Cornwall Football Forum

liam Eddy transfer

Last Saterday I watched Falmouth V Culumpton Rangers, It was A very good match Falmouth are begining to play well together,

I was a little suprised when a fellow Town suporter told me that On the Truro city web site Someone had made the comment that it was a pity that Liam Eddy had left Truro, just to go to that Beer drinking tin pot Club down the road,

If this is True I find this is a very unfriendly & nasty remark to make against a club who has a long history association with Truro City, In my view if this is proven to be the case this person should be repremanded by Truro City & banned from the web site for life,

I know that the genuine City suporters would be very angry if someone from Falmouth had made that remark about their club, because I am sure that Falmouth Town & Truro city suporters have mutual respect for each other,

I personally have a lot of good friends who suport the city,

so please let us keep it like that, there is no room for bad mouthed people on this forum or even Truro City Web site

Hammers :angry::c: :c:

Last Saterday I watched Falmouth V Culumpton Rangers, It was A very good match Falmouth are begining to play well together,

I was a little suprised when a fellow Town suporter told me that On the Truro city web site Someone had made the comment that it was a pity that Liam Eddy had left Truro, just to go to that Beer drinking tin pot Club down the road,

If this is True I find this is a very unfriendly & nasty remark to make against a club who has a long history association with Truro City, In my view if this is proven to be the case this person should be repremanded by Truro City & banned from the web site for life,

I know that the genuine City suporters would be very angry if someone from Falmouth had made that remark about their club, because I am sure that Falmouth Town & Truro city suporters have mutual respect for each other,

I personally have a lot of good friends who suport the city,

so please let us keep it like that, there is no room for bad mouthed people on this forum or even Truro City Web site

Hammers :angry::c::c:

Dont forget hammers this Pathetic little Truro Follower is probably one of their new breed , Who has no history of supporting Truro and no history of watching any south western league matches at all , im sure he must be one of those thats just jumped on the bandwagon for a little bit of glory hunting, Is it any wonder that lots of cornish football fans dont wish Truro any success when they have Followers like this. COME ON YOU IRONS! :SM_carton:

It is true that a member of the forum did refer to Falmouth Town as a "pub team." When explanations were called for, it was revealed that the choice of words was an excess of the old rivalry between the Clubs, and was not to be taken as an accurate description. The larger point was that the level of competition for Falmouth (through no fault of their own), week in and week out, is not what it is for City, and thus Mr. Eddy won't get his mettle tested and tempered in the same way.

Just as there is the random crank for other sides who can see no merit in any other Club, Truro City may have attracted some with tunnel vision -- but that should not, and does not, reflect the majority (I'm sure!) of the City fans.

We are happy to have a history of fierce and friendly rivalry with Falmouth Town, the resurrection of the Aubrey Wilkes Cup, and the future possiblity of loan arrangements, etc. :smiley20::c:

But really, Hammers? Banned for life? Oh, what a world it would be if members got banned for ragging on other Clubs! Who'd be left on this forum, for instance? :D

I once managed a PUB TEAM and we played PUB TEAM football, our highlight was to beat a factory team who 'paid' CONFERENCE players to play for them, that day their team contained 8 players with Non League International experience, never has a 2-1 win been so sweet bringing an end to their five year winning streak.

Maybe that is why I don't find the Pub Team comment offensive.

Why are people so touchy over tongue in cheek comments posted to attract a reaction?

Fifty odd years ago when I played in Cornwall many games resembled "Caveman" combat, then it wasn't a "War of Words" differences were sorted out on the pitch, blood, sweat and if playing away getting clear of where you played as soon as possible when the final whisle was blown.

XEMBLA - In those days it was the REAL Wild West.

Xembla, I agree with Snooper, this so called fan is pathetic, because in my book a grown up true suporter would not make comments like that,

like the real City fans I am a proud Town suporter. I have suported Town from the age of 20 I am A Budock boy but I have lived in Truro since February 7th 1972 I can see the City ground from my house, some people cannot understand why I do not suport Truro, but like many City suporters it's in my Blood, Falmouth is my home Town,

also Falmouth may not have Truro's money behind them, but that does not make me dislike Truro City, in my book best of luck to them,

I would still go to falmouth even if they were just a pub team,

I stick to my comments "we do not need these pathetic types on the forum" or even pretending to be true football fans,

Xembla & Snooper I repect your comments, with regards to this so called football suporter,

Hammers,

PS I was also told on Saterday that Liam has signed full time for Falmouth,

Best of luck to the City tonight, if you win you will have caught up Falmouth's record

Sorry boys, I am a day out I have just read that City lost last night,

But I am sure that will give Truro an even greater effort to reach the first round proper, to emulate Falmouth Town,

Hammers :c:

Sorry boys, I am a day out I have just read that City lost last night,

But I am sure that will give Truro an even greater effort to reach the first round proper, to emulate Falmouth Town,

Hammers :c:

As a long time supporter of Truro I have many great memories of games against Falmouth - some good and a few bad. I can still remember as if it was yesterday our 4-1 demolition of them in a League Cup Final at Porthleven and I can also still remember our 2-3 defeat in another League Cup Final at Mount Wise (we did come from 0-2 down to force extra time). And there was our second round FA Vase clash at Bickland. Town scored in the first minute but we won 2-1. We went out in the next round, but what the hell? We'd knocked Town out at their gaff.

There was also the year they pipped us for the SWL title on the last day of the season. We had to beat Blazey and they had to not win home to Bodmin. We did our bit - We scored 6, but with 10 minutes to go it was 0-0 at Bickland and then Falmouth got an indirect free kick and as I recall being told (I was at Blazey obviously) Bodmins keeper made a hash of it in some way and Falmouth won the title and we were left to stew.

However come the next season we were both playing on the last day again. This time we had the advantage. So long as we beat Porthleven at home (and they were a top team then) we were champs, but if we failed and Falmouth won their game...

Well Falmoth did their bit. I can't exactly recall who they were playing but as this was a midweek it would have been someone without floodlights because their game was over well before ours was (possibly Torpoint?). Anyway we knew we had to win. Trouble was with a minute remaining it was 1-1. To my shame I had left my normal post behind the County Hall End goal and was on my way to give the lads a consoling clap off at the dressing room entrance. As I was walking backwards looking back to the goal Chris Tomlinson's shot was deflected into the net. I went arse over tip and ended up celebrating the goal like Charlie George in the 71 cup final - only he meant to lay flat out on the ground!

I can still recall the picture of towns boss (was it Dave Ball or something like that?) face in the West Briton. Utter dejection. I loved it.

Then there was the traditional Boxing Day morning fixture. Great stuff. Better than Xmas Day. To be honest while I'm delighted Truro are advancing I do miss the local rivalries which we just can't build up now. Our last few meetings with Town in the Senior and FA Cup haven't felt the same and in the FA Cup last season the class difference was such that I felt a bit sorry that the gut wrenching tension had gone, though you did put the wind up me in the Senior Cup games for a while. It was a bit like seeing a girl you fancied from years ago and discovering she isn't quite so attractive anymore. A bit depressing and a reminder that time moves on, not always for the best.

I used to dislike Falmouth with a passion but it was a footballing dislike built on respect because they were a team who could and did turn us over. They had some great players who I would have wanted at Truro. I hope Falmouth get back to where they deserve to be and you've got a top boss and a good new centre half called Smith and Liam Eddy won't do you any harm either.

And I will add that if Falmouth are a pub team then it's a pub I will be happy to sup at...if the beer's good and cheap of course! Not everyone at Truro is made of money.

Guest Postie Pidge

We did our bit - We scored 6,

You scored 5 - St Blazey 1-5 Truro City

I can't exactly recall who they were playing but as this was a midweek it would have been someone without floodlights because their game was over well before ours was (possibly Torpoint?).

It was Liskeard, their lights were out of action so it kicked off at 7pm.

Gutted listening to the commentary on the radio when Tommo popped up in injury time!

Guest Damian Stevens

the games Old Trewonian mentioned i played in them all for Truro , fantastic memories . The game against Porthleven was incredible . We had beaten them earlier that season in the senior cup final 3-2 after 2-2 at Bickland park and they were great games to play in however that night when the score was 1 - 1 all our players knew Falmouth had won and we had to score and it just didnt look like happening until Tommo's speculative shot took wicked deflection and wrong footed their keeper , unbelievable ! As a Falmouth lad i couldnt wait to take on Falmouth especially boxing day ( i got a lot of stick from the F-troop though! ) , those games i will never forget .

The FA vase game at Bickland was great also , i remember going one down in front of a big crowd and then Adrian Bleasdale equalising and then Steve Wherry heading in a rare pin point cross from myself ! good days , shame we have to get old !

thanks for the memories!

Guest Postie Pidge

I remember 1995/96 when we met each other 4 times. Truro took the early season honours in a Charity Cup game at Treyew Road where City fought back to win 3-2 after Falmouth took a 2-0 lead.

Boxing Day at Bickland, 11am scheduled kick off was put back half an hour to let the pitch thaw and Falmouth won 2-1 courtesy of a Dale Band brace if I'm not mistaken.

February 17th 1996 - Falmouth Town 4-0 Truro City in the Cornwall Senior Cup. Cracking game but no one would have ever predicted the scoreline.

Game of them all was Saturday 4th May, Truro, on their home turf could wrap up the title with a win over local rivals Town. A Gozzy penalty gave them the perfect start but Falmouth finally triumphed 4-2 and I'll neevr forget Andy Waddell running into the crowd to celebrate and duly got booked! Truro had to settle for a 4-0 midweek win at Appledore to claim their prize.

