Cornwall Football Forum

Bunney Losing Interest At Millbrook

Guest millbrookman

Guest millbrookman

As a millbrook regular, i get the feeling that youngster Dane Bunney is rapidly losing interest as Millbrook manager, especially after the unexpected result against Wendron at the weekend. From the sidelines it is evident to see that the defence is the major problem and has needed adressing from day one.

Pen-Collins looks like a very good keeper, and at times i have felt sorry for him with such a poor defence in front of him. Dean Webb is the only defender at the club worth keeping, some fine displays since returning from suspension. Across the middle, Thackeray and Cole have impressed, and are the teams main creators, although given time i feel that Danny Macadam, recently re-signed from callington will gain the form he showed here last season and become a valuable member. Up Front, the only main threat is Hussein, however at times hes very predictable, and i feel that in the peninsula premier, he would struggle to score as many goals as he does in this league. James Hoblin came from Vospers with a good reputation, but is yet to deliver, and has a very lazy attitude, not impressed at all.

Bunney needs to be given some credit for getting a side together with no budget, and the nucleus of the side look like tidy players who could quite easilly play for better placed teams in this league. however, i feel that now is the time for Bunney to take a step back, and maybe in his own mind, hes thinking about doing this, that remains to be seen. one thing i do know though, is that his persistence in chasing players and effort with getting players motivated seems to have deserted him. Anyone with experience of management at this level, should keep their eyes firmly on Millbrook, as before long, i feel the position will become available. i would like to see Darren Raven take over, he was doing very well with no budget at Buckfastleigh, or even Jon Roseveare from tamarside who builds his team around a solid defence....and that is what we are lacking at present!

It really winds me up about teams moaning about no finances, try speaking to managers like Gary Domone at Western League Premier Divsion side Hallen. A tiny hamlet in Gloucestershire. Absolutely no PLAYING BUDGET whatsoever yet they are fifth in the league but they have the lowest home average attendance of just 47.

Not bad, a post pointing the finger at a club only 2 hours after Richards post about constructive comments on another thread; Well done.

Millbrookman, you are either looking for a job or a rise from someone within Millbrook, which?

I would argue that if fans wish to go public on slating the majority of the squad, why would a player want to go there? Look at other reasons other than automatically pointing the finger a young manager trying his best.

I dont know Dane Bunney and I couldnt care less what goes on at Millbrook but Crikey, he hasnt been doing the job long has he?

Look at St Blazey as an example: things not going great after a long purple patch but not once have I read a derogatory post from any of their fans. They have come to expect big things but have the sense to know it doesnt happen overnight.

Give the boy a chance!

Guest fromacrossthewater

Just a thought???? is millbrookman, Dane or keano or mr keane? maybe he's telling us something..

If not then I agree with soilsports, Give the boy a chance, it's difficult to get a team in from scratch and even more difficult to keep a team there.

Guest tafc.-gaffa

Everyone in management has to start somewhere,and normally their first season they need to bed in.

Hopefully he will put a couple of results together and build some confidence in the side and get some people off his back!!!

Guest millbrookman

i understand that the points made are valid, and that us fans have to give the manager time to get things right. dont get me wrong, some of the football this season has been very pretty to watch at times, but pretty football doesnt win you matches. this manager has known from early in the season that he has to bring in defenders, whether that means going into local football, youth football or from teams in this league where players arent getting a game, and giving them a chance. Millbrook have conceeded over 60 goals already this year, yet score around 30. goals and going forward, isnt a problem, its the defending. Prime example, young Ryan Hammond is sitting on the bench for parkway reserves, and would rather do this than play regular peninsula west football, reason being, he has no respect for Bunney. We as fans just want Dane to put the time and effort into the team, and go and approach players from other clubs, stop leaking stupid goals, and give 100 percent to Millbrook Football Club. his eagerness and determination to succeed seems to be disapearing amidst the bucket full of goals conceeded, and the poor run of results. this is our local football team, we are not asking for miracles, just a dedicated manager and eleven players who are determined and will work hard for the badge on the chest!

