Cornwall Football Forum

Callington Vs St. Austell (Game Off)

Guest Postie Pidge

someone has some answering to do, as this is not acceptable at this level

Maybe there is a plausable reason?

I remember Falmouth vs Truro back in the old SWL (2000/01?) the ground was passed fit by a local qualified referee only for the match referee (from Plymouth) to postpone it half hour before kick off with players, supporters, everyone in attendance. Pleas from the managers fell on deaf ears.

B)-->

QUOTE(steve b @ Jan 3 2009, 06:34 PM)

there is only one club to blame callington what a disgrace.i agree with you chairman should not happen at this level

no way are callington to blame for the game being cancelled. the referee ( chris stevens a late replacement who obviously had no balls) called the game off, after turning up late, both sides wanted to play, ref decided the 1% of the pitch that was hard (even though it's much harder in the summer) was to dangerous to play on

Guest ajlongcallington

Thanks middle mans mate - steve b perhaps you need to check the facts before making such stupid comments. Callington officials worked all day Friday and all Saturday morning - pitch was no worse than for the East Cornwall game the week before - just one area was still hard. We did everything in our power to get this game on. Mr Stevens made the final decision and not the club.

Chairman, shame on you, you should know better!

Guest ajlongcallington

again lack of knowledge Steve - it was the view of the club that the pitch was playable - the pitch was just as playable the previous week against St Dominick in the East Cornwall League and the official who was at the game confirmed it by giving the game the all clear - it was the view of the visitors that the pitch was playable - the only one who did not think it was playable was the referee.

No referee would have called off the game in the morning, because as the temperature only dropped to -1 the pitch had ample time to thaw. The problem was an area of the pitch measuring some 3 metres by 10 metres in one corner, where the proximity of buildings did not allow the thawing process to occur to a level that was acceptable to the referee.

So we were left in an impossible position Steve - had we unilaterally called off the game, we would have been reported, quite rightly, to the league - so the decision had to be left to the referee.

So you can now understand how offensive I find your comments, which are made without the necessary information.

With most of us not knowing the rules Andrew .... could it have been a case of getting an official in during the morning to inspect the pitch.

I ask this not being sure what the judgement is on frozen pitches! With waterlogged, at least you pretty much know at ten or eleven o'clock in the morning that the pitch isn't going to get better, but frozen, you need to be a bit of a weatherman, but then Michael Fish even got it wrong once at least!

If I can help Callington feel better, they weren't the only ones yesterday to have their game called off late on by the match official. Or did all these other clubs get it wrong as well? :(

With most of us not knowing the rules Andrew .... could it have been a case of getting an official in during the morning to inspect the pitch.

I ask this not being sure what the judgement is on frozen pitches! With waterlogged, at least you pretty much know at ten or eleven o'clock in the morning that the pitch isn't going to get better, but frozen, you need to be a bit of a weatherman, but then Michael Fish even got it wrong once at least!

If I can help Callington feel better, they weren't the only ones yesterday to have their game called off late on by the match official. Or did all these other clubs get it wrong as well? :(

The pitch was fine in the morning, the sun had done it's job, it wasn't until the sun went in at about 12:00 and the temperature started falling slightly that a small area of the pitch hardened up. when both teams inspected the pitch, they and the St Austell management were quite happy to play the game, the referee was the only one to consider that the pitch was unfit to play on, and to be fair to him it would have been his responsibility if anyone had been injured.Why this has to be about money I don't understand, we had one player come back from London to play after giving his Argyle FA cup ticket away and one player drove from Torquay especially to play, they weren't very happy about it but they didn't winge on about money

once. GET A LIFE

The pitch was fine in the morning, the sun had done it's job, it wasn't until the sun went in at about 12:00 and the temperature started falling slightly that a small area of the pitch hardened up. when both teams inspected the pitch, they and the St Austell management were quite happy to play the game, the referee was the only one to consider that the pitch was unfit to play on, and to be fair to him it would have been his responsibility if anyone had been injured.Why this has to be about money I don't understand, we had one player come back from London to play after giving his Argyle FA cup ticket away and one player drove from Torquay especially to play, they weren't very happy about it but they didn't winge on about money

once. GET A LIFE

haha shame on him, i went arsenal in stead of running the line for callington and got the call while in a local pub. i went to arsenal as mother got me ticket for birthday coming up at end of month.

how can anybody say it was callingtons fault. a pitch inspection would have been carried out the morning of the game, has, as previously posted the referee not been changed from one person to another.

the mousehole game at home in the cup was called 2 wks on trot and second time round there was chance for a pitch inspection in the morning, so those of you who criticice shut it. how would you fell the likes of a side travel ages to be called off, would you pay the fee back, no dont think so, so stop complaining. and for those people saying its callingtons fault and from st austell, why moan when your club aint gonna be top 4 this season anyway

What a joke game called off 45 mins before kick off, players and supporters arrive to the ground for it to be called off!!!

A nice 60 mile round trip for nothing.

and super cooper wotever ur called, i do the programme for callington and u aint even part of the squad so why are you moaning for and stating such a ridiculos post.

NEWSFLASH: Callington v St Austell OFF jesus wot a shock it was good the game was off

porthleven lost 1-0

penzance are 5 points clear

porthleven 4 points clear

callington 5 points behind penzance with them to play jan 31 and also 1 game in hand over both as st austell was P-P Wot excitement this could bring

Guest ajlongcallington

Some interesting posts - just advise that after a harder frost on Saturday night, the pitch was considered playable Sunday afternoon for an Argyle Ladies match - referee described it as a quality pitch, as good as anything he had officiated on this season - to conclude, the responsible person for the game being called off was the referee and only him.

Dave, no referee, considering the fact that the sun was out and the temperature had risen during the morning, would have taken the decision to call the game off at 0900. It is therefore down to the referee to make the final decision which he did on arrival (late) at the pitch.

Sir Alex - which planet have you landed from - did you go to the ground, did you make your informed decision based on facts? I expect not!!

I cannot understand the inane ramblings of some on here - seems to be more interested in creating a story out of nothing - expect that few of them actually involve themselves in the preparation of pitches for games.

This should be an end to the matter.