Cornwall Football Forum

CCFA disappointed with response towards "Behaviour Working Party" meeting suggestion!

Dave Deacon

Respect – Pre-Season Meetings

Following discussions between The Carlsberg South Peninsula League, Devon FA and Cornwall FA we have regrettably taken the decision to cancel the meeting organised on the 4th August at Eggbuckland aimed at managers, players and referees to discuss how behaviour can be improved and to set out expectations for the coming season.

This meeting was organised following recommendations made by a working party in Cornwall who are committed to improving behaviour and the match day experience for all involved. Lots of clubs and match officials have stated their desire to be involved in this process so it is extremely disappointing that the response has been so poor, although we would like to thank the handful of clubs who advised they would be attending.

We understand it is a busy time for clubs in pre-season and that the travelling to Plymouth may not have been ideal but this issue is extremely serious and enough people have raised concerns regarding behaviour that this meeting is viewed as vital. The league and County FA’s are showing their commitment to this project and we expect the clubs and referees to follow suit.

To show our continued commitment to improving behaviour this meeting will be re-scheduled and separated into two meetings, one in Devon (Newton Abbot) and one in Cornwall (Bodmin), dates will be advised shortly. Whilst it would have been beneficial to hold this meeting with all Peninsula League Member Clubs together to ensure continuity we hope by splitting the meeting we will get a higher attendance. The dates of these meeting will be advised shortly.

These meetings have not been organised for the benefit of the league or the respective County FA’s but for the benefit of the clubs and referees in response to requests from the clubs and referees. Many clubs, players, managers and officials often say they want an opportunity to air their views and opinions to the Governing bodies and competitions, and this is a great opportunity for them do this, hopefully it will be taken, however all we can do is offer the opportunity, it is up to people to accept it.

Richard Pallot

Governance Manager

Cornwall Football Association Limited        

4 minutes ago, Keith B said:

Having two meetings, one in each County is a good idea. I do hope these are well attended. Thank you to CSPL, Devon FA and Cornwall FA for their commitment to this serious matter. It's encouraging to know that they are committed to dealing with the problem, and therefore it is sad that the response has, thus far, been poor from the clubs and officials. 

Let's hope that these two meetings are well supported and that this whole issue is thrashed out, and decisions made as to the way forward in the interests of all soccer lovers in the South West. We need to encourage families back into our football grounds again and a commitment made at this level, along with dedicated officials to see it through at the sharp end, supported by those governing bodies, will hopefully bring about a satisfactory result. Yes it will be difficult at first, therefore we must all support our officials.

2 meetings is good as it will increase attendance but officials and clubs play and officiate in both counties so it would have been good to get a consistent approach and discussion with all clubs and officials in one place.

1 hour ago, Postman Pat said:

No offence is meant but! Each club has a small band  of dedicated volunteers if they are lucky. In some cases it's one person, this is the busiest time of the year what with getting players preparing pitches and God forbid holidays. 

It was aimed at managers, players and referees

1 hour ago, Postman Pat said:

No offence is meant but! Each club has a small band  of dedicated volunteers if they are lucky. In some cases it's one person, this is the busiest time of the year what with getting players preparing pitches and God forbid holidays. 

That's fair enough, it would have been more beneficial to have the joint meeting. I'm sure though that the meeting of Cornish SWPL clubs will still be a good opportunity for two way dialogues between clubs and officials to begin.

What is the point in this meeting? All referees have to do is stick to the letter of the law and start sending players for foul & abusive language, threatening behaviour etc,  with the amount of people I see on here saying this behaviour is disgusting then there would be support for the referees racking up a serious amount of sendings off, I'd wager within a season there would be a 90% drop in abuse towards referees. Along with the problem of idiotic players it's the consistency of refereeing, consistency is the key and it's poor in all tiers of football. How often have you had a referee have a word with each team in their changing room before the game laying down the law when it comes to respect? If a referee comes in and says 'any swearing at me or intimidation is an immediate sending off' and consistently sticks to that then there can be no complaint. Simple. 