Guest fromacrossthewater

Agree with you millbrookman, I have watched them on a number of occasions and they clearly are not up to the standard of this league. From what i see and hear the team give up to easily. As a matter of interest who are the defenders at the moment?

actually ryan hammond has been at devon every other week and parkway have played alot of cup games when hes been avaliable and he has to play 3 league games before being eligble to play for parkway in the cup.

hammerz is not the only youth player who doesn't want to play for millbrook

Guest thebigfella

i would like to see Darren Raven take over, he was doing very well with no budget at Buckfastleigh, or even Jon Roseveare from tamarside who builds his team around a solid defence....and that is what we are lacking at present!

Said all along that Dane would be out of his depth. As for Darren Raven or Jon Roseveare, I'm really not sure about either. Neither have a habit of hanging around. Isn't Roseveare back to youth football now? Like Dane, not proven at this level... but they certainly couldn't do any worse and would certainly command more respect.

I feel I need to just make one or 2 things clear not that I have to justify anything to those on here.

When I was appointed at Millbrook in the summer I was given the job to re-build a club! Not just a team. Anyone who thinks that can be done in 4 and half months is wide of the mark. It’s going to take time to build a decent side but I think as has been mentioned in this topic we have a decent foundation to do that on. I don’t pretend to be the most experienced manager in the league but what I do know is I have the full backing of the Millbrook committee and my players. There are a lot of things going on behind the scenes at Millbrook which I can’t go into yet but it has had an instant impact on the current youth team, which has put a few noses out of place. I have a feeling that those who claim to be linked with the club and discussing me in a negative way are those who should know better and have there own agenda but I will deal with that within the club.

In regards to my own commitment, the fact that it’s being questioned means the people who write such shite don’t know me at all. I have never been committed to any project like I am to this, this job and the size of the task in hand has all but taken over my life away from work. But that’s not a complaint because im loving every minute of it. My team will come good and will shut up all you people who are just waiting for me and my players to fail.

Guest millbrookman

Just to answer the few questions posed here, the defenders are digby, bonney, swiggs and oram. these lads are not up to it, and have to be replaced soon Dane. surely you can see that going forward you are fine, but defending remains non existant.

As for Mark C's comment, yes you are correct, its not just Ryan Hammond, other good under eighteens such as ryan hargreaves, lewis young, Calum Berkendale all choose to play their football elsewhere....why? by joining the excellent youngsters of the club, with the nucleus of the side already, that would progress you to an average mid-table team....and given time who knows, maybe even exceed expectations. Roseveare and Raven do tend to walk away from jobs, but the fact is they build their teams around strong defences and have respect from players who want to sign for them. Bunney has no links.

Guest fromacrossthewater

The defenders there certainly are a problem... Think I am right but didn't they all come from the Plymouth league last year and all struggled to get into sides then. Think it is even unfair to them to put them in a side in this league and to tell them they are good enough and also to expect them to compete.

Bonney(from tamarside B i think) has the ability to be a good player but is lazy and falls asleep, Oram and swiggs are punching above their weight for sure.

Dane you need to get the basics of management correct. Get the backbone of the team sorted. A good talkative and experienced centre back, a strong midfielder and a natural goal scorer. This should be what Dane should be focussed on now instead of sticking with players who think they are better than they actually are.

I hope that he gets the team sorted now but Christmas is coming soon and if I were the committee I would certainly be thinking of other options in the management structure, like getting in someone to manage Dane and take him under their wing for a year or so.

I am not questioning your committment Dane but maybe you need to gain some experience and a reputation / respect from a lower league team.

Discipline seems to be a big problem with the team too. Surely this is the managers responsibility too.

I will be at the game on Saturday (if on) and hopefully Millbrook will get a result and prove us wrong.

