Cornwall Football Forum

Newquay v Millbrook 04/03/09

Newquay tried to bring this game forward to tuesday night due to a event in the clubhouse on wednesday night but thanks to the lack of cooperation from Millbrook I understand this game will now go ahead on wednesday as scheduled and present the home club with problems how to accomodate everyone.

I fail to see how clubs can,t assist one another,but hey what goes around comes around,they will need a favour one day.

These comments are my own thoughts on the matter .

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

I was under the impression that we asked the SWPL before the season started to arrange any midweek matches at MW to be on Tuesdays - this also suited me and Mrs Judge as we have to work til 8pm on Weds. Now we find that we have 3 Weds night matches in March alone.

As we have had to arrange to take time off work for these matches (not that easy), I'll be pissed off if they get changed again. I understand the the clubhouse will be busy BUT it is a football club, surely our guests that night will appreciate that they must share our wonderful facilities.

Newquay tried to bring this game forward to tuesday night due to a event in the clubhouse on wednesday night but thanks to the lack of cooperation from Millbrook I understand this game will now go ahead on wednesday as scheduled and present the home club with problems how to accomodate everyone.

I fail to see how clubs can,t assist one another,but hey what goes around comes around,they will need a favour one day.

Bazzer im sorry you feel this way but im affraid most of our players had already made arrangements with work so they could be free to travel down for the game.

if your club has other commitments on wednesdays !! Im affraid its the league your club needs to take issue with for arranging the game on a wednesday in the first place.

see you next week !!!

Newquay applied to the league who agreed to the switch subject to Millbrook agreeing,thiis decision,this will result in additional expenditure for the club,staff costs etc,I cannot see how we can fulfill our usual after the match hospitality with minimal space in the clubhouse available.

Judge you should appreciate its the revenue generated in the club on nights other than when matches are played that support the playing sides,I knowits a football club first and foremost.

I can only apologise for this post. The Millbrook Secretary was very helpful when I spoke to him today. It is completely my fault for not asking in due time.

Derek Cherry Sec.Newquay AFC

surely then "bazzer" you should keep your own thoughts to yourself? kind of controdicting yourself here i think by then putting them in a public area for all to see, yet they're your own thoughts that you dont really want people to pay much attention to...

also it can not be expected for Millbrook to have there whole squad to drop arrangements etc at the drop of a hat. people have family commitments such as child minders to arrange, work commitments, travel arrangements, it's not really easy at short notice.

also as your secretary has apologised on the clubs behalf for it being his fault yet you still aim to state your point, be it of your own thoughts.

"if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all" - quote from practically everyones mothers know doubt

p.s these are just my own thoughts

Is it really such a big issue?

Based on the season's attendances, I would say Newquay can expect 50-60 through the gate for this one, with zero to very minimal away support coming from Millbrook. Of those 50-60, perhaps half will want to use the bar, not exactly enough to put pressure on Mount Wise's facilities.

For those complaining about missing a game due to work, deal with it! Wednesday might not be good for you, but you never know you might get some new supporters who can't make a game on Tuesdays.

Stop throwing a hissy fit just because your club doesn't do exactly what you want it to all the time, the club doesn't revolve around you and your schedule.

If clubs start appealing to the needs/wants of individual supporters and the expense of others, they are indeed on a very slippery slope.

Dan, your lot may only get 50-60, but Newquay had 90 (and another 9 from Mowzel) for the home match Saturday and we always have a bigger gate midweek. Just cos your so-called support have all deserted you and now watch St Austell, no need to have a dig at the best supported club in Restormel. Our true average (excluding the Boxing Day game) is over 110, just not all gates were correctly declared before Xmas.

Having said that, the game may be off yet, the weather gods are not looking to kindly on the Duchy at the moment.

Get yourselves promoted, then we can start talking about comparing crowds etc.

We both know you're in a bit of a mickey mouse league and I'm in no mood for picking fights with a step seven side - we have bigger fish to fry :c:

PS there is NO WAY you are averaging over 110 on an average matchday in that league.

Just because some clubs seem to take the "pick a number, double it and add a few" attitude doesn't mean a club with the reputation of Newquay should be doing it. I'm starting to think St Blazey are one of the few clubs in the SWPL who actually record accurately!!

PS there is NO WAY you are averaging over 110 on an average matchday in that league.

Just because some clubs seem to take the "pick a number, double it and add a few" attitude doesn't mean a club with the reputation of Newquay should be doing it. I'm starting to think St Blazey are one of the few clubs in the SWPL who actually record accurately!!

The gates declared before Xmas were UNDER DECLARED for whatever reason. EG; The FA Vase match v Wadebridge, official gate 120 when there were at least 250 in the ground, others include gates declared of 57, I have not seen less than 80 in the ground this season. Since Xmas, the official gates have been more or less right although 2 of us counted 141 v Penryn with a gate declared of 131. Even our reserves had 71 the other week against Falmouth Res.