7 minutes ago, OldFan said:

What is the point in this meeting? All referees have to do is stick to the letter of the law and start sending players for foul & abusive language, threatening behaviour etc,  with the amount of people I see on here saying this behaviour is disgusting then there would be support for the referees racking up a serious amount of sendings off, I'd wager within a season there would be a 90% drop in abuse towards referees. Along with the problem of idiotic players it's the consistency of refereeing, consistency is the key and it's poor in all tiers of football. How often have you had a referee have a word with each team in their changing room before the game laying down the law when it comes to respect? If a referee comes in and says 'any swearing at me or intimidation is an immediate sending off' and consistently sticks to that then there can be no complaint. Simple. 

It was an initiative to attempt to get all parties working together!

I understand that but why, if one club says they're going to do it does that mean another will? Don't we see throughout the media the call for the eradication of abuse? Aren't premier league clubs all signed up to the respect campaign? Yet I don't see any clubs there following anyone example but their own. Like I said, complete consistency from referees would all but eradicate it, also harsher punishments e.g higher fines and also clubs can do their bit, I do know clubs that add a fine ontop of the fine for bookings for dissent. 

They should press ahead and issue stricter guidelines regardless of anyone attending a meeting. By all means have the meetings, but unless the measures I have outlined are consistently imposed then these meetings will be nothing more than evidence to say 'well we tried'.

Imagine it in this sense... Referees adhere to the policy laid down through the FA. The CFA try to make this policy clear to the clubs. Clubs don't attend.

Referee comes out on a Saturday afternoon and sends 3-4 players off. Uproar. "Referee's had a stinker, never a red card ref, refs just had the worst game ever". Complaints fly in left right and Charlie...

But... He's only doing what he's been told to do. He's only following the guidelines. In fact, it's these players that have had a stinker. It's the clubs management that have had a stinker. Not the referee. But I bet you the players, bench and crowd would make that game the toughest the referee may have ever had!!!

This initiative is all about getting the FA, the officials and the clubs all singing off the same hymn sheet. To improve behaviour and to decrease the chance of surprise (when this scenario happens, because it will happen if referees follow the guidelines to the letter). One evening for one member of a club to attend which could save them a lot of cash and have their players available every game with no suspensions.

Its embarrassing that there has been a poor response, the FA along with the working group are trying to improve things. Clubs are first to moan when things are getting bad but clearly can't be bothered to participate when something is actually attempted to make things better!

You'll also create a situation where the referees match marks go into free fall and any hope of them getting promotion will be lost in the first few matches. It's not a lot to ask when there are so many new initiatives and rule changes going on. Nobody want to see a referee send off three or four players in a game, not least the referee, and the paying supporters will feel they've wasted money on a farcical game. 

As usual though, our local referees will do their best to follow the letter of the law as instructed and we'll see whether the Premier League referees have the bottle to do so. If they don't our guys will look like mugs and feel let down…again.

If it takes a season of poor marks, upset crowds and clubs, numerous sendings off to drive the 0 tolerance home then so be it, something radical needs to be done else no one takes any notice. A mothers meeting isn't going to do anything, it's what the ref does on a Saturday that will change the game, aren't players, coaches and clubs already singing off the same hymn sheet? If you had every swpl manager in front of you regardless of an initial meeting and asked them 'if one of your players acts in a threatening manager to the official or swears at the official should he be sent?' - 100% of answers should be yes, people involved with football know this!! Less talk, more action or it's the same old same old. Players need to be shocked into action, slapped around the face with it or otherwise things will continue as they are.

Anyone who knows me will know that refs have no problem with me. I understand Keith it's only one night but the point I was trying to make was too the converted few it's" one more night". Tryng to get volunteers to get anything done is getting harder and harder and they expect more and more for nothing.I seriously considered attending the forum but I just could not justify another night away from my family.it may be the close season but for some of us its the busiest time of the year

13 hours ago, Keith B said:

We are only talking about one evening Pat - not a big commitment is it ? One representative from each club, perhaps the Secretary, plus the Captain of a club.  

People do actually have to work and to be expected to travel to Devon for an inconclusive meeting is farcical. The Bodmin venue is a little better if the time is right.