If I had to pick a favourite it would probably be Saturday 17th August 1996. Opening day of the season with champions Truro playing new look Falmouth who were written off before the season had even started. Truro took a 2-0 lead and looked comfortable. Falmouth clawed their way back into the game and eventually won 4-2. Everything that season seemed to go our way (except for that Vase defeat of course!)

Guest Damian Stevens

No Gills , no pens or free kicks ! back then all my goals where 6 yard tap ins ! Was always strange playing against Truro when back at Falmouth Town , always seemed to score against them , the winner in Charity cup final 2002 ( ish ! ) in 1 - 0 win , im sure Pidge can clarify which season ? have town won a trophy since ?

Thanks (or not) Postie Pidge for re-awakening some suppressed memories. I'd actually forgotten the Charity Cup game - how age or maybe drink whithers the brain cells. However I do remember those beatings, maybe it's the masochist in me.

The 4-0 Senior Cup defeat was a QF was it not? I was there for that. Wish I hadn't been, but there you go. Mind I do recall us coming down for a midweek league game (not necessarily the same season) and returning the 4-0 compliment.

The 2-4 was the most irritating defeat. As you said it stopped us claiming the title at home and while it never looked like it was going to stop us winning the title unfortunately our last two games were not only away but away in Devon at Appledore in midweek which getting to was a non starter and then at Holsworthy on FA Cup Final day which, given that the title was won by then, the bloke I got lifts with decided he wasn't going to miss the cup final for a foregone conclusion. As a consequence after a season of loyal supporting I never got to see the team lift the championship trophy which leaves the season in a bit of an anti-climax. Thanks Town!

I also remember a near punch up at that game when one of our supporters confronted a goading Falmouth fan with the line "That's what you're reduced to - stopping us winning the title for a week!" Not quite Oscar Wilde but more hurtful than a thump.

Whatever happened to Andy Waddell? He was one hell of a striker and we had him at Truro for about three quarters of a season. As I recall he scored in the Senior Cup Final against Porthleven, limped off and that was that.

Also great to hear from Damien Stevens - Treyew Legend and scorer of two of the best goals I've seen. One up at Wadebridge and another against Launceston (when they were good). Pity he went to Falmouth, but as the famous last line of Some Like It Hot goes: "Well, nobody's perfect."

Guest Postie Pidge

The 4-0 Senior Cup defeat was a QF was it not? I was there for that. Wish I hadn't been, but there you go. Mind I do recall us coming down for a midweek league game (not necessarily the same season) and returning the 4-0 compliment.

I don't recall Truro ever beating Falmouth 4-0, especially at Bickland Park!

Guest Damian Stevens

thanks for kind words Old Treyewonian , and Pidge i remember beating Town midweek 4 -0 or 4 - 1 cos i scored and im sure Steve Wherry ( fantastic player ) had hatrick .

Guest Postie Pidge

Thinking about it, 1994/95 Falmouth Town 1 Truro City 4 is the only one that springs to mind.

Snake, no one scored a hat trick when we beat Truro on the opening day of the 1996/97 season. Wadds had moved on by then.

the games Old Trewonian mentioned i played in them all for Truro , fantastic memories . The game against Porthleven was incredible . We had beaten them earlier that season in the senior cup final 3-2 after 2-2 at Bickland park and they were great games to play in however that night when the score was 1 - 1 all our players knew Falmouth had won and we had to score and it just didnt look like happening until Tommo's speculative shot took wicked deflection and wrong footed their keeper , unbelievable ! As a Falmouth lad i couldnt wait to take on Falmouth especially boxing day ( i got a lot of stick from the F-troop though! ) , those games i will never forget .

The FA vase game at Bickland was great also , i remember going one down in front of a big crowd and then Adrian Bleasdale equalising and then Steve Wherry heading in a rare pin point cross from myself ! good days , shame we have to get old !

thanks for the memories!

i remember you getting back my place 6 hrs late you wasnt old then mate,how did u forget your way home ###### :drink::drink: :drink:

Thanks for the info about Andy Waddell and it's been great reliving some old memories of derby days past. Let's hope we have them again but with Falmouth coming up the leagues rather than us going down!

And don't worry if you couldn't remember the four goal beating at Bickland at first Postie Pidge, I've suppressed memories of virtually all our derby games between 1999 and 2005 except for a 3-3 Boxing Day draw at Bickland.

Oh and one last thing about the Falmouth/Truro rivalry and it's something we City fans should remember: If it hadn't been for some dodgy paperwork on Falmouth's part which led to a points deduction we may not have got promoted out of the SWL when we did. So for that, whoever was responsible, we are truely grateful.

thanks for kind words Old Treyewonian , and Pidge i remember beating Town midweek 4 -0 or 4 - 1 cos i scored and im sure Steve Wherry ( fantastic player ) had hatrick .

Damian you so and so Falmouth boy playing for them you should have been Hung drawn and quartered mate !!! , Only joking Damo :yahoo: