Cornwall Football Forum

Anyone from Helston or St Breward Remember This

During the bad winter of 1962-63 when the country was snow bound for several weeks during January and February 1963, Helston travelled up to St Breward for a Combination League match.

For this match though, it was raining and blowing a howler of a gale.

The teams played the first half but only eight Helston players appeared for the start of the second period. Remember no substitutes in those days.

The game kicked off and after an hours play league leaders, St Breward were leading 4-0.

With 20 minutes left Helston decided enough was enough and walked off the pitch so the referee had no option but to call a halt.

5 minutes after Helston walked off a strong gust of wind actually had the strength to break one of the goal cross-bars in half.

At a future League committee meeting Helston were fined £1 1s (£1.05 in new money), and the result was allowed to stand.

The same day a game at St Just against RAF St Mawgan was also called off after a few minutes with the score 0-0. This was later replayed with St Just winning 5-2.

That winter it was stated RAF St Mawagan had 2ft of snow on their pitch for 6 weeks.

The same season 1962-63 Penzance had their first floodlights installed paid for by their Supporters Club, who also donated a new mini-bus to the club the following season.

No not bored obsessed. I am trying to find out the dates when every Combo match was played so as to double check what I already have on the Combo Archive Website.

Did you also know that in 1962-63 RNAS Culdrose must have travelled the furthest distance ever by any team within the UK for a single match.

They travelled to RNAS Lossimouth (between Inverness and Aberdeen) in Scotland, a round mid-week trip of 1700 miles to play in the final of the Navy Cup. They played at Elgin City's ground and won 2-1.

Keep it coming Paul (CTB)-lets have more nostalga

That trip beats the The General Post Office Cup Final when Falmouth Post Office travelled to Leith in Scotland

and of course the longest journey in F A competition history when Falmouth Town journeyed to Bedlington in Northumberland.

The Hart cup was one of the Mining Division League trophies.

Spartak were from Roskear area of Camborne and played at the Pool Sports club ground(The King George V or was it V1 playing field).

The colours were the traditional Arsenal of Red with white sleeves.

They were only a one season wonder and their chief goal getter was Terry Bennetts who I still see around Camborne and the keeper was Alan Pascoe who I recall had a South African accent.

Other names Alan Rolling Dave Anstead,Brian Keileher.Alan Merton.Trevor Johns-I am still thinking.

Alan Saundry was administrator.