Unfortunately i think the first team manager is realising how tough it can be running a football team in one of the higher divisions. He has no experience and should have started in a lower league, developed the skills required and built up some respect as a manager then he could have moved into higher football knowing he could use some of his pulling power to get in better players. Unfortunately for the club, he has no pulling power and seems to be approaching every player in Devon and Cornwall and has very little respect by those around him. With regards to the youth team, i support them weekly and to suggest they have had theie noses put out of place is abit rich, neither of the two guys running this team would engage in gossip and are trying to run a successful youth team. I think its the first team manager that has had his nose put out of place by being turned down by most of them who wont play for him. This is an unfortunate situation for the club and all supporters both first team and youth want the best. Come on Millbrook

Guest slimjim

There are a lot of things going on behind the scenes at Millbrook which I can’t go into yet but it has had an instant impact on the current youth team, which has put a few noses out of place. I have a feeling that those who claim to be linked with the club and discussing me in a negative way are those who should know better and have there own agenda but I will deal with that within the club.

With regards the above quote by Keano I have heard a whisper (well more than a whisper actually) that he is trying his utmost to oust the under 18's from the club!! I wonder why !? I guess its nothing to do with the fact that none of the youth team want to play for the swpl div1 side !! Many will ask why none of the young lads want to play for their seniors well its nothing to do with not wanting to represent Millbrook its that they dont want to be associated with their manager Dane Bunney!!

If he is succesful in this petulant act then its an absolute disgrace and I hope the committee see through him!! Bunney your pushing the self destruct button on a club with an excellant reputation do the right thing and get out of football and one this club could do without. :SM_carton_y:

If all this unrest is true then surely it would be a good move to remove this guy from his post as soon as possible.

Millbrook deserve a manager with the clubs best interests at heart. Also a manager that has got the pull on decent local players...old and young! There are plenty of good young managers out there. Take for instance Martin Burgess at Saltash reserves, he has assembled a quality side. A mix of young and old. Quite a few players that have played a lot higher standard as well. All playing for no money. Also previous Tamarside manager Darren Potter who is also able to pull in good quality players.

Unfortunately if all this nonsense continues i'm afraid we will definately see Millbrook in the ECPL.

I think all this slating of the millbrook manager is a bit unfair. people should get off his back and give the guy a chance. Its easy to come on here and start spouting about what he should and shouldnt be doing

but if you have all the answers millbookman maybe you should have applied for the job when it was vacant.

if you are a true supporter you would not be putting more pressure on him in this way.

if he keepr millbrook up he will have done well in his first season in charge and will have gathered some experience to take forward

good luck dave

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

What amazes me most about this thread, is that there appears to be at least 3 so-called fans of Millbrook writing, all of whom are 'newbies' to the forum. Is it possible, that the 3 are indeed one and the same person ?

From my experiences at Millbrook, I doubt if they have more than 3 people who...

1. would any idea that the forum exists

2. have any idea what a computer is

3. have any idea where the ground is.

We went there last season, the 'crowd' was 27 and 13 of those came from Newquay, so who are these people that have sprung up from no-where, I repeat, I beleive the newbioes are one and the same person, probably with a grudge.

it is always a shame when club members or supporters air their views about a the teams manager on this site. Millbrook have not been the same since Ricky Cardew left. Lets be honest about it the club has been in turmoil for some time and yes there appears to be a distinct division between the first team and the youth team. That cannot be allowed to happen and it is up to the clubs committee to sort it out. I have watched Millbrook youth this season and they have some very good players who could play first team football. But wasn't this the team that reached the final of the Rathbone trophy last season and are in the quarter finals this season. (I could be wrong on this) Surely that is the bedrock which every club wants - an excellent youth team to provide first team players. If this is not working then something is clearly wrong and it is within the club that this problem should be dealt with If Millbrook carry on like this then they will be heading for the ECPL quickly. We know the club does not have money but they do have a very good youth team, so why is this not working for the benefit of the club?

