Cornwall Football Forum

Time to open a can of worms !

Guest local_football_supporter

As we all know porthleven have refused promotion from the west divsion , Does this give teams such as holsworthy , elburton villa , millbrook ,ottery st mary the right to refuse relegation ?????

The point in promotion relegation is so teams can find there natural standard !!! With teams refusing to use the system its making a mockery of the set-up ,

Why have teams even got the option to refuse ???? if clubs dont like it they should play in a local league ,

or an alternative could be a club that refuse's promotion should have to start on -10 points next season!

just a thought ?

Guest Postie Pidge

I personally think that if a team comes in the top two (thus qualifying for prize money) and don't take promotion, then they shouldn't be awarded the prize money - or if they are then only half of it.

your top for a reason, that reason being that your the best (normally) team in the league thus, should progress to a level more adequate to the team.

clubs like bodmin, who have the money the players the facilities should be forced to accept promotion. i do not know of the "port" situation. but again, if you finish top you should accept it bottom line!

Guest plainmoor

Porthleven's situation is not even laughable, if they finish top 1 or 2 does that mean the third placed team will not even be considered for promotion? because as the rules at present state a team has to finish in either one of the top two positions to be eligble for promotion.

Porthleven, do Cornwall (& Devon) a favour by backing out of the league you are currently in, thus giving other better structured clubs the chance of progressing, you are becoming a laughing stock and you are quickly losing friends as well as supporters.

Clyst, Cullumpton, Holsworthy, Ivybridge & Witheridge are the only real places that would involve extra travelling compared to the old SWL, get a grip on realality and life, if you can't do it then be man enough to get out of your current league and leave teams in there that do want promotion.

Can't really see where extra costs would come into it, a car holds 5 people (players) 3 cars = 15 players more than enough for a game to be played, that way you only have to pay x3 car expenses per fortnight, you could then rotate the driving so that everyone over a season gets an equal share of your precious money.

Porthleven you are becoming a joke to Cornish football.

Just thought I'd point out that Porthleven did not refuse promotion last season, they never ended up being in a position to take it. Sure, they did not apply, but it was immaterial anyway as the team that finished in first place were trying to get promoted. Maybe the same will happen this season, so don't get carried away with telling them what they should and shouldn't do.

For me, it means the players have to make decisions, if they have ambition they will surely join clubs in the premier, unless, of course they just love playing for Port and it's on their doorstep and if so, who is anyone else to judge them for enjoying their hobby in the best way they see fit?

Porthleven could get promoted and no doubt hold their own with relative ease in the division above! but where do they go from there? Become stale in that league and lose money each week, due to the fact of having to pay a bit extra expenses (no extra money coming in). Then potentially risk losing players due to them having other commitments on and can't commit to the extra travelling that could incur. And then in a few years have to build again!!

Goonhavern went to ground because they went up a league and didn't have any money.

I think Porthleven is a well run club that is sticking to what the Football Club can afford.

It seems clubs choosing to go up or not makes a mockery of promotion/relegation. Same scenerio as Bodmin winning the league at a stroll and choosing not to take promotion for secong consecutive season - i agree having prize money cut for teams not taking promotion is good idea.

Also what is happening with clubs that dont have floodlights in the SW Premier as wasn't there agreement that all clubs should have floodlights within two years of joining the peninsula premier? If so where does that leave clubs like Ivybridge and Elburton for next season?

if that is the case st darren , then porthleven should not be in the peninsula set-up .. this is a set up with promotion and relegation , like it or lump it , thats what approach the league should be taking and in porthlevens case they would have to lump it , and play in a local league somewhere

But Porthleven have the choice to step up!!!

therefore its not mandatory, if it was mandatory then they woudln't have a choice would they?

Club being well run in my opinion.

The majority of football clubs in Cornwall were set up to provide the community with a football team, to follow, play for, support. They could be in danger of losing that if they were to progress without the relevant foundations behind them.

Lets not forget that, Porthleven is logistically in a far worse place than many other teams in the league above!

Thats just my opinion on the matter, and that will not change. Clubs in Cornwall can't earn enough money to make it feasible to go through all this promotion stuff.

therefore its not mandatory, if it was mandatory then they woudln't have a choice would they

and this is where the problem is , the league should grow some balls and lay down the laws !!!!

If Porthleven choose not to take promotion it is only because they view it as being a detriment to their club to do so. Sure we can all go on about the travelling time, cost and budgets but do you actually believe for one minute Port wouldn't make the move up if believed they could afford it. Remember they know how much it cost them in the SWL so they know how much more it would cost. They have been one of the top sides for many years in Cornwall and so be assured they have not taken this step lightly.

Before anyone goes on again about lifts, distances, travelling time and so forth do you think that all that wasn't considered before this decision was made.

Who knows in the future Port may decide differently. Perhaps they will find a massive financial backer or my Euro Millions ticket will come in and I can buy the buggars out completely.

:thumbsup: