Cornwall Football Forum

Today's Charity results - Sunday August 2nd 2009

And in the Charity Bowl - Bodmin Town 0, Plymouth Parkway 2 (Bodmin poor upfront)

Give some credit Dave to the Parkway defence, especially the performance by the keeper and the central defender. Its not just a case of Bodmin poor up front, Parkway defended extremely well, as well as two quality goals.

Give some credit Dave to the Parkway defence

I can only put on here what I am told! Unfortunately I was not able to make the games today and so relying on comments fed to me.

Perhaps you can help the cause by naming the 'keeper and the central defender who did such a good job and give them the credit they deserve.

Parkway `keeper was a young lad called Ben Elphick who Parkway signed from Plymstock United and the defence consisted of Craig Holman (son of former Torpoint defender Mike), Matt Hawke, Josh Fenwick and Marc Bonney and all four were well organised and determined. In fairness to Parkway they were committed and got men back behind the ball and to their dredit, scored two decent goals (Gavin Cockman & Josh Fenwick) but it is true to say that Bodmin created enough chances to win two games and their finishing was not up to their usual standard but we must give credit to the Parkway defending and indeed, goalkeeping. Parkway deserved this victory and Dave Leonard will be very happy with the performance and whilst Gilby will be disappointed to lose, they did the same last season and look how the season ended up. Don't write Bodmin off of this one result.

Plymouth Parkway : 1 - Ben Elphick. 2 - Craig Holman. 3 - Marc Bonney. 4 - Josh Fenwick. 5 - Matt Hawke. 6 - Neal Kinsman. 7 - Gavin Cockman. 8 - Karl Curtis. 9 - Paul Baker. 10 - Andy Sargent. 11 - Matt Cusack. Sorry but I'm unsure of the subs except Simon Parnell did come on. Parkway Man of the Match - Matt Cusack.

Bodmin Town : 1 - Kevin Miller. 2 - Huw Morgan. 3 - Dan Tapper. 4 - Tom Chambers. 5 - Steve Simmonds. 6 - Steve Colwill. 7 - Ben Smallridge. 8 - Colin Marshall. 9 - Mark Berry. 10 - Luke Hodge. 11 - Craig Swiggs. Subs, again not 100% on this but Lewis Reed and John Morris came on in the second half. Bodmin Man of the Match (despite one bout of fistcuffs near the end of this game) Colin Marshall.

Guest SLIC VIC

Well said Ken, perhaps in future you could relay your observation to Dave Deacon as it seems he is being miss informed of how thease games are played. :D:D . i like honest people ;)

Guest SLIC VIC

Well there you go Dave just shows you still learn things about jounalism, never quote one liners as they may not describe the true account of what actually took place. ;)

That must be it Slim Vic as I've never had the chance to "learn" journalism.

The only thing I would add to this debate is that having read the match report from the thisiscornwall side - they obviously listened to the same source! :D

"Darren Gilbert's side are not used to losing finals and they will feel they did enough, in the second half, to have won this game at Launceston on Sunday, but they fell short in the most vital of areas - in front of goal!"

"The second half belonged, almost exclusively, to Bodmin who sent in wave after wave of attacks on the Parkway goal but they found Dave Leonard's defence in a miserly mood with 'keeper Elphick in magnificent form."

"Bodmin surged forward but Elphick saved well from Marshall, Steve Colwell, Smallridge and Berry (twice) as the usually potent Bodmin attack was found wanting on the day."

Just to put this to bed, I supplied Dave with the results of both games as I knew he couldn't be at the games and on both texts I added a one line comment. The `one liner` regarding the Penzance v Exeter Civil Service game was that Penzance played the last 35 minutes with 10 men after Johhnny Ludlam got two yellows and the `one liner` for the Bodmin v Parkway game was "Bodmin were poor up front". Was it because Bodmin were poor or that Parkway were good in defence? In truth, a bit of both but with the number of clear chances Bodmin created, they must be disappointed. Parkway stuck to the task and were very organised and I'm sure Lens and Gams would be pleased with that and despite a couple of people texting me and asking if I was sure about my Man of the Match, I answered Yes, I thought Matty Cusack played ever so well both going forward and when defending. Others may think differently and that of course, is their opinion. Finally - Good Luck to everyone for the coming season :thumbsup:

Quote"Bodmin were poor up front I saw Mark Berry previous golden boot winner Luke Hodge Karl Turner and new signing Ben Smallridge sounds good to me add to a large contingent of Cornwall County players plus a few ex professionals.Could not overcome a Plymouyh Parkway side in transition only five of last seasons runner up squad were playing a complete new defence most of whom had not played at this level before shows what a magnificent result this was for Dave Leonard and his staff.Just clarify results between the two sides in the last two seasons Bodmin won 0 drew 2 Lost 3 so perhaps it was not so much of a surprise after all :drink:

Guiness - I can't argue with the facts you quoted about Bodmin's resuts against Parkway over the past two years because I simply don't know (guess I'll have to check on Tony Kempster). I can though comment about the statement, "a complete new defence, most of whom had not played at this level before". Whilst I agree that the defence have not played together until this season it must also be said that Craig Holman played South Western League football before he went to University in Cheltenham, Sparky Bonney started last season with St Blazey, Josh Fenwick played for Elburton last season and Saltash before that and Matt Hawke has been around for a good while, most notably Liskeard (no offence about age intended if you read this Matt), so they all have some experience at `this level`. Let's be fair about this, Bodmin didn't have their shooting boots on, especially in the second half and Parkway defended very well indeed whilst showing commitment as well as good organisation. It also looks as if Lens has signed a young goalkeeper who on this display may well prove to be worth a few points this season. As I said in my previous post, Good Luck to all teams and lets hope for a great season of quality football. :thumbsup:

So from your original quote

Well my original quote stated Bodmin were poor upfront, and so that's what I have to stick with. Why change it?

However, by my "one liner" we have provoked some debate about the football that was on display. Exactly what this whole Forum is generally all about, but unfortunately something that from time to time we forget.

After this coming Friday evening I will be able to comment personally on the Parkway defence as I will be there in person, well Dave Deacon will be, not sure about Dave Dickcon :D !

I'm already learning the names : Ben Elphick, Craig Holman, Marc Bonney, Josh Fenwick and Matt Hawke. And shall watching them.

:lol:

Well dave nice debate like you said that is what this forum is supposed to be about sensible and constructive not like some of the garbage that appears on here lately. Just for the statties despite Bodmins dominance of both league and cup in the Southwestern Peninsula League they have never dominated Parkway in matches played between the teams including Sundays result . Record reads Plymouth Parkway played 5 won 3 drew 2 lost 0 goals for 9 goals against 3 enjoy Fridays encounter oh and another name for you to watch out for is Gavin Cockman :drink:

Guest Old Timer

After watching the Bodmin v Parkway game myself, i feel that parkway were dominant in defence and disturbed the Bodmin fowards by being strong and together. However, when Bodmin did break through, they still couldn't beat the one last line of defence, the goalkeeper, who i thought had a tremendous game and was my M.O.T.M.

I think that Leonard and Gammon have probably worked very hard with these players to try and get them organised and determined not to concede. And if im right in saying, i think that Ben Elphick (gk), Josh Fenwick (cd), Marc Bonney (lb), and Craig Holman (rb), 4/5 of the defence, all went through the ranks at Plymouth Argyle, so they should have a decent understanding of the game and how to defend with a professional attitude, and still, at tender ages of 18 and 19, can still learn alot from the two Managers. Along with Neil Kinsman (cm), Matt and Aaron Cuszak (m), Paul Baker (f) who have also played at Argyle, Dave seems to have set his side with players who have been bought up with a professional attitude and with a decent understanding of the game at a very reasonable standard.

Anyway, back to the game, it could of been a poor display with Bodmin with bit of luck from parkway or just a Professional display from Parkway. But i don't think parkway should be written off the league just because the side is new and young.