Cornwall Football Forum

REFEREE'S SITUATION FOR DIVISION 3 TEAMS

Ask any club with a team in either of the division 3's and they will all tell you the same thing, referees this year are like gold dust!!!

No club wants to play willingly without a ref and to be honest it never pays to play without a ref as this can cost you games (we, pendeen proved this right last year). With most teams though, the need to play regular football normally wins out and you play without ref's.

However after speaking to alan wallace last week before calling of our game with Camborne Park (NO REF), he basically said any team in either of the division 3's not willing to play football WITHOUT a ref WILL NOT be playing much football this season. This will mean games stacking up and having to play loads of evening games!!

This issue has been around for a couple of seasons however this year i think it will be worse.

I think this is potentially a SERIOUS problem for junior football and i think it needs looking at now, no disrespect to alan wallace as i think he does a good job as appointment officer.

Does anyone have any answers or suggestion for improving the situation? could the c.c.f.a do more than what there doing? my brother has been trying to do a ref's course for the last 6 months and has been told that there won't b anything this end of cornwall till next year i personally don't feel this is acceptable! they get enough money of us over the season!!

Just out of interest is it really nesersery for the SWL to be assigned 3 officials to every game? (at junior football's expense) could they not operate the same way as the combination leagu and have an official club linesman, just a suggestion!!!

just interested to hear some views on this topic!!

Of course its a serious problem for junior football, and it`s been on the horizon for a few years now. there is nothing Alan Wallace or even the CCFA can do about it, all the advertising etc in the world cannot hide the fact that new referee`s are not coming forward in enough numbers and other referee`s pack it in so the numbers dwindle. I myself have spoken to older players and suggested that when they finish playing they take up refereeing but 90% of the time the answer is " not likely all the crap they have to take I am not getting involved in that" or words to that effect. The FA respect program tells you that the FA know the problems but in my experience it has made no difference at all, players still argue about your decisions, make abusive comments and even managers who will not even shake your hand before the match let alone after it plus completely ignore you it is no wonder that referee`s are in short supply. The words "as you sow, so shall you reap " come to mind.

If your brother has been trying for 6 month's then he obviously hasn't tried hard enough. I know of 2 refs who have qualified in the last 6 months and I personally travelled from Hayle area to Bodmin to do part of my training.

On the other note it's only SWPL prem sides that have 3 officials, west and east provide their own qualified assistants, unless it's a mid-week game.

I think it's the Duchy league who have the right idea by only allowing new sides into their league, if the club puts forward someone to train as a referee.

I appreciate what your saying mr manning however i am inclined to say i have very little sympathy for the c.c.f.a, can you really put your hand on your heart and say that they do enough advertising? when do you ever see an advert in the cornishman or the west britain advrtising referees courses? i cant recall the exact figures however i do know thye had an awfull lot of money of us clubs last year and i find myself asking th question what for? they have saved themselves a lot of money by sending MOST mail electronically now! why arn't they plowing this money back into advertisement? most ref's are treated like shit, im not condoning it however we all know it goes on it's not an excuse it's a fact. i dont want to get into an argument about the pros and cons of the c.c.f.a and i would like to re-itterate that alan wallace does a good job with what he has, surely it's not to late though, there must be something we could do?

If your brother has been trying for 6 month's then he obviously hasn't tried hard enough. I know of 2 refs who have qualified in the last 6 months and I personally travelled from Hayle area to Bodmin to do part of my training.

On the other note it's only SWPL prem sides that have 3 officials, west and east provide their own qualified assistants, unless it's a mid-week game.

I think it's the Duchy league who have the right idea by only allowing new sides into their league, if the club puts forward someone to train as a referee.

why should someone from the lands end area have to travel up to bodmin to do refs course? where's the incentive?

and i agree with you the duchy league have hit the nail on the head, brilliant idea!!

The problem is it is easy to blame the CCFA, but i have seen numerous adverts at football grounds asking for anyone interested in refereeing to apply, back to the days when I started there were no adverts at all it was all word of mouth, the problem is retention of existing referee`s as well as new ones coming through. As to the comment "too many teams" I think not only Cornwall but the rest of the country it is the low number of referee`s actually officiating hence the FA`s Respect campaign to try and keep the ones who do referee and get more to take it up. As another posted rightly said in fact the CSWL was only Cornwall and now it`s combined with Devon it in theory has helped the amount of officials by assistants coming from both counties to the one league.

each club secretary has a county handbook.just ring ray brown the referees development officer and ask him for some help about courses or go on to the county website and check out the referees page. martin ault regularely advertises courses around west cornwall. if you need to know the information is out there failing theses options phone the county office and ask.

also you could drum up some support on here for people to set up a course yourself through your club :c:

Good subject. Its a very difficult position for Mr Wallace to be in with a lack of referees. I recommend anyone to do the course. The instructors are the best around and can have a laugh too. I always wondered what was stopping a player getting on his mates shoulder to win a header from a corner.

Please don't think it is just games in the lowest division, games were off last weekend in FHFL 2 due to lack of referees.

