Cornwall Football Forum

Westy's Double Leg break

After speaking to Westy this morning he thanks everyone for there kind messages. He is transferring down to Truro today for another opinion on the injury and decide what course of action they are going to take in regards to getting him back and doing what he does best or second best behind talking and thats scoring goals.

Interesting the Linesman said the keeper got the ball!!!

James can you wish westy all the best fom me and hopefully he will make a full recovery.Looking at the photo i think the keeper was closer to the other set of balls!! Thats what happens when you get some officials who don't know what they are doing,all the best to you and westy fraggs :angry2:

Chin up Westy! Can imagine those poor nurses, he will be jibbering away to them non-stop, and then Big West will pop in to visit.........JESUS!!

No doubt Westy will be positive as ever and be back again asap.

Lets hope the keeper sees the pic and is absolutly and completely ashamed of himself and shows enough balls to get hold of Westy to apologise!!

Shocking tackle by the looks of the photo - too often of late I have seen keepers coming out to win the ball with their legs, and usually it isn't pretty. I hope the keeper has a look at this too.

And as said before, its about time tackles like this get appropriate punishment.

Wishing you a very speedy recovery Westy, keep your chin up, all the best, Deano

Guest Toby  Clark

Actually sat next to Westy in hospital right now - he's got a cast on his left leg from toe to hip. He says he's thankful for everybody's kind messages of support.

Can't understand how the keeper deserves his cruelly ironic 'star man' in the Indy when he so blantantly should have been sent off. Sensitivity??

Challenges such as the one shown in the picture above are not welcome in any sport at any level and display a real lack of class.

I wish Westy all the very best in his recovery and hope he'll back doing what he loves before we all know it. :SM_carton:

I'm nothing to do with either of the clubs involved and wasn't at the game but you can't judge the tackle by this picture alone. I admit it looks horrendous and it probably was, but without knowing the full situation I can't really comment.

What do you mean 'knowing the full situation'?

The situation is that it is a terrible tackle that should be punished. Secondly the referee and linesman should be made to look at the image and explain why they didn't punish the foul correctly at the time. Otherwise it is likely to happen again when they are officiating.

Well had the keeper won the ball first for starters. It looks like he has gone straight over the top but he may not have. The ball is wide of Westy which doesn't look like he's got control of it which could mean the keeper did in fact win it. All i'm saying, St Justice, is that this picture does't necessarily tell the whole tale. I agree wholeheartedly that it looks horrendous and regardless of 'the bigger picture', i am scratching my head as to why the keeper only got a yellow.

Well with me being close friends with Westy Im probably a bit bias. I also have heard from several people that its an out of character tackle from the Goalkeeper and it was his first game for a while. These points dont take away the fact that it was a sickening challenge that has created a career threatening injury. It seems too easy for officials to say they didnt see it. Do they not watch the same game. The linesman was about 5 metres away and had a grandstand view. I know the official was young but if hes old enough to officiate at the standard we play at then quite frankly hes old enough to not 'bottle' making a tough decision and do his job of making sure tackles like this get the correct punishment. For the linesman to say the keeper got the ball just about sums up what training needs to be put in place for these guys to make sure they do see things and are confident to make the difficult decisions.

Unfortunately its easier to book people for dissent and sent them off when they question a referees decision than actually do the bread and butter of their job and make sure the players are adequately protected on the field of play.

Rant over and here's hoping Westy makes a fast and full recovery.

Well with me being close friends with Westy Im probably a bit bias. I also have heard from several people that its an out of character tackle from the Goalkeeper and it was his first game for a while. These points dont take away the fact that it was a sickening challenge that has created a career threatening injury. It seems too easy for officials to say they didnt see it. Do they not watch the same game. The linesman was about 5 metres away and had a grandstand view. I know the official was young but if hes old enough to officiate at the standard we play at then quite frankly hes old enough to not 'bottle' making a tough decision and do his job of making sure tackles like this get the correct punishment. For the linesman to say the keeper got the ball just about sums up what training needs to be put in place for these guys to make sure they do see things and are confident to make the difficult decisions.

Unfortunately its easier to book people for dissent and sent them off when they question a referees decision than actually do the bread and butter of their job and make sure the players are adequately protected on the field of play.

Rant over and here's hoping Westy makes a fast and full recovery.

:clapper:

this is the biggest problem with ref's across the board! more than happy to book a player for a curse word and let this kind of offence remain unpunished!!!!!!

PROTECT OUR PLAYERS..........

all the best Westy boy, you're a smashin lad and not a bad striker either, you'll be back amongst the goals soon enough, where you belong !!!!!! my heart goes out to you wee man

I'm nothing to do with either of the clubs involved and wasn't at the game but you can't judge the tackle by this picture alone. I admit it looks horrendous and it probably was, but without knowing the full situation I can't really comment.

Likewise neither am I, or was I, but in my opinion a very sensible reply regarding the picture. A picture paints a thousand words, yet it leaves several thousand others unpainted. It does paint a very gruesome picture showing that the keeper should have been red carded, but it does not show the view that the referee, or the assistant, had which they based their decisions on.

Sorry to hear the news of Westy. A good player, & a terrific young lad. Lets hope for a speedy recovery.

The pic clearly shows the incident is to the side of the pen box, clearly shows the dugouts, therefore anyone can determine the lino should be within approx 10 meters(at most). You would also hope that with fitness of the refs at this level he too should be within a decent distance to at least see the keeper go over the ball. Whether the keeper is "not that kind of player" has no bearing on the fact he CLEARLY made a shocking tackle and clearly the ref and his assistants have bottled a big decision. Correct me if Im wrong, is a refs main priority not the safety of all players and spectators above anything else?