Basically because the manager isn't too well liked by people i think. ECPL you are indeed corrct in what you are saying about the youth team being a good side, that should ideally be supplying good young players for the first team. But obviously something is not quite right there. Lots of fingers being pointed at the first team manager. I feel the time to act is now, before it is too late.

• 1 month later...
Guest tamarside fc fan

Ive been reading your discussions with alot of interest,talking of mr Bunny i watched him play football many times he was a meedeeoaker player i can only see him being the same as a manager.

I would like to see someone give my old manager Darren Potter a phone call and get him back into management,ive heard hes got itchy feet and is trying to get back into the game,he was a very good player with so much passion and energy on and off the pitch.I think to be successful as a manager you need the respect of great players not just good ones,and i know for a fact there are alot of players that would love to play for him again.

Darin Potter? I am not aware of the exact situation,but wasn't this the chap who walked out on Tamarside after having led them to the ECPL Cup Final(and winning it):apparently with the team he had built up from the youth.Now it seems that those talented individuals are scattered around several other clubs.Seems odd to me!

i was with saltash in the eclp last season and didnt think tamarside wanted a team in the league from the end of season, therefore darren would have been in no job. i dont blame him for itching to get back into management because my experiences watchin him as a gaffa he is top bloke with loads of enthusiasm good look to whoever he gets involved with. had tamarside decided to remain in the eclp they would be a better side than last season.

Darren Potter a "very good player"........... come off it. He is a lovely bloke and was involved in a very good set up at Tamarside and hence the decent side he assembled at the club. But i'm sure Darren would even agree that "very good" is probably not the whole truth. At best a good player at P+D level who always gave everything and was a good addition to any squad.

It really winds me up about teams moaning about no finances, try speaking to managers like Gary Domone at Western League Premier Divsion side Hallen. A tiny hamlet in Gloucestershire. Absolutely no PLAYING BUDGET whatsoever yet they are fifth in the league but they have the lowest home average attendance of just 47.

I used to play for Hallen they have no budget, think we used to get a tenner a week expenses, but probably the best playing surface in the western league and an excellent and dedicated committee. However Hallen is a tiny little place and is in the Parish of Almondsbury, a few years ago an old lady died and left millions to Almondsbury Parish, the money had to be split between Almondsbury, Easter Compton and Hallen, the money was spent on the sports facilities at Hallen and the new club house and grandstand, which if you have ever been there you will agree that they are excellent. They made a committe decision years ago not to pay anymore than expenses and I believe it is still a tenner!

Guest tamarside fc fan

Cant say to much dont want to get certain players in trouble with there clubs,but these players keep badgering pottsy to get back into management and have told him they would play for him at a drop of a hat,cant wait to see what club he gets and watch the great football all his teams play.I wish him good luck"come back soon".

The reasons Tamarside withdrew their ECPL side has been well documented.There was no hidden agenda,simple fact was we had a very young talented squad who deserved to play at a higher level than we could offer them due to the restraints our ground at the Parkway has in terms of pitch size etc. A lot of that side had come through the Juniors at Tamarside and many had gone onto professional clubs at centre of excellences including the likes of Chris Wright,Danny Brooks,james Alexandra who achieved pro contracts at 16.

As a club we encourage development and it would be against our philisophy to hold players back.One day we will achieve a ground/stadium to match the quality of our players whether it be development of the parkway or partnership with another club then look out!!

Special mention to Darren Potter who has done so much for the club virtually from day one,I know his dream was and still is to lead a Tamarside team into the Peninsula and beyond.......you never know what lies ahead.

As for Pottsys playing ability............. :clapper:

Guest tamarside fc fan

I really hope pottsy makes people eat there words and produces a good side with a small budget,not everything is about money.Hopefully players will honour there word.I can understand were you chaps are comming from, there are clubs throwing silly money at players,you cant blame players for taking advantage of this.As for pottsy we will just have to wait and see.

And Hallen still don't pay. They are 2nd in the Western League Premier Division level 5 and play in front of an average 45 fans. That is one level below step 4 which is Truro City's level. Draw your own conclusions.