Cornwall Football Forum

Combo League Matches

There are three games scheduled (weather permitting) for

Tuesday 9th September 2008

Falmouth Town Reserves (Steve Kellow, Brett Southeard, Ryan Harris) 3-1 St Day (Matt Witts)

Att - 35

Newquay Reserves (Dave Rabone, Aaron Bicknall) 2-2 Penzance Reserves (Sam Long, Ross Badcock)

Att - 76

Penryn Athletic Reserves (Rob Canarle, Stefan Churcher, Steve Owen)3-2 Porthleven Reserves (Rob Robinson, Tom Wadsworth)

Att - 30

Scorers for Newquay were Aaron Bicknell and Dave Rabone.

An awesome game which full entertained a healthy crowd.

Full blooded commitment from both sides and plenty of classy one touch footy on display. The first half was fairly even after Newquay had imopressed early on. Penzance then opened the scoring with a defence splitting pass which saw their striker nip in a split second before the on rushing Tom Lyme to poke home the opener on 20 mins.

Penzance played some wonderful stuff first half but Newquay equalised when Aaron Bicknell cut in from the left and bent a 30 yarder in to the top corner.

Within a couple of minutes Penzance were back in front after Tom Lyme produced a mircaculous quadruple save; bodies were flying everywhere before it finally fell to a lad in white to pick his spot for a 2v1 half time lead.

Newquay stepped it up second half with Grant Russell putting in a 10/10 performance at the heart of the newquay midfield. Within a couple of minutes after the break, wing wizzard Jack bevan saw a shot rebound for Dave Rabone to stroke home an wequaliser. Penzance seemed beaten from that point on but Newquay were unable to find the winner and came closest when Scott Palmer's first time effort cannoned off the post with the keeper beaten.

I may be wearing peppermint coloured spectacles but I feel Newquay were unlucky not to pick up three points. It was possibly the best performance by Newquay this season eclipsing the hard earned point v Perranporth.

For those cynics out there, yes there was amassive Newquay 1st team presence tonight....all the lads came down to watch after their own training session !

Newquay : Lyme, Bunt, Weller, Taylor, Bevan, Bicknell, Russell, Harris, Lawrence, Palmer, Rabone (D).

Subs : Jolly, Rabone (M), Prentice, Mitchell, Darwent

Super show Newquay.

New table online now.

http://www.comboleaguearchive.110mb.com/2008%20table.htm

Will do rest of the site later

CTB

I won't bother to write a report as it has been done apart from our first goal was scored by Sam Long, our 2nd by Ross Badcock.

I wrote down that the 1st half was a tight game with very few clear cut chances.

The reason why Penzance were not so good in the 2nd half was that Darren Holsey had to limp off during half-time after being taken out by the Newquay player on the goal line. It made us much weaker at the back, hence it made Newquay look much better than they were. Newquay had a decent 20min spell after they made it 2-2 but the game evened out and in the last 5mins it was Pz who finished the stronger.

Corner count was Newquay 3-3 Penzance (1-3 1st half)

Crowd 76 of which we counted at least 18 from Pz.

Newquay 2 - 2 Penzance

Newquay and Penzance met for the 99th time and put on an excellent display, although Newquay will be disappointed not to come away with all three points after dominating the game for long periods.

Newquay showed passion, determination and commitment to match the recent performance against Perranporth and started well, only to concede the opening goal after a long ball fell between two centrebacks and Sam Long slid the ball past Newquay 'keeper Tom Lyme to open the scoring for Penzance against the run of play. Newquay were determined to level things up and maintained possession for long periods. Their efforts were rewarded when Aaron Bicknell collected the ball on the left wing, cut inside and hit an outrageous right footed shot from thirty yards that sailed over the motionless Penzance 'keeper and into the top right corner.

Newquay could not hold on to their lead for long, a goal-mouth scramble started after Newquay cleared the ball of the line. No fewer than five shots followed, Tom Lyme made a couple of outstanding saves but after it appeared the chance had gone, the ball finally dropped to Ross Baddock who coolly slotted the ball into the top right corner to regain the lead.

The half-time whistle followed and we knew we were in for an excellent second half. Andy Bicknell selected a formation that was proving to be a match for Penzance and stifled the free-flowing style of the young and talented Penzance team.

