Cornwall Football Forum

Why was Mr.Rowett sacked?

Integrity and loyalty have been firmly kicked out ot the back door at Polair with the removal of popular manager Glyn Rowett.It will be difficult to believe the reason was any other than player power.

Consider:not long ago the club was at its nadir-no local interest;Clubhouse closed and ground in a state of disrepair.Why,it was even a possibility that the club would withdraw from the League.

Enter Mr.Glyn Rowett:a much-respected LOCAL man who was to pick up the pieces,and revitalise the whole place both on and off the field.There is no need to re-state the success here.And the reward? An unceremonious sacking done over the telephone.It is my understanding that during and after last Tuesday,s training no indication whatsoever was afforded the hapless Mr.Rowett:instead a telephone call later with the news.

I am not saying that Glyn was the best manager in the world:but he did not deserve this gutless treatment.Just who was responsible for this decision I neither know nor care: but my feeling about the individual is just this: I DOUBT WHETHER BETWEEN HIS BACK STUD AND HIS BACKSIDE, THERE IS ANYTHING BUT HIS BRACES

Statement has been released and will be available to read in the Western Morning News on Saturday or indeed on the Afc st austell website. Afc St Austell consider this matter closed now and as a club are looking forward to continue the good work that has been put in place.

There will be many people on this forum who think they know the truth. But indeed unless you are associated to the club, you will never know.

Lets put this difficult subject behind us now and look forward to saturday and the most important thing.......... FOOTBALL.

Thanks

Money Man

as a member of the committee this subject should be put to rest now.a decision was made by the committee NOT THE PLAYERS and it has to be accepted by everyone.alot of people (i believe) do try to "stir it up" which is wrong as i would like all clubs to go on with their own business.

al the best to glyn it what other avenue he takes in football.

what has the st.austell voice being a club sponser got to do with anything.that is purely a sponsership deal nothing more if that is what you are implying uncle albert.

All you people that have posted on this topic dont know anything about the situation and are purely trying to stir things up. Get on with supporting your own club and let St Austell get on with their own business. Paul I forgot St Blazey is run all above board. If I remember at the start of the season Bobby Oaten was told he was to be in charge for another season then a week later he was gone what happened there?? In fact dont tell me because I dont care. Things always happen in football weather its good or bad for a reason. If the players or the commitee picked the team then why would St Austell already have a new manager in charge . Get on with supporting your own club if you are all so interested in St Austell then you should come and watch them every week rathen than your own club.!!!!!!!!

Well said Kellow. People really dont have anything better to do than to stir up issues and cause trouble. Not being funny bobby... but what do you know about our team selection? How people can come on here saying things like 'the players pick the team' is the biggest load of crap. Noone knows what goes on in the changing room except management and players. As for the comment about St.Austell facing extinction again.. the decision was made to prevent this! To summarise.. for all you people who really havent got a clue, which is the majority of people that use this forum... keep your noses out and concentrate on your own teams!

Thanks for letting us in on the reason leaner

In your own words, the reason that Glyn Rowett was sacked was to stop the club going into extinction.

how could this be so when the same man has steered you to credability and cup success in such a short space of time and you are currently well placed this season.

You say you have a new manager lined up to take charge, lets hope for his sake he is willing to pander to the wishes of the players and the Club committee.

When will you be announcing the name of your newly appointed yes man.

Good luck to Glyn Rowett in his next job, he deserves so much better than this.

There were a number of players at the club who were unhappy. The committee was worried that the club was going to take a turn for the worst and be back to square one, and wanted to take action before it got to that stage. It may seem unfair on Glyn, because he was sacked through no fault of his own, however the committee based their decision that they felt would work out better for the club long term. Again... very hard for people to understand when they have nothing to do with our club!!

In football, peoople come and go on a regular basis. There were specific reasons for Glyn's departure which were expressed in a committee meeting and acted upon. There seems to be a lot of drivel expressed by individuals on here based on hearsay and conjecture by people who have no involvement with St Austell and take any opportunity to make derogatory comments regarding the club. Maybe some people should look at the way their club behaves, as I can think of one club that constantly makes illegal approaches to players and assured their manager at the end of last season that he would be in charge this season, and surprise, surprise he isn't there any more. I was waiting for the issue of money to come up, and I can think of another club who expressed their concern at their lack of money during the penultimate South Western League season and fearing that they were going to pull out of the league, and then they find a rich benefactor who was going to help them get into the Premier Division of the Peninsula League, except that money brought them nothing. If some individuals can go on this forum and make accusations and spread unfounded rumours about a situation they know little or nothing about, then it makes me wonder about the future of the forum.

I would like to thank Glyn and Steve for their effort and hard work over the past two seasons, and wish them well wherever they decide to go. Hopefully Saturday's result will show that it's business as usual and that the players, management and committee will work together and build on the success achieved so far.

It always makes me laugh when people start suggesting us neutrals stay away from conjecture as to why people should get the sack!

Ok, in most cases we don´t know the real reason why it happens, but as to why we should not be allowed to at least discuss it seems harsh to say the least.

I´m also wondering ozzellfan which postings you´re suggesting are

If some individuals can go on this forum and make accusations and spread unfounded rumours about a situation they know little or nothing about, then it makes me wonder about the future of the forum.

? :D

When a situation such as this occurs, there is always going to be an element of thinking you know why the club has acted in the way it has. To the outsider, it does seem a strange thing to do when the club is in its current position, but there are reasons behind the decision. As a committee member, I was at the meeting on the Monday evening when the subject was raised, but I was not at training on the Tuesday when Glyn and Steve were sacked. The matter was discussed at Monday's meeting and in our minds the matter is settled and we will carry on as normal. Most local football fans like a bit of gossip, but when hearsay and rumour is quoted on the forum with "A committee member told me..." (though, not in this case) then people will strart to believe that this is fact.

Comments such as Dave the rave's peridiction that St Awful (sic) will be staring extinction in the face and appearing to take great pleasure in the fact are not helpful to the debate, and surely any football fan would not want to see another club fold, regardless of who they follow. This statement probably says more about dave the rave and his attitude.

There were also rumours that there was a short list of 6 managers for the job. Complete tosh.

Adlestrop- "Player power had everything to do with it!" If players are not happy, then there will be an atmosphere in the dressing room and players will start to leave. No players, no team.

Having had some time to reflect on my original posting, I probably sounded a bit pompous but I was just a bit fed up of reading comments about St Austell which I and the committee know weren't true. The back page of the Voice din't cast us in a favourable light, but that was to be expected. When the dust settles, time will tell whether the decision was the right one. Hopefully we can concentrate on the football. Tough games coming up, Millbrook, Truro and Newquay and Alphington in the Throgmorton Cup.

Up the Lillywhites!!! :yahoo::yahoo: :yahoo:

Adlestrop- "Player power had everything to do with it!" If players are not happy, then there will be an atmosphere in the dressing room and players will start to leave. No players, no team."

Are you seriously saying that the players DID NOT WANT Mr.Rowett sacked ?That being the case why did

the Committee want him out: certainly an absence of "laissez-faire" here.I also understand the

substitution of a certain young player did not meet with universal approval.