Cornwall Football Forum

Truro City Western League Champions

Congratulations Truro City on becoming the FIRST Cornish club to venture into the Southern League

Winning the 2007-08 Western League title they now join three other Cornish clubs to win this title(Top division)

Falmouth Town Champions 1974-75;1975-76;1976-77;1977-78

Saltash United Champions 1984-85;1986-87;1988-89:

Liskeard Athletic Champions 1987-88

Only Cornish Clubs to win the Western league and League cup double Falmouth Town 1974-75; Saltash United 1986-87

Only Cornish club unbeaten league season Falmouth Town 1974-75

Most Western League goals for a Cornish club in a season Falmouth Town 134g 1975-76; Truro City 132g 2007-08:

Least Western League goals conceded by a Cornish club Falmouth 24,Liskeard 33,Saltash 35,Truro City 39

Most goals in a Western League season Tony Kellow(Falmouth) 1975-76 46L 15 C = 61 Total:

Stewart Yetton(Truro) 2007-08 40 League 14 cup = 54 Total

So from now on it is now up to Truro City to put Cornwall on the football map . I wish them good luck.

I think there has been a question as to the exact number of goals scored by Yetts now for a little while.

A few weeks ago I was one out, and looking at the records in your match programme from yesterday, I make it that he's notched a total of 56!

League : 40

FA Cup : 3

FA Vase : 2

Cornwall Senior Cup : 6

Les Phillips Cup : 5

TOTAL : 56

So who's right? :D

Actually I've just had a thought : I see Brislington away in the Les Phillips Cup doesn't even appear on the club's website under the season's list of games (despite it being in the programme). This game was lost 3-2, scorers Yetton and Wills, but then awarded to Truro because of a technicality. The game presumably being, as they say, expunged from the records, hence knocking one off Yetton's goal tally! 55 it is - phew, got there in the end!!!

Guest Gloworm

Congratulations. This title is sure to make a name of Cornish football. I wish them every success in the future, just as I do to every Cornish club.

I might be able to go and see them play away at the likes of Abingdon and Didcot next season.

Guest Terrier Tom

Congratulations Truro City on becoming the FIRST Cornish club to venture into the Southern League

Winning the 2007-08 Western League title they now join three other Cornish clubs to win this title(Top division)

Falmouth Town Champions 1974-75;1975-76;1976-77;1977-78

Saltash United Champions 1984-85;1986-87;1988-89:

Liskeard Athletic Champions 1987-88

Only Cornish Clubs to win the Western league and League cup double Falmouth Town 1974-75; Saltash United 1986-87

Only Cornish club unbeaten league season Falmouth Town 1974-75

Most Western League goals for a Cornish club in a season Falmouth Town 134g 1975-76; Truro City 132g 2007-08:

Least Western League goals conceded by a Cornish club Falmouth 24,Liskeard 33,Saltash 35,Truro City 39

Most goals in a Western League season Tony Kellow(Falmouth) 1975-76 46L 15 C = 61 Total:

Stewart Yetton(Truro) 2007-08 40 League 14 cup = 54 Total

So from now on it is now up to Truro City to put Cornwall on the football map . I wish them good luck.

I take it from your stats Mike that you are looking only at the Western Premier League as opposed to the Western League as you have called it. Else obviously Truro's stats from last season would stand?

Well done to Truro City - fantastic achievement, and whatever happens next year (or further down the line) you have made history as a Cornish side and can undoubtedly lay claim to fielding the most succesful Kernow team ever. By playing in the Southern League, no-one can deny you that. :clapper:

Tom-I did state Western League top division as in the early days it was the only one and now it has developed into two(Premier/Div1).

What I was trying to emphasise is that Truro have just completed a season which EQUALS in the ranks of Cornish history and by August they will have attained the highest league level (Southern SW1 or Mid1) than any other Cornish club.