Newquay dominated the whole of the second half and Penzance lost their rhythm as they were pushed back deeper and deeper. Scott Palmer used his strength and power to shrug off a Penzance defender to get a strike on goal from the right hand corner of the box. The Penzance 'keeper was slow to react and could only palm the ball into the path of Dave Rabone, who sidefooted the ball home from ten yards to equalise.

Newquay went in search of the winning goal and came closest when Scott Palmer hammered a right foot shot against the upright with the goalkeeper rooted to the spot. It would have been a fitting way to win the game but it wasn't to be. Penzance did not have an answer to Newquay's determination and the midfield trio of Grant Russell, Shaun Lawrence and Andy Harris dominated proceedings.

Newquay continued their efforts to win the game and will be a little disappointed that they were not rewarded for their efforts. Shaun Lawrence was on the receiving end of two clumsy tackles by the Penzance goalkeeper, on another day they may have resulted in a slightly different outcome.

Man of the match - Grant Russell just shades it after an awesome performance in midfield.

Crowd - 95

Ref watch - Jack Rosenfeld controlled the game very well and all bookings were appropriate. He kept the game flowing and did an excellent job.

He probably counted the 10 or so players in each dug out ! I would happily pay my entry fee to sit on the bench and be a spectator. Likesay, a cracking game.

I see from the table Newquay have already played the top 5 - and yet to play anyone in the wrong half of the table. Has anyone had such a difficult start to the season ?

Guest Peppermint

Without wishing to upset CTB - he refers to one of their defender's being taken out on their own goal line but conviently makes no reference to Shaun Lawrence being violently taken out in the Penzance goalmouth! I woiuld have thought that normally results in a penalty kick and a red card for the keeper who was the last man.

I and several Newquay supporters would be interested to read Zebedee's comments because he was the Assistant Referee [ Club Linesman] on that side.

That incident apart it was a good game with both sides trying to play football and one thing I have to agree with CTB is the attendance figure but as in most clubs the crowd always seem to get bigger after half time!

I can't resist so here's my report through black and white tinted specs,

Cornwall Combination League

9th September 2009

Newquay Reserves 2-2 Penzance Reserves

As far as Penzance were concerned this was a game of two halves. During the first half, strong defence and quick breaks, the second half unsure defending with a weak attack. They say a player can influence a game and it could be put down to Darren Holsey having to be substituted at half-time due to an injury sustained from a rough tackle. Up to that point we had made him Penzance’s Man of the Match.

Penzance came into this match with their tails up having beaten previously unbeaten Illogan 4-2 at Oxland Park at the weekend whilst Newquay fought out a dour 2-2 draw away to Portreath at Clijah Croft, Redruth.

The first attack of the game goes to Penzance who work their way down the right, cross but volley wide. Then Scott Palmer, down the Newquay left, turns James Street and puts in a clever 30yd chip that goes just wide with the keeper stranded.

Ryan Holland pushes forward on the left, puts in a cross to the back post but Sam Long heads wide whilst under pressure.

By this time both teams seem to cancel each other out with no real chances until the 24min. A through ball down the middle sees Sam Long slip between two converging defenders and volley low into the net past the advancing keeper to score his 3rd of the season. 24mins, 0-1.

Once again the mid-fields cancel each other out with neither side getting much past their opposing defence. Then Newquay equalise in the 33min. A one-two in the centre circle, a look up and Aaron Bicknall fires off a clever dipping volley from all of 40yds that has the right amount of curl to leave the Penzance keeper stranded mid-area as it sails into the net. 1-1, 33mins.

Then 2mins later Penzance regain their lead. A corner on the right is dropped onto the penalty spot. A volley goes in which the keeper brilliantly saves, the ball rebounds in goes another volley, saved, another, a clever one-handed stop, another shot, deflected by a defender, then Ross Badcock blasts it out of everyone’s reach into the top left hand corner of the net from 6yds. 1-2, 35mins.

Then Penzance try to close the game down and the last few minutes of the half are tight. A Newquay player gets booked for a rough tackle on Darren Holsey just before the break.

Penzance make a substitution at the start of the second half bringing on Liam Bennett for Darren Holsey.

