Cornwall Football Forum

Foxhole Stars v St Dennis - ON

Foxhole 2 St Dennis 7

Saturday 5th December 2009

Foxhole's shocking season lurched further into the abyss after this comprehensive defeat to opponents two leagues below Peninsula One West to crash depressingly out of the Senior Cup at the first hurdle. Hopes had been raised when Rowe's great header flew past Barrett from Pinhammer's 25th minute cross but within fourteen minutes Carl Rickard's drive into a crowded box had struck a defender, caught in the wind and dropped underneath the bar for a fortuitous equaliser. Two minutes before the break, Warne tapped home Lee Rickard's centre to give the visitors a deserved lead at the break, St Dennis having weathered early Foxhole pressure to adapt better to the worsening conditions, with Warne, Brown and White all going close. The referee was strangely lenient on some challenges of doubtful legitimacy by the Saints, although quick to punish with cautions dissent by Carpenter and Bullock, but any grievances were soon forgotten after an embarrassing second-half collapse.

Lee Rickard made it 3-1 on 52, his twenty yard effort eluding Ryan Holland at the near post before he seized on Bullock's under-hit backpass to round the keeper for their fourth goal eleven minutes later, Meens then apparently being booked for a word out of turn. Continuous heavy rain caused pools of water to form which, ironically, had not happened during last week's abandonment, but the referee rightly determined to complete the game which had been decided long before the grateful Hawke slotted home the fifth after Carl Rickard's fierce shot had rebounded kindly off the bar. Barrett's wind-assisted drop-kick almost bounced over Holland, who also denied Hayhurst from the edge of the area as the Saints drove greedily forward in numbers, but Grose's push on Ansell allowed Rowe to reduce the arrears from the spot with seven minutes remaining. However, Lee Rickard, still being afforded the freedom of Goverseth, soon completed his hat-trick, before his close-range drive at the death looped over Holland off the knee of Meens.

Foxhole (4-5-1): Ryan Holland; Dexter Lawrence, Sam Kenny (sub. Kelvin Greenaway), Nick Carpenter (sub. Chris Grose), Daniel Meens; Ross Pinhammer (sub. Ian Stone), Liam Nicholls, Adam Holland, Jamie Bullock, Scott Ansell; Mark Rowe.

St Dennis (3-5-2): Michael Barrett; Dave Rickard, Nigel White, David Grose; Jason Warne (sub. Adrian Rundle), Chris Brown (sub. CJ Bird), Michael Brown, Ryan Hayhurst, Richard Hawke; Carl Rickard (sub. Scott Hill), Lee Rickard.

Referee: Mr Richard Butter (North Hill).

Guest mariner

Played against St Dennis in last seasons Junior cup final and have to say they are a great outfit, and Mr L Ricks is a quality player all the best St Dennis for the rest of your season :c:

Fair play to St Dennis today they look a very decent outfit, great movement upfront, some well taken goals and wanted it more than Foxhole. Also as we already knew they are more than capable of playing at a higher standard.

A fair crowd there too considering the weather!!

Yesterday was a awsome result for us. Every1 having superb performances especially David (muzzy) rickard at sweeper and micheal brown in midfield. Never expected us to win that comfortably, but the football that we had played even in the 2nd half conditions showed that we are more then capable playing at a higher standered,would never have thought we hadn't played for 4 weeks all the lads were class. Every time we went forward I felt we were gunna score. Was an amazing game to be involved in, will be looking forward to the draw :thumbsup: any1 home would be great. :c:

I see :P times were hard back then, now we have rebuilt and are having a great season back in senior football. Were lookin to progress each year now and with the squad we have feel we can achieve that. There are alot of lads in the side who can quite easily play at a higher level but are stayin loyal to there village which is also a huge bonus for the club. Much appreciated Thank you adlestrop :c:

Well done ricks hopefully if i can hold onto the current crop at St Teath we may well follow you lads up the leagues.Not surprised you won but the margin was a lot bigger than expected,i also feel for Billy though good manager and i wish foxhole a ll the best for the future.

results over the past ten seasons or so in management does show how good a manager Billy is mate.

When playing in SWPL football other things come into play such as a budget which can influence how well your side is gunna do.

I would say things down there are influenced alot by the Rickards, who's father manages St Dennis, so naturally his boys want to play for him and this has no doubt attracted other good players to the side.

These things happen, but I reckon if this werent the case alot of them would be in the Foxhole colours playing for Billy.