Cornwall Football Forum

senior cup latest!!

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Goddam awful 1st half, the worst I've seen both sides play... highlight was the exchanging of handbags on 44/45 mins. One shot on target the whole half and despite the excellent playing service, the ball spent more time doing a great impression of the full moon shining down on the Mount Wise pitch.

2nd half and both sides woke up, St Austell took the lead on 48 mins after a shot which appeared to be going wide was sliced home by a defender, much to the delight of the 70 or so Town followers (and several neutrals praying for a goal, any goal). The Perran lot (no more than 100 of them) were quiet throughout and had little to cheer about as St Austell restricted the Combo side to a few set peices. Penhaligon did manage to pull off one save but had little else to do.

The SWPL side then took control and dominated the rest of the match and were rewarded with a cracking shot from the left edge of the box across the Perran keeper into the top right corner. By this time 30 or so of the more boisterous St Austell fans were behind the goal and the players jumped into the celebrating fans - will make a good piccy in the papers next week. The remainder of the match was just more of the ball being hoofed around until the ref called a halt to proceedings.

From a neutral point of view, both sides will play better and lose this season.

Guest arquati

well done to st austell, a very good side... and everybody from perranporth wishes them the best of luck in the final. Even though i am gutted not to be there with perran... Maybe next year we can have another good battle against them,but without the ruckers though. Congratulations

Expected a bigger crowd and would guess that champions league most definately affected the gate.

Havent been to Mount Wise for ages but the playing surface is top notch, well done!

I feel sorry for the poor sod who has to go and beg for the balls back from neighbours though!

Would also like to thank Newquay for the Radio show plug, much appreciated. (Peppermint)

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Didn't count the attendance tonight but estimated 100 Perran, 70 St Austell, 40 Newquay and 40 others. Definately some missing from Newquay (at home watching CL) and assume the same for the rest of them. Other games in the county may not have helped either.

Full credit to everyone involved with Newquay AFC (and some from Perran) who got stuck in and made it easy to get in the ground without delays, refreshments and beer served quickly and the pitch looking in A1 condition as it has been all season. And of course Peter Gunn, the fastest ballboy in the west.

Hope that those involved in the Radio show will be at Poltair with some recording equipment on Sat.

And only 70 from St Austell.......you better go back to school and learn to count again Judge!!!

Good luck to Perranporth for the rest of the season and well done to the Newquay groundsman......the pitch was superb, the best I've seen it for a long time.

3.41am...just back from the celebrations at The Cookworthy Gareth?? :drink:

Poor game which Town dominated in the 2nd half - a few teacups at half time maybe?? The two Dan's - Nancarrow & Lean - stood out for me last night although Body's goal was a cracker.

Slightly disappointing atmosphere at the game but definitely more supporters from StA than you estimate Judge.

Like many Town supporters, and the committee who have done a terrific job in pulling the club around, I was almost in shock last night. It's 31 years since our last Senior Cup final appearance and 21 years since our last (meaningful) trophy. Can't wait for Easter Monday at Blaise Park - what a place to lift the Senior Cup that would be for any St.Austell supporter!! :yahoo:

Well done to Glyn and the team. Last night's celebrations over, now let's make sure we win it.

Snozzle in the Senior Cup final - enough to make you sick!! This new league certainly has shaken things up!

Well done Lilywhites - you've proved that St Blazey aren't the only quality team in Restormel. :c:

Good luck in the final - I'm still coming to terms with the fact that you've made it to Cornwall's biggest and most prestigious occasion. It can only be a good thing for football in this town! Good luck!

Well done St.Austell. :yahoo: Deserved victory against a Perranporth side that gave their all. Superb playing surface at Mt.Wise must be the best in many a long year.

Tuned into Radio Cornwall this morning [7.50] for their report on the match, not a mention, well there's a suprise, they did tell me the Liverpool score though !!!! why bother to come up for the draw and then not to at least give out the score next morning whilst people are setting off to work. Pathetic. Had it been the 'Skinners Brewery [Rugby] Cup' Veor v Camborne SOM'. would have been comprehensive coverage no doubt.

Rant over. Now looking forward to Easter Monday. :smiley20:

Guest Peppermint

Thanks for the posting Soil Sports Ltd. - I will do another plug tonight at the Newquay/Dobwalls game.

The game last night was played at a fast pace and I thought as a neutral that St Austell deserved to win. Perranporth will probably point to the fact that they have played better this season but I am sure winning the Combination League will be some compensation for them.

Nice comments from a number of people last night about the playing surface and it is nice for our Groundsman Steve to get some throughly deserved acolades for his hard work.

If the chance that Perranporth had with about ten minutes to go had been taken then we might have witnessed a great finish.

Good luck to St Austell in the Final.

Totally agree with David Bray - why come to the Draw and then not bother about reporting the semi - when will Radio Cornwall wake up. Crowd from St Austell was certainly a lot more than the Judge counted.

Guest man on! the sideline

as a perran lad and a mate of gos i'm gutted, would have been great to reach the final, but i'm not blinkerd and the better team won on the night, that second goal was mustard, well done to st austell and good luck in the final, well done to all at mount wise for putting on the semi, must say the pitch did look 'green' lol.

my one gripe is the clash with the CL games on TV, could have pulled a bigger crowd on a different night, but ho hum.

on a positive note perran are still on for a combo league and cup double so lets go get a result at illogan on sat and get back to winning ways

up the pilchards 'B'

Much deserved win for St. Austell on a night where many fans went home with sore necks the amount of time the ball spent in the air!!! Dan Lean (Town) MoM, never missed a thing in the air, Gary Wheildon class in the centre of the park and Body with an absolute screamer to finish Perran off. Creit to Perran, they never gave up trying, but when needed, the cutting edge in the final third was sadly lacking.

Well done to both teams on reaching the final and nice to see my prediction 4/5 weeks ago come through! Maybe you were right Truros Mr Mourinho, I shouldve predicted the lottery numbers that week also!!

Looking forward to the final, should be a cracker.

Speaking as a very happy St Austell supporter and committee member, I would just like to echo some of the sentiments already expressed. Firstly, commiserations to Perranporth AFC and good luck for the rest of the season. Credit as well to Newquay AFC for their hospitality and for providing an excellent playing surface. It was great to see so many supporters from both clubs there. I think that there were considerably more than 70 St Austell supporters there,and it was good to see other clubs represented judging by the tracksuits I saw.

I'm delighted for Glyn and the boys for what they've achieved this season. They have had to face 2 Premier Division sides, the Division 1 West league leaders (2 of those games being away) and a very good Perranporth team who would make a very good Peninsula League team. Having been involved with the club for a number of years, I have seen the bad times, probably none worse than last season, and I've seen the occasional flirtation with success. Everyone on the committee has been working hard over the last few years to keep football alive at Poltair Park and Tuesday night showed that it has been worth it. It would be great to win the Senior Cup, but just to have reached the final is an achievement in itself. I'm sure that we'll all enjoy the trip to St Blazey on Easter Monday win or lose.

Looking forward to Saturday's game against Newquay in the Charity Cup,hoping for a good turn-out and a good game. 2 teams in form, bit of rivalry too...should be interesting. Anyway, I have a programme to write- (oops, may have given away my secret identity now!)

Well done boys, can't wait for Easter Monday!!! :yahoo:

ozzellfan, I'm sure I won't be alone in congratulating you and the rest of the committee on the magic job you've all done this season. It takes real commitment and faith in the club have turned things around so quickly. Next Saturday's Charity Cup match against Newquay should provide a perfect contrast and highlight the changes when judged against this time last year, when you could almost taste the sense of doom before every match at Poltair Park.

To think, last summer we were just praying for a season free of relegation worries!