You may be in the Div above, but our fans are leagues ahead of yours !

Guest Man on the Post

It seems unbelievable that a crowd of over 250 can be declared as 130! As you hold no official position Judge perhaps Peppermint could confirm your figures? I quite often look at the statistics on the CSWPL website and would like to think they are as accurate as possible.

Guest Peppermint

The Judge usually on match days sees things through some sort of alcoholic haze - I cannot see where he gets the fact that Newquay are under declaring numbers attending - he is obviously seeing double.

We at the Club do not make false reports and it is pointless to do so.

Not happy at all when a supporter denigrates and questions club officials who keep the club running.

I am not always at games because of my media committments but I do know since the record crowd at Mount Wise on Boxing Day we have a few more returning to watch football at Newquay and long may it continue.

I would hope we will certainly exceed 50 at home this evening whether Millbrook bring many supporters or not.

Why can't clubs hand out a ticket to each person entering. If the know the start and finishing numbers then they can work out the crowd.

Both the press and SWPL website said that a crown of "nearly 200" watched the Penryn v Penzance match the other evening. Well the SWPL website now has an official figure of 165. To be truthful it would be a push to say there were 150 there and the previous week's crowd figure for the Charity Cup match must have been 120 at most.

Pz give away a ticket for both SWPL and combo matches. The club's figures for the combo matches usually match mine within a couple so I assume our SWPL numbers are fairly accurate as well.

I will say one thing Judge, and a few have commented on it, where did that figure of 737 for the Newquay v Godolphin match come from. From published photos there does not seem to be many in the ground no matter which photos you look at. If there were 700 plus there would be people all round the ground but photos we've seen show the ends with no-one in them. Strange. Was it a case of adding a few on.

Our figure of 411 against Mousehole is correct as we had a corperate event that evening. Peope don't believe us when we say we would have 350 watching Pz v Mousehole in the combo, year after year.

Guest Peppermint

CTB - disappointed with your comment about the size of the Boxing Day crowd because none other than the League Secretary Phil Hixcox agreed the attendance figure because he was there.

Cannot see how photographs would tell you that much depending what angle they were taken from etc - I have not come on here and disputed the Penzance figures for your local derby. Very disappointed with your comments.

Guest Man on the Post

Thanks for clearing that up Peppermint.

I was at the Boxing Day match and I can believe that there were over 700 there. :thumbsup:

Guest fromacrossthewater

Bazzer im sorry you feel this way but im affraid most of our players had already made arrangements with work so they could be free to travel down for the game.

if your club has other commitments on wednesdays !! Im affraid its the league your club needs to take issue with for arranging the game on a wednesday in the first place.

see you next week !!!

Looks like Millbrook are struggling to name a team for tonights game! (according to the Plymouth paper) (may have been stubborness)

Guest Peppermint

Well said Keano - look forward to seeing you at Mount Wise this evening. All clubs have injury problems etc but try to make the best of it - knowing the traditions of Millbrook Football Club and past encounters Newquay will know they are in for a good game. I am sure Jim and his squad are certainly not taking things lightly despite the league table. Millbrook had a great result at fifth place Dobwalls on Saturday.

Guest fromacrossthewater

Looks like Millbrook are struggling to name a team for tonights game! (according to the Plymouth paper) (may have been stubborness)

Guest RedDel

Spoke to the groundsman just before lunch and the ground was drying fast. It's been dry so far today so shouldn't be any problem. Don't want to tempt fate though. As to counting the gate figures I guess it depends on wether you do it before half time when you have to pay or after when its free? (plus seeing double can't help)

I was told by someone very well connected with the club that the figures before Xmas were for those who had paid to get into Mount Wise, whereas the SWPL website clearly states that ALL spectators should be counted. Newquay as a club appear to have taken comments I posted on this forum before Xmas on board and now count everyone or take my word for it. How many were there Saturday ? 99 as counted by two fans, I told the Secretary this who thanked me as he had forgotten to do a count himself.

I always do a count and have someone else (more sober than a Judge) in the main stand also count and we have only ever differed by 3 fans. I'm sure my mediocre Maths O' level is upto the job of counting, even in my old age, senile dementia has not quite set in.

As for the Wadebridge game, 120 declared (paying fans) but the ground was full of kids and parents of the youth sides who got in free, as I said 250 in the ground.

Guest fromacrossthewater

the 3 faces cheering were a pretty good indication knumbnuts !!!!!

There you go again Keano with the abuse. Lowering yourself once again. Again if you read the paper I was just quoting that and certainly not celebrating any injuries.

PS. There is no 'k' in numbnuts!!