While appreciating everyone's comments on this incident, the discisions and actions of the Match Officials following the incident could not have prevented Westy's injury in the first place - although it might have affected the final score in the match. It was indeed a reckless challange but - with both players travelling at full speed and the ball almost stationary - any contact between them was likely to have disasterous consequencies. This thread should really be concentrating on Westy's recovery and welfare, rather than aportioning blame or lambasting referees.

Sorry Mr Mead but that seems a bit politically correct. Obviously the ref or his assistant could not have prevented the incident or stopped Westys leg being broken, however they could have taken the appropriate action after the incident, i.e sending off the keeper and him getting a ban!

The fact the ball is "almost stationary" surely makes the tackle even worse!? If it was moving with pace you could , maybe, understand a mis-timed tackle but as you say its not moving the ball is a pretty easy target for the keeper to hit!

Therefore I make no apology for lambasting the keeper for the tackle or the ref and his assistant for their obvious poor handling of the situation.

I hope you are successful in appealing Mr Mewtons red card!!

Guest Freddy_f

I have to pick up with a previous comment !!!

Refs are quick to book a player for a nudge or having a personality or even breathing these days , but its this type of tackle that they need to show some balls and punish the offenders !!! Its an absolute disgrace that this keeper has only been booked , he should be banned for 3 games now and hes not ,

Referees havent got a clue , there smug and cocky , i have no time for them at all , and incidents like how this has been handled does not go anyway to improving the image !!

but no doubt the same ref will go out on the pitch this weekend and send someone off for 2 bookable offences for something like apealing and a gentle nudge !!!

james,remember that game down penryn ,when you were kicked from pillar to post,and after about 70 mins and one last bad tackle on you,you said some thing on the lines ,for f,,,,k sake ref and was sent off know questions asked,beggars believe, sometimes,last night there was a tackle in the f.a.cup game with truro that could have broke any watkins leg,and what did the ref give him.yes a yellow card ,disgraceful,a cowardly tackle from behind with no intention of getting the ball,but if any had said any thing he would have got the same card,what a joke :SM_carton: :c:

Aiden I remember that one, I had a nice 35 day ban and a fine of a similar amount. Fortunately I have now slowed up enough to not warrant the battering I used to get. You do learn that you cant change the decisions no matter what level on justice you think has happened. I find it better for the stress levels and the hairline if you just laugh at it!

As for Westy he is thankfully now at the Duchy Hospital getting a great level of care and when I seen him at lunch time he was in good spirits and hoping to get the operation out of the way asap and get on the road to recovery! :thumbsup:

Aiden I remember that one, I had a nice 35 day ban and a fine of a similar amount. Fortunately I have now slowed up enough to not warrant the battering I used to get. You do learn that you cant change the decisions no matter what level on justice you think has happened. I find it better for the stress levels and the hairline if you just laugh at it!

As for Westy he is thankfully now at the Duchy Hospital getting a great level of care and when I seen him at lunch time he was in good spirits and hoping to get the operation out of the way asap and get on the road to recovery! :thumbsup:

will you send him my regards please james,ta :drink:

I'd just like to mention something. The Truro Reserves keeper got sent off tonight against Perranporth for a very light bodycheck challenge on Perran's number 11 which i thought was very harsh that he saw red, it was outside of the box and there were two City defenders covering him, in my opinion it should of only been a yellow. This says something about the referee's when you see a picture of a disgusting challenge such as this one only getting a yellow and a light challenge like i saw tonight the keeper saw red. :wacko::wacko: :wacko:

Says it all really.Keeper 3 yards outside his box,straight legged,over the top of the ball and breaks one of the best finishers in the leagues leg.Knowing Westy he will probably be back before the end of the season banging in a few more goals,but thats beside the point,it could have ended a great young players career.YELLOW CARD. Trev obviously fuming with the challenge and seeing his main goalscorer in pain and probably out for the next 6 months after an horrendous challenge vents his anger towards the officials. RED CARD! All makes perfect sense.snake is spot on but thats the way its always been.(Tommy,remember sammy up st.austell!!!) You can get the shit kicked out of you for 90 minutes but dont retaliate!!! As John rightly says though,we,re not on here for that. Westy keep you're head up mate and just picture in your mind those next few goals you will be getting when you're back! The time goes quicker than you think mate.pass my best on to Westy please James.You,ll have to bang a few more in until he,s back playing mate!!! :thumbsup:

Guest plainmoor

I don't know the fella personally but I wish him a full and speedy recovery.

Bring back Stig, he would have sorted it, Devon and Cornwall is worse off without the likes of him.

Says it all really.Keeper 3 yards outside his box,straight legged,over the top of the ball and breaks one of the best finishers in the leagues leg.Knowing Westy he will probably be back before the end of the season banging in a few more goals,but thats beside the point,it could have ended a great young players career.YELLOW CARD. Trev obviously fuming with the challenge and seeing his main goalscorer in pain and probably out for the next 6 months after an horrendous challenge vents his anger towards the officials. RED CARD! All makes perfect sense.snake is spot on but thats the way its always been.(Tommy,remember sammy up st.austell!!!) You can get the shit kicked out of you for 90 minutes but dont retaliate!!! As John rightly says though,we,re not on here for that. Westy keep you're head up mate and just picture in your mind those next few goals you will be getting when you're back! The time goes quicker than you think mate.pass my best on to Westy please James.You,ll have to bang a few more in until he,s back playing mate!!! :thumbsup:

Remember Sammy at St.Austell. That St.Austell player certainly didnt see that coming !