Law Changes 16/17 - Law 3 - The Players

Law 3 - The Players. Formerly known as "The number of players"

Summary Of Changes

Law 03 – The Players (new title)

• A match may not start/continue if a team has fewer than 7 players
• Substitutes may take a restart but must first step onto the field
• Clarifies situation when a player is sent off before/after kick-off
• Direct FK (or penalty) if a substitute/team official interferes with play
• If something/someone (other than a player) touches a ball as it goes into the goal the referee can award the goal if the touch had no impact on the defenders
• If a goal is scored with an extra person on the field and referee has restarted play the goal stands and match continues

03.2 Minimum number of players

Old text 
A match may not start if either team consists of fewer than seven players. (…) although a match may not START if either team consists of fewer than seven players, the minimum number of players in a team required for a match to CONTINUE is left to the discretion of member associations. However, it is the opinion of the International F.A. Board that a match should not continue if there are fewer than seven players in either team.

New text
A match may not start or continue if either team has fewer than seven players.

Explanation
The IFAB recommendation of the minimum number of players for a match to continue becomes Law. This is consistent with the minimum to start the match

03.3 Restarts by substitutes

Old text
A substitute who has not completed the substitution procedure by entering the field of play cannot restart play by taking a throw-in or corner kick.

New text
Substitutes can take any restart provided they first enter the field of play.

Explanation
Clarifies that a substitute who steps onto the field of play can then take any restart, including a corner kick or throw-in; some wrongly interpreted the ‘old’ wording as requiring play to be restarted before a substitute can take a restart.

03.4 Named substitute starts instead of named player

Old text
If a named substitute enters the field of play instead of a named player at the start of the match and the referee is not informed of this change:
• the referee allows the named substitute to continue the match(…)

New text
If a named substitute starts the match instead of a named player and the referee is not informed of this change:
• the referee allows the named substitute to continue the match(…)

Explanation
Clarifies that if a named player is ‘replaced’ by a substitute before the match, the player can be a substitute on arrival. More logical that this takes effect when the match kicks off rather than when the substitute enters the field.

03.5 Extra persons on the field of play – status of sent off player

Old text
Anyone not indicated on the team list as a player, substitute or team official is deemed to be an outside agent, as is a player who has been sent off.

New text
Anyone not named on the team list as a player, substitute or team official is deemed to be an outside agent.

Explanation
It is more logical to treat a sent off player like a substitute so that a player who returns to the field (having been sent off) is penalised with a free kick.

03.6 Infringements by substitutes and team officials

Old text
If a substitute or substituted player enters the field of play without the referee’s permission:
• if the referee has stopped play, it is restarted with an indirect free kick (…).

If a team official enters the field of play:
• if the referee stops the match, he must restart play with a dropped ball(…).

New text
If play is stopped and the interference was by:
• a team official, substitute, substituted or sent off player, play restarts with a direct free kick or penalty kick

Explanation
There is a growing problem of substitutes/team officials entering the field to interfere with play or an opponent, e.g. stopping a goal. This is clearly ‘unfair’ and a direct free kick (or penalty kick if in own penalty area) is more appropriate

03.7 Player who is sent off before or after kick-off

Additional text
A player who is sent off:
• before submission of the team list can not be named on the team list in any capacity
• after being named on the team list and before kick-off may be replaced by a named substitute (who can not be replaced)
• after the kick-off can not be replaced

Explanation
Clarifies whether a sent off player can be replaced.

03.8 Impact of substitute/team official/outside agent touching a ball which is going into the goal

Old text
In the situations outlined in 3.6 above, the referee must stop play if the ‘intruder’ interferes with play or touches the ball
If an outside agent enters the field of play:
• the referee must stop play (although not immediately if the outside agent does not interfere with play)

New text
If a ball is going into the goal and the interference does not prevent a defending player playing the ball, the goal is awarded if the ball enters the goal (even if contact was made with the ball) unless the ball enters the opponents’ goal.