From my point of view perfect example - Whenever Carharrack don't have a game I always try and offer to referee a game in the local area. I know how desperate some teams can be to play and to be honest I would rather get out having some fresh air than sat at home doing nothing. Anyway, I enjoy refereeing, I love anything to do with football but I refereed a FHFL 3 game last season, now bearing in mind I did this team a favour, I didn't have to do it, if its in the local area I don't even ask for mileage I know some clubs struggle for funds. All I got all match was moaning and screaming and this was from a team that was 6 nil up. If I was 6 nil up I would be buying the referee pints after the match (please don't take that as me taking or giving bribes!) Why bother give up your time to take that kind of abuse?

I've also had abuse from club officials, to be fair I've dished it out in my time and can take it back but again last season against Mawnan one bloke give me such abuse it crossed the line. One thing I hate is being called a "fucking cheat". If I got that kind of abuse down town on a night out I would have probably sparked him out. In fact I heard some did send him home in a back of an ambulance the other week. I wonder why?

Ohh yeah, I have purposely judged the ball not to have crossed the line because I have a £10 accumulator down the bookies riding on the out come of a cornish grassroots football match. That reminds me I got to go and collect my winnings.

I digress, I think a good idea would be for both the FHFL and Mining league to have a weeks break on the 1st round of the senior cup. But this doesn't solve the problem. I'm interested in how the Sunday league the rewards clubs for good behaviour, has it improved behaviour on the pitch.

How about prioritising referee appointments, the clubs with the best disciplinary record in the division gets a referee, the ones with the worst don't, teams would soon learn?

Hi Richard that last comment of yours has been tried, the only problem is that all clubs and teams should treat the referee correctly by not giving those teams who are a problem referee`s then they will always stay a problem, what needs to be done is that referee`s should be treated properly by all teams and then just maybe we will increase the amount of officials available.

last season against Mawnan one bloke give me such abuse it crossed the line. One thing I hate is being called a "******* cheat". If I got that kind of abuse down town on a night out I would have probably sparked him out. In fact I heard some did send him home in a back of an ambulance the other week. I wonder why?

lesson learnt........

DONT MESS WITH THE ALBION MASSIVE!!!!! B)

I'm interested in how the Sunday league the rewards clubs for good behaviour, has it improved behaviour on the pitch.

How about prioritising referee appointments, the clubs with the best disciplinary record in the division gets a referee, the ones with the worst don't, teams would soon learn?

In my opinion, The Sunday League's Referees Initiative is an excellent scheme in regulating the behaviour of all sides, promoting respect towards the officials, and can only help improve our Saturday Leagues at whatever level!

Maybe combining that iniative with a Fair play table, rewarding teams for their good behaviour and attitude towards officials would help bring referees into the game :unsure:

Also, arnt some of the assistants recruited by SWPL West and East Clubs, former, and perhaps, disgruntled referee's?!

Great topic Crystal Hood, well done for speaking up :clapper:

The West's Sunday League has a full on referees' initiative that seems to work. In week one, with seriously demanding marking criteria, no club was marked less than 8. Up to now, we've had one 6 and that club is in trouble and WILL sort it out.

If the clubs average the target of 7.75 for the season they get a free season in the Sunday League next year, saving £55. The clubs set the target and seem really keen to improve and meet it.

If a club gets marked below 8 (I.e 7 or below) they get a call from a league official to help them sort it out.

I've had comments that Saturday Falmouth- Helston Vs Sunday league, it's like a completely different sport. (And don't say that the standard of football is worse, it simply isn't.)

Something has to be done. The Respect campaign has nothing in it for adult leagues. This scheme has.

The F.A. is featuring in one of their Guidance for Leagues handbook and I'll happily "sell" it to any league interested.

Talk to Sunday League referees this season and ask them if they'd rather be there or Mining or F & H. We will keep our referees and rarely, if ever are short of one.

Disilusioned as a ref? Try the Sunday League and find out how enjoyable it can be.

I wrekon they should get rid of under 18 teams, it is more benefitial for the youngsters to step up to mens football at the age of 16. At the same time it would free up some reffs.

I wrekon they should get rid of under 18 teams, it is more benefitial for the youngsters to step up to mens football at the age of 16. At the same time it would free up some reffs.

:c:

Or alternitavelly you could keep under 18 teams and train more refs

How about the cfa runs a ref trainning school so that each team has one of there guys attend so that every team has an appointed ref. I know that then leaves the problem of having refs being bias towards there own team, but from past experience the guys who stand in as ref for a day are usually quite fair. The way around that problem I see, as both teams would have a qualified ref they could do a half each. I know it isn't an ideal situation but at least games wouldn't be called off week in week out as "no ref" as you see on here all the time. What do you think?

Prehaps then we will be able to get rid of these mid week games at the start and end of each season. Teams are having to play with bare bones because of work commitments and stuff, my team has only been running for 2 seasons and we always have weeks to spare with all games completed so have never understood why we need to be doing it. Seriously, finish work then try and travel upto 25miles sometimes in rush hour it's a crazy idea.

Guest pete norfolk

would it be an idea, like in netball, that every club (including reserves, 3rds, etc) have to be able to supply a referee for the league and if the league can not arrange the ref, then, if available, that person would have to ref that game under league rules. this can result in less games being off and happiness in every team.

if however, there are any issues with one of these referee's performance, that team must be able to contact someone in secret so that ref can be assessed in secret so that they can be assessed on fairness.