Cornwall Football Forum

fixture secretary

Talking about fixtures, we've got plenty left. Does anyone else think the combo league has too many teams in it?

Absolutely there are too many teams in the Combo - 38 league fixtures is too many. Leagues of 20 are OK a couple of levels higher (step 6) where floodlights are mandatory.

ECPL play 26 or 28 league fixtures, which is typical for this level. Suggest a Combo of 16 or 18 would be a better number of clubs, or two leagues of 16 if a dozen clubs can be promoted from Mining 1 and Fal/Hel 1.

I agree with baggie too many teams as Perranwell still have 11 to play as they had a reasonable cup run in 2 comps and had postponed on 4 occasions ! And the cricket season is underway ( well its raining) anyway off to St Just now ( must be mad) :c:

I think it would be ideal if one team this year & one next get relegated & not be replaced, or making some sort of play off for those teams who want to go senior with the loser off the play off being relegated or staying were they are.

I'm not really sure how it would work but the combo league needs a trim.

I think it would be ideal if one team this year & one next get relegated & not be replaced, or making some sort of play off for those teams who want to go senior with the loser off the play off being relegated or staying were they are.

I'm not really sure how it would work but the combo league needs a trim.

Actually the Combo could get down to a more managable 18 clubs next season. Perranporth are due to be promoted to the Peninsula with no club relegated in exchange.

Ludgven must be sick of getting hammered, having not won a game and drawn just once all season. They would be far better off in Mining 1 or Fal/Hel 1.

Having spent a number of Saturdays watching football in recent times, I can understand that it is a bit frustrating having to play plenty of games before the season is over, however, when faced with the alternative I know which option I'd pick!

I personally think 20 clubs is just right, plenty of variety, plenty of different locations to visit and lots of long journeys midweek! That's why we love playing local football...

No complaints from me, even if we had to play 13 games before the end of September, which I guess is just as bad in a way, especially when you see your team sliding down the league over the last weeks of the season!!

I agree with Michael ! It's bizarre the way Newquay and Penzance got fixtured so extensively without ever requesting it; and equally bizarre the way some clubs end up with ridiculously unvaried seqyuences of homes and aways...easily surmountable if a fixture secretary wants to surmount it. Some clubs never suffer this kind of imbalance......always the same clubs. This is not a coincidence. This is John Roberts policy.

To deal sensibly with the question of John Roberts and the quality of his fixturing, the whole thing would improve if:

a) he co-ordinated fixturing with info available from CCFA about Senior Cup dates before the season starts.

B) was prepared to use the phone the clubs pay for to communicate with leagues both below and above the Combo more regularly

c) either learned how to use and communicate via computer or stood aside for somebody who can.

d) improved the profile of the league by communicating openly with press, website and other sources.

Sadly, he is a dinosaur. I won't even bother to go into the aspects of his administration.

If you get one club to propose you for a league position and another to second you, preferably providing minutes of the meetings at which they supported your candidacy and send it to the Secretary, Brian Harris, before whatever date is stated in the Combo Rules (available on CTB's website) an election would have to take place at the AGM in the following June. In other words, it's too late for 2009-10, but you could do this for 2010-11 if you were inclined.

Guest cornish pixie

Such a pleasant man Rod, you must look at yourself through rose tinted glasses!! I just don't understand how you can knock people who give up so much of their free time to do a difficult job and to try and keep every one happy, which in my eyes is impossible!.From my dealings with John Roberts over the past 4 years I dont see any of those sorded remarks that you have made.I really cant see him favouring any team in the Combo League with their fixtures, what would he be gaining from it?The last few weeks show many Clubs, busy with games that need to be played, some with 4 in one week, dont see all of them complaining, we certainly haven't, just need to get on with it. Im sure if Clubs were that unhappy with the fixtures, that communication between each other and suggestions to the fixture secretary would be more than welcomed.Remember, communication works both ways!

As for improving the profile of the league, I dont think thats to do with the fixture secretary alone but a Committee decision. Perhaps Rod you could bring this up at the next league meeting.(whoops I forgot your banned from these meetings!)

Finally, Mr Beer, if John Roberts is a dinosaur, your a rodent, and a large one at that!! Before ripping someone else and their conduct to pieces, take a look a little closer to home and the way you come across to people. Arrogant and pig -headed are just 2 words that come to mind where your concerned. :angry2:

Having spent a number of Saturdays watching football in recent times, I can understand that it is a bit frustrating having to play plenty of games before the season is over, however, when faced with the alternative I know which option I'd pick!

I personally think 20 clubs is just right, plenty of variety, plenty of different locations to visit and lots of long journeys midweek! That's why we love playing local football...

No complaints from me, even if we had to play 13 games before the end of September, which I guess is just as bad in a way, especially when you see your team sliding down the league over the last weeks of the season!!

Yes you would say that as you have got floodlights! like Penzance your season nearly over in April so spare a thought for our teams who have reached a cup final and the senior cup quarter final. In may we have 9 league games and some of the guys play cricket!

Such a pleasant man Rod, you must look at yourself through rose tinted glasses!! I just don't understand how you can knock people who give up so much of their free time to do a difficult job and to try and keep every one happy, which in my eyes is impossible!.From my dealings with John Roberts over the past 4 years I dont see any of those sorded remarks that you have made.I really cant see him favouring any team in the Combo League with their fixtures, what would he be gaining from it?The last few weeks show many Clubs, busy with games that need to be played, some with 4 in one week, dont see all of them complaining, we certainly haven't, just need to get on with it. Im sure if Clubs were that unhappy with the fixtures, that communication between each other and suggestions to the fixture secretary would be more than welcomed.Remember, communication works both ways!

As for improving the profile of the league, I dont think thats to do with the fixture secretary alone but a Committee decision. Perhaps Rod you could bring this up at the next league meeting.(whoops I forgot your banned from these meetings!)

Finally, Mr Beer, if John Roberts is a dinosaur, your a rodent, and a large one at that!! Before ripping someone else and their conduct to pieces, take a look a little closer to home and the way you come across to people. Arrogant and pig -headed are just 2 words that come to mind where your concerned. :angry2:

Some teams have 4 games in one week!!

Each teams fixtures until the end of the season are posted on the website.

Click on the link below, then on the link that says INDIVIDUAL TEAM RECORDS CLICK HERE then on the MATCH RECORD of the teams of your choice.

http://www.comboleaguearchive.110mb.com/2008%20welcome.htm

You can also see who has scored what for each team.

If you think there is some bias go on the following page for last season. Open the page, then click at the bottom of the page where it says 2007-08 archive and look at the individual pages for each team. Does there seem to be a bias?

http://www.comboleaguearchive.110mb.com/Index.htm

Thanks, Pixie. Are you another broom-flyer from Ponsmere Valley, perchance ? You're right that I have many faults, but my character was not the subject of the last post. As you rightly show, the reaction of those who are too thick and prickly to take justifiable criticism, based on fifteen years of evidence, of the way they fixture, is to ban the critic whose mathematical proof of their bias is easily demonstrable.

I was just trying to explain the election rules to those who seemed to want to know. If you are now a club representative at league meetings, no wonder the standard of debate is so low.

"thats cos your sorded..."

Arrogant ? Pig-headed ? Semi-literate ? Naive ? Intellectually laboured ?

Blimey...... :o:angry:<_<:(:drink::drink: :drink: