Cornwall Football Forum

First of all, congratulations to the youth of the village on an excellant victory.

Next, can anyone tell me why St Tudy don't have a senior side anymore? Also, when I was playing in the old Bodmin and District League, both St Tudy and Blisland had good sides, in fact Blisland were virtually unbeatable in those days, what has happened that neither have sides anymore?

Guest Postie Pidge

Did they actually play in St Tudy and Blisland and if so are the pitches still there?

Changing the subject slightly, what is going on at Molinnis (Bugle), is that being used this season?

There are a number of teams in this part of the county that have folded including St.Tudy,St.Mabyn,Port Isaac,Blisland and St.Kew (Junior Cup winners,i think,in the past).St.Minver have also struggled in recent seasons.

I can remember going into the Blisland Inn some years back and looking at the photos on the walls of past teams from the village.They were frightening.

I played on the cliff top pitch at Port Issac for St Lawrences. It sort of gave one the impression of being a dangerous place to be playing.

I played at Blisland around about 1974 ish for Bodmin Town reserves, it might have been a year or so later. I remember we had to walk a fair way to get to the pitch at Blisland and it was always covered in bovine artwork. lol The Blisland pitch was a couple of hundred yards from the pub.

At one game I accidentally knocked out their keeper, it wasn't a clever move. His name was Greenaway and I believe there were at least eight Greenaways playing that day, there were more on the sidelines. Luckily someone from the Blisland side took pity on me and spoke up that it was accidental just before the lynching.

I'm almost certain the St Tudy pitch was right close to the village.

Yeah,Pablo,i remember being struck by the fact that most of the Blisland team were called Greenaway.Just goes to show that it was a true village team.

I think some of the Greenaways moved on to play for St.Breward in the East Cornwall League at that time.

I think that the Port Isaac pitch was alongside the top car park in the village and had a severe slope.

It's a great shame a village of Blisland's size has ceased to have a side.

Although the Greenaways had something of a reputation, I never really saw anything other than a hard football team Hard to play against and hard to beat. At the Blisland Inn afterwards we probably achieved a liquid draw but on the pitch; they were awesome.

I'll be in Cornwall for most of next week and might just make a visit to see what is left of the pic's, if anything.

Funny story: I played my first match in goal for St Lawrences at the request of the captain who I met in a Bodmin pub one night. I hadn't even met any of the other players but duly turned up at St Columb Minor (think it was Minor - recreation ground?) Anyway the kickabout ensued with a lot of lively banter, probably because of my appearence, not sure but anyway the captain was actually sent from the field for effing. I played the whole match not knowing who anyone was. Can't remember what the score was at the end but it was a difficult first game for me to say the least.

Guest Postie Pidge

I think that the Port Isaac pitch was alongside the top car park in the village and had a severe slope.

How severe SF? St Austell? Halsetown? Pendeen? Star Inn's old pitch at Carbis Bay Holiday Camp?

Yep, exactly there. I reckon those houses have been there fourteen or fifteen years by now. I believe it is a fact Bodmin Town played at home there at the turn of the century, PP I've even seen a photograph that was taken there.

From B T's history:

Bodmin played originally at Cooksland then moved to Coldharbour Lane, Barn Park,back to Cooksland, then Westheath and finally Priory Park.

It was a bitch, wasn't it!

Oddly enough I once played outfield there and scored a double 3 in that goal. Was back between the sticks soon after. Don't think our centre forward was to pleased with me, Cat. It was my second greatest achievement. My first was playing in goal in an E. P. FA Cup game for a village side in Dorset / Somerset. Only let one in but lost. It was my last game for that club.

PP, if you look on google earth I think you can still see where Port Isacc played.

Google Earth. I'm hoping I've marked the exact spot of Blisland's pitch. I'm not absolutely certain about Port Isacc's but it's close. Maybe Soccer Follower can confirm it. I have also marked St Lawrence Pitch, approx, PP.

I think Port Isaad's pitch was as steep as Halsetown's Pidge but it was many years ago that i had my lunch in the car park beside the pitch.

I think that St.Mabyn's pitch was right in the centre of the village (well,i remember seeing goalposts there)

St.Kew played at St.Kew Highway close to the A39 Road.

Going back to Blisland - with the way football has changed over the past three decades, I'm not so sure how they would get on today with their style of play. Aggressive, sometimes intimidating, but let's not knock it too much as at their level, it was reasonably successful.

Certainly the Greenaway name will always be connected with the club - but what was the name of the guy who use to use newspapers as shin-pads? Was it Frank Nicholls or similar? All I know is that no one ever wanted to try out how effective his pads would have been!

Actually was his name Frank Harvey?

:c:

Great story Dave. Never heard about the newspaper guy but can believe it.

It's just a shame traditions change, at least in the case of Blisland, we never minded going there to play and as I have already mentioned, I was shown fair play that day.

• 2 weeks later...

Postie Pige, my sincere apologies re: photo Bodmin Town at St Lawrence ground. It doesn't appear in any of the books by Pat Munn. I can only suggest it must have been on the Bodmin Town website history section. It isn't there now but to be honest their website hasn't been updated in two years.