Newquay come out all guns blazing and have the Magpies new look defence on the back foot strait away and within two minutes have equalised. They work their way down the right, cross, Scott Palmer volleys from the edge of the box only to see Craig Nicholls dive and force it away but Dave Rabone runs in and volleys it over the still prostrate keeper from 15yds out. 2-2, 47mins.

Penzance are now under severe pressure and give away some silly free kicks. Sam Long gets booked for a late challenge. Newquay get a corner on their right. The ball is crossed long, volleyed in, it rebounds out and another volley comes in but one of their own players is in the way and gets the ball in his face dropping him like a stone.

Then Penzance should have been down to ten men. A through ball from the Newquay mid-field down the centre sees Shaun Lawrence turn the Penzance defence. He runs one on one with the keeper and is chopped down from behind by James Street who only gets a yellow card. It looked a sending off offence as he was last man.

Newquay get a free kick 30yds out in the centre and try a curling shot but it goes wide of the angle of the bar. Then Newquay have a golden opportunity to go in front. They work down their left, put in a cross pitch ball and Scott Palmer blasts a screamer from the edge of the box which rattles the upright that rebounds harmlessly away.

Penzance substitute Ashley Gray for Ross Badcock to open it up a bit up-front. Newquay are putting the Penzance under real pressure by now and the magpies are chasing the ball in defence playing deep. A long ball from the back sees Craig one on one but the Newquay player flicks it just wide of the post.

Penzance bring on another defender Tony Riggall replacing Danny Magee who was limping for the last 10mins as he is still suffering from the bad challenge he received whilst playing against St just.

Newquay then make a couple of substitutions and this seems to break the rhythm of their attack and the final few minutes sees Penzance the more dominant but each attack comes to nothing.

Penzance Man of the Match – unfortunately we felt no one stood out enough apart from Darren Holsey for his 1st half performance.

Newquay Man of the Match – their keeper for his 1st half saves.

Penzance – Craig Nicholls, Ashley Thomas, Ross Badcock, Ryan Holland, Bradley Wills, Danny Magee, James “Lucky Lad” Street, Sam Long, Darren Holsey, Mark Grenfell, Dan Richardson

Subs – Liam Bennett (Holsey 46), Ashley Gray (Badcock 69), Tony Riggall (Magee 75)

Corners Newquay 3-3 Penzance (1-3 1st half)

Crowd 76 of which we saw at least 18 from Penzance.

Guest Peppermint

Fair report CTB. I have to agree with Mitch that Grant Russell was the home team's man of the match.

Disappointed that Zebedee was logged on earlier in the day but made no comment about the possible sending off and penalty claim!

I counted the crowd just after half-time, my eyesight is a lot better than my footballing ability, I could even see three people in the dark over on the far side! I also had a good view of who was in the stand and behind the dug-outs.

We did have a lot of the first team watching after training and they always give the reserves support. So 95 it is!

I was going to make it 96 but Trevor would have shook his head at me with stern disapproval! I thought it was an excellent game, Newquay must be firm favourites for a big pools pay out with all of these score draws...

I counted the crowd just after half-time, my eyesight is a lot better than my footballing ability,

At least you admit it Rabone!!! :lol::lol:

So-scored yet? or is it just barn doors at the mo (if your lucky that is)? :lol::lol:

Oh by the way, my Nelson Mandela trucker cap didnt come out to play that day!!!! Ihad George Bush's on instead :lol: :lol:

Couple of things. We don't count players in crowd numbers so 76 it is. One of our head counters was my daughter and she picked up a brand new pair of specs from Specsavers yesterday morning. Granted they were these react-2-light ones but your floodlights aren't that bright for her to miss 20 people. :P

2nd point.

Does anyone know who scored St Day's goal last night?

Thanks

Yes and a blo*dy expensive pair of glasses they were too. I can count and i double checked it was 76 both times, the only way you could have got any higher was if u counted all the players (within the pitch fencing) standing on the touchline and around the dugouts... otherwise it was a figure 'plucked' from thin air! :SM_carton:

Smithy - I've heard that you've had a few splinters too this season? ha ha. I'm happy to take my place on the bench (even if it is down to Rafa Jnr), I can certainly empathise with what happened to you last season.

As for the attendance, damn, I must have included the 11 onlookers in the second half....!

what happened to me last season? did i miss something there?