Cornwall Football Forum

"this is Step 6, not Sunday football" Trever Mewton 31/10/09

Watched a fairly exciting 0-0 draw betwen Torpoint and Penzance yesterday but was disappointed by the behaviour of the Penzance manager.

Don't know whether he expected a walk in the park but Torpoint showed spirit to match his Penzance team and as a Magpies victory looked less and less likely his attention turned from his own players to the referee and assistants. I think they all did well under difficult circumstances in a fast moving game.

But midway through the second half Mr Mewton lost it by berating an assistant for fully two minutes and concluding with the quote "this is Step 6, not Sunday football". He then ended the game with a further tirade in the middle of the pitch and walked the long distance back to the Torpoint changing rooms continuing his 'discussions' with the officials.

I think he could have adapted his own quote "this isn't the Premiership, it's Step 6" because his behaviour was straight out of the mould of a number of the top flight's best.

Guest avidfollower

Having witnessed every team who currently occupy places within the Calsberg South West Peninsula League, I have seen the good, the bad and the down right ugly, as managers go. Whilst I believe the majority conduct themselves conduct themselves in a reasonable manner, with passion for the game, there are obviously managers with a serious attitude problem.

The Good Guys:Stuart Dudley, Ian Southcott Brian Howard, Bobby Oaten, Kevin Hendy, Leigh Cooper etc.

The Bad Guys:Alan Carey, Trevor Mewton etc

Whilst my opinion will not be everyones, i have it.

It is good to see the likes of Carey currently serving a touchline ban for previous indiscretions.

Guest avidfollower

Ah, good question dave.

Having witnessed Darren Gilbert at Kimberley on friday evening, he did look as though he has mellowed. Or was he just "shell shocked".

Darren is very passionate, but does "overstep the mark", from time to time. Could this be Careys influence?

Could the attitude of Mewton and Carey centre around Money? Money paid out, means we need to win at all costs.

I do hope the "Good Guys" win silverware this season.

Guest Peppermint

Having witnessed the antics of some of the managers mentioned by avidfollower and the bad guys I would take issue with at least one of the names in the so called good guys list. Some of the antics and behaviour of them would make Trevor and Alan look like saints!!!!

Some managers could be given an unlimited budget and still win nothing.

Trevor may have been given the funds but he also delivered the silverware which presumably was the reason the clubs gave him the job in the first place.

I'm not condoning any outbursts or the like, but as I wasn't there I can't make any comment.

I played for him for around 5 years and happen to think he's a good manager and just as importantly a good man too.

Some managers could be given an unlimited budget and still win nothing.

Trevor may have been given the funds but he also delivered the silverware which presumably was the reason the clubs gave him the job in the first place.

I'm not condoning any outbursts or the like, but as I wasn't there I can't make any comment.

I played for him for around 5 years and happen to think he's a good manager and just as importantly a good man too.

you would always be on my good boys list tommy,top man :D :D

Would just like to echo Tommy's support for Trev.I played for him at Newquay,Falmouth Town and Porthleven and his passion for the game,particularly in Cornwall is immense.He can talk football for hours!He just likes to win which sometimes takes him over the edge,and to be fair,winning is what he has done almost all of his management career.A few of us have got alot to thank him for in cornish football.Has there ever been a more succesful manager than Trev in cornish football??? :clapper:

Andy - a couple of months ago you had a `pop` at me when you earwigged a private telephone conversation after a Torpoinbt game and you made it sound as if you were doing it for the good of the game. On that occasion you berated me for having a go about the the referee of the day because in your words "I was trying to make the game sound better than it was". Now you're here having a `pop` at Trevor Mewton. Firstly, I guessing you don't know Trevor because if you did, you would certainly know the passion he has for this game and secondly, if you're going to have your say on this site about individuals and their personal opinions, at least have the decency to give us your full name. You'll find that people will give your view more creedance if you do. I took it upon myself to find out who you were after your less than fair view last time but please, if your going to be personal, have the balls to give your real name.

Ken - You may not believe this but I thought twice about posting this because of the discussion we had last time. After all I might have mis heard again :D

You are right I don't know him and I wasn't questioning his track record or his passion for the game - just commenting on what was a rather unsavoury ending to a pretty good game of football.

Giving my name won't add much but as you ask it is Andy Yeatman and my involvement in football is as committee member at Dobwalls where I also write the content for our small programme. My son plays at Torpoint which is why I often watch them and my only experience of management was for three unsuccessful but rewarding three years with a youth team.

And by the way Ken, if we do meet up properly one day I'll let you know why I was in a grumpy mood on that day at Torpoint when you accused me of not having my hearing aid in.

I can't understand the problem with managers showing a bit of passion, would you all prefere them to sit in the dugout and not say a word, and while were at it lets stop the players showing any passion as well, Then you can moan there is no passion out there on a Saturday afternoon. I know for a fact that what ever the budget (which seems to be a big issue with some people out there) Alan Carey does a lot of work behind the scenes, as i'm sure does Trev and the rest of the managers, so come Saturday after all there hard work on the training pitch and team talks before a game, they show a bit of emotion on the Saturday if they think a Ref or his assistant have made a mistakel as do the players and fans and if the manager or player oversteps the mark then they get punished. Gents football is a game of passion why you are talking about trying to remove it beats me !!!!. Andy if your son plays for Torpoint and shows no passion then i'm sure his manager won't be to happy..