Cornwall Football Forum

Challenger or No Hoper?

Guest Freddy_f

What a load of tosh !!!! isnt success relative??? surly for a team with no budget at all competing in the ''also ran'' section could/should be seen as a success ??

At the same time failure to win silverware should been seen as un-successful for club with big budget

i dont think its as black and white as massey puts it there !!!

Guest Peppermint

A bit unfair the posting of Freddy f - it was very intersting to read the predictions of Steve Massey and I am sure it has provoked thoughts and opinions from a good number of people who follow football in the two counties.

Steve has not taken into account budgets because quite frankly nobody knows exactly what they are although people make assumptions which are often wide of the mark.

I know Steve has mentioned my club in the challengers so I am bound to agree but it is nice to read the thoughts of someone who has earned respect of every fair minded football follower in the county - keep up the writing Steve and it will be a pleasure to welcome you to Mount Wise at some juncture this season.

Adlestrop has hit the nail on the head as usual.

Guest Freddy_f

It was not meant to be seen as un-fair , just continuing the debate !! i just dont think you can be as black and white as to put teams into groups with out looking at the circumstances , for example , look at millbrook , why are they in the ''also ran'' cat ????? when you have foxhole , and godolphin who are in the '' no hopers'' group yt both above millbrook in the league

Guest Peppermint

Fair comment Freddy f - it just shows that it is all about different opinions.

You mention Godolphin and Foxhole - they gave Newquay a good game last night and a scare or two along the way in difficult conditions with the wind playing havoc.

Our near neighbours Godolphin are a good side capable on their day of beating anyone in the league - we know much to our cost last Boxing Day! Derek Martin has assembled a good squad of players and they will always be hard to defeat. Millbrook were on the wrong end of a 9-3 defeat at Mount Wise recently but but still produced enough to suggest that they can upset teams during the season.

It is all about opinions and I am sure there will be many twists and turns before the season is finished.

What I was trying to convey is that I and others enjoy the thought provoking mutterings of Steve and long may it continue to engineer debate.

Guest Freddy_f

Fully agree with you in regards the debate !!!

I was just pointng out that if if millbrook are in the ''also rans'' why are foxhole and godolphin not

maybe steve himself can explain his thinking behind this one ????

Freddie F,

Good Morning, you wouldn't be THE Freddie F, my hero and fellow Lancastrian/England Cricketer by any chance??

With close on to 500 hits in 24 hour period for Massey's Mutterings page, it would be unbelievable to think that everyone agreed with my comments. But you have kindly taken the time to post your thoughts and I thank you very much for the "constructive" feed back!

It is always my intention when writing for Mutterings to provide "An illuminating, thought provoking and hopefully entertaining article".

The fact you have responded so passionately, surely means I have achieved my objective!

To answer your question, NO, success is not relative when talking about who is going to win the league? You are either going to be a Winner, Challenger or No Hop-er.

I take your point though quite correctly that success can come in many forms. BUT only when setting goals to judge that success on. For instance a teams success could be in avoiding relegation, Teams setting themselves a top 6 finish and achieving it would also be a success.

My article was to try and predict who was going to WIN the league, Challenge for the League and those that would not have a say.

I'm sorry if I pressed an "anger" button or two with you? But if you read the whole article, I do say "Just for a bit of Fun" and then make the point that "teams can and will move between groups depending on form being shown over a period of time".

When I submitted this piece to Cornish Soccer a month ago, the lists for both the Premier and West Division were drawn up purely on my opinions at that time.

Once again Thank you for the feed back, but I do think the points you have raised so passionately are not really related with this article and more likely our views have been "lost in translation" while reading!

But take your point that "Success" can come in many forms when setting the "Goals" to judge that success on!

Now there's another Topic for Debating!!

Please keep reading and look out for even more Illuminating,thought provoking and entertaining views from Massey's Mutterings.

Kindest Regards

Mass

Guest Freddy_f

Fully agree with you in regards the debate !!!

I was just pointng out that if if millbrook are in the ''also rans'' why are foxhole and godolphin not

maybe steve himself can explain his thinking behind this one ????

Steve thanks for your reply

I now see what you mean and take your points on board

but id still like to know how you came to sorting out some of the clubs .

for example

Whats the thinking behind the choices of Millbrook , and then foxhole and godolphin in a lower cat ???

I personally think it's great that someone like Mass cares enough for cornish football to put his thoughts in writing.He does not have to do it,and after what he has achieved in the game as a pro,semi-pro and then management its great to think that he can be so passionate towards football in cornwall.Having played with,against and for steve and brother stuart,im all ears when they talk football,their knowledge of the game is second to none.Keep up the great work Mass,i always enjoy reading you're views,and thanks for you're input into cornish football,we were lucky to have had someone like yourself down here and glad you caught the ''cornish football'' bug!!! :c: Football is all about opinions,thats why this forum is enjoyed by so many of us! So well done Deacs too. :clapper: