Cornwall Football Forum

Bideford V St Blazey

This Saturday, the most talked about side in Cornwall travel to North Devon where they will enjoy the Western League standard facilities of Bideford. I made my first trip there and thought it was an excellent club.

I'll hopefully be catching a game in Sussex on Saturday, but I'm sure Paul will keep me updated :)

Guest Postie Pidge

Seems like the most talked about Cornish club will be heading down west to play Penzance in the Dave Gardner Tournament

Bideford 2-0 St Blazey

Attendance 121 (headcount) 20 from St Blazey

I battled the tourist traffic all the way from Farnham, Surrey, to arrive at Bideford just in time to hear the whistle go for half time.

Blazey boys did well in the second half, frequently creating chances. This was a good run out against a side probably capable of winning our league.

Admission too steep at £5 and £3 littluns.

Very good Hansome Dan!!! And I supose youve been busy at work!!! :thumbsup:

Good match for St Blazey on what looks a huge pitch. Bideford is a quality ground with a long covered terrace and the old fashioned floodlights. But a crowd of 120 looked lost. The ground would need 500 plus to make a decent atmosphere.

Bideford passed and kept the ball better and took 2 chances. St Blazey only had one real effort on goal in the first half which should have been taken. Second half St Blazey played much better and made several half chances. Bideford scored with almost the final kick to make it 2-0.

£3 for the kids was steep but there you go!!

We also had the pleasure of meeting an ex Falmouth player who won the old western league in the 70s. Hes keeps up with the local scene by reading comments on this website. Hes called Len E#####!! Can Mike or Pidgeon figure out who he is?? Nice to meet you Len.

Wendron v St Blazey on wednesday.

That would be Len Ellery who joined Falmouth Town from Truro City in 1973? and was part of the greatest ever Town team.

I always look forward to seeing Len for a half time cup of tea when playing any of the North Devon teams.

The last time we met up was at Holsworthy May08

Maybe next time at Ilfracombe in the F A cup on August 15th.

Yes i no Dan!!! It was one for Mike to work out!!! :rolleyes:

Anyway, as you already no Mike, im sure you have a few memories of that era. Just read a piece where you wrote about Penzance playing Falmouth in front of 1800 fans, not including Cornisht Teddyboy who was chucked out for being drunk and have a scrap with a few from Falmouth!!! How times have changed. Len said we might meet again at St Blazey this season if he comes down. Never nom maybe for the visit of Falmouth.