Explanation
This ‘fair play’ change means the referee can apply the advantage principle so that if the attempt to stop a goal is unsuccessful the referee can award the goal (See 3.9)

03.9 Goal scored with an extra person on the field of play

Old text
If, after a goal is scored, the referee realises, before play restarts, that there was an extra person on the field of play when the goal was scored:
• the referee must disallow the goal if:
the extra person was an outside agent and he interfered with play
the extra person was a player, substitute, substituted player or team official associated with the team that scored the goal

New text
If, after a goal is scored, the referee realises, before play restarts, that there was an extra person(s) on the field of play when the goal was scored:
• the referee must disallow the goal if the extra person was:
a player, substitute, substituted player, sent off player or team official of the team that scored the goal
an outside agent who interfered with play unless a goal results as outlined above in ‘extra persons on the field of play;

Play is restarted with a goal kick or a corner kick.

If, after a goal is scored and play has restarted, the referee realises an extra person was on the field of play when the goal was scored, the goal can not be disallowed. If the extra person is still on the field the referee must:
• stop play
• have the extra person removed
• restart with a dropped ball or indirect free kick as appropriate The referee must report the incident to the appropriate authorities.

Explanation
• Incorporates principle outlined in 3.8 (above)
• Clarifies how to restart if a goal is scored when there is an extra person on the field and play has not restarted.
• Clarifies that if a goal was scored when there was an extra person on the field and play has restarted the referee has to allow the game to continue; the referee can not disallow the goal or ‘nullify’ the period between the goal and the discovery of the extra person.

03.10 Reference to team captain (from Law 12)

Additional text
The team captain has no special status or privileges but has a degree of responsibility for the behaviour of the team.

Explanation
More logical to have this statement in Law 3 rather than Law 12

The new Law Book can be found here

TWO HUNDRED AND SIX PAGES Gorblimey Dange'rous, if you try and explain that lot you'll crash the forum. I did start to read it, but frankly the plot's a bit weak and there's a distinct lack of characterisation. Not much humour either. Obviously we don't want any spoilers, but does it have a happy ending?

Also noticed that the author doesn't get a mention, mind you, if I'd written it I'd want to remain anonymous!

9 hours ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

TWO HUNDRED AND SIX PAGES Gorblimey Dange'rous, if you try and explain that lot you'll crash the forum. I did start to read it, but frankly the plot's a bit weak and there's a distinct lack of characterisation. Not much humour either. Obviously we don't want any spoilers, but does it have a happy ending?

Also noticed that the author doesn't get a mention, mind you, if I'd written it I'd want to remain anonymous!

Thankfully, my aim is just to publicise the changes in law, not the laws themselves. Crikey, I'm committed to helping people understand the changes but I'm not that committed :smiley20:   If people want to read the law changes, fantastic. If not, I'm sure they will certainly learn about them in the 16/17 season when the referee's are adhereing to them. I can just see it now "that's not right ref" :) 

Some interesting changes! Here's a question dangerous....who decides on the kick off time of games? I have seen numerous local game scheduled for say 1830ko and then it has been moved to 1930, I was waiting an hour before I could watch any football needlessly as the home club wanted a late kick off? Does the referee have to agree to this? Or is it left to the two clubs to agree and then they notify the referee?

1 hour ago, Sijames said:

Some interesting changes! Here's a question dangerous....who decides on the kick off time of games? I have seen numerous local game scheduled for say 1830ko and then it has been moved to 1930, I was waiting an hour before I could watch any football needlessly as the home club wanted a late kick off? Does the referee have to agree to this? Or is it left to the two clubs to agree and then they notify the referee?

It is down to the two clubs and the competition. It is the referees duty to inform the competition of any late kick offs. 

Yeah Daves correct. The game would have a kick off time as decided by the competition I.e The Trelawny League. If they want to move away from that time (it's not usually a problem) they just need to inform the league.

If a game kicks off later than the time set by the league (with or without a change), the referee must inform the league of a late kick off.