentioned. loads of money available for clubs to have youth and female teams but not enough thought into how the system would cope with the numbers!!!!! i am not knocking youth or female football just making a point that obviously adds pressure on to referee secretaries. :unsure: we all have family life's and most cannot afford to give up two days every weekend :unsure:

the FA have put pressure on all clubs! have this, have that, set this up, set that up, and you'll get this extra money and things like that!

football clubs need to realise where their levels are. Some are in danger of trying to do to much for the short term and forgetting about the long term.

TCFC are the obvious example, Perranporth another, these clubs have relied on a money man to take them higher, what happens when he/she pulls out and says "no more" what happens then?

As for the refereeing side of things, thats my choice, there are some out there that are willing to do it, best of luck to them! And that is where my opinions lie on the fact, the referee's are there because they want to be, not because they're forced to be!

• 2 weeks later...

:SM_carton: Surely as this is a National Issue the FAT CATS AT FA HQ should be dripping some of there millions down to the ref's course either to pay for it or surely to sub it; as some one said previously maybe the course could be run at a discounted rate through a club as they are already affiliated to the FA..and courses should be ran at more locations and advertised better (as far as i know the only place in the west of cornwall is corn coll excuse me if i'm wrong!)maybe even advertised on this site and i'm sure the local rags would ad on the cheap??? i know of at leat 2 people in our club alone that want to do the course ...

rovers08 martin ault/ray brown are constantly advertising courses in the press and on the ccfa website and have even stated that if anyone can provide the people and venue they would attend. :wacko: have you approached the county for advice or asked your league for a contact number or even your secretary for a phone number from the county handbook. these people only know you exist if they are contacted they are not mind readers. :thumbsup:

martin ault 01209 214619

ray brown 0172674080 :c:

good luck hope the two of you pass it is well worth it believe me :drink:

Guest Flintstone

Sponsorship for referee courses, has been available and advertised,

for persons prepared to commit to reffing in the Duchy League.

No applications have ever been made!

So my opinion has got to be that it got nothing to do with money!

:SM_carton: Surely as this is a National Issue the FAT CATS AT FA HQ should be dripping some of there millions down to the ref's course either to pay for it or surely to sub it; as some one said previously maybe the course could be run at a discounted rate through a club as they are already affiliated to the FA..and courses should be ran at more locations and advertised better (as far as i know the only place in the west of cornwall is corn coll excuse me if i'm wrong!)maybe even advertised on this site and i'm sure the local rags would ad on the cheap??? i know of at leat 2 people in our club alone that want to do the course ...

courses are regularly run @ wendron, pz last spring and hayle this summer. If you really want to do the course you'd make the effort to find the nearest one to you. I did the course over a weekend at wendron. Anyone involved in football should have no problem contacting the CCFC or ask the ref about it next time you play, so there really is no excuse.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest bootboy

Padstow cant get a referee by all accounts, and they are paying for the course!.( Check out ref needed.) The Duchy league ask new teams to supply a ref for acceptance into the league as I am sure you all know, but if no one comes forward what can you do? If you check out their website tthey supplied a referee for training who then became ill. How do you find another person apart from keep asking people. Its a shame more players dont turn to the whistle after their playing days are over, they might even encourage the "Respect" campaign with some knowledge of what the players and referees are going through.........sorry there I was dreaming again. :(