Cornwall Football Forum

RESULTS - Tuesday April 23, 2024

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Tuesday April 23, 2024

Impressive second half from the Seagulls. When they get into their rhythm they are a joy to watch.
 I enjoyed my first visit to Trungle Parc, although ground currently surely needs upgrading should they be in Step 3 next season, as they could be. 

Seats in the stand uncomfortable and I thought mine might break…… I’m not THAT big and heavy!! It is, for now, not a fun experience walking along the track en-route back to the village either. I was told new stand/s imminent and, of course, the ‘Trungle Track’ there are plans for. 

A further improving ground to go with a continually improving team would be fantastic.

Interesting to see hear / see Jake Ash at work. He always cuts such an impressive figure.

Here’s hoping Mousehole realise those play-off ambitions on Saturday!

Great win for Tavi stopping Wimborne from winning the title, listening to the Wimborne manager on Twitter doesn't seem like they were very gracious in defeat. Tavi's win was also a good result for Mousehole as it now means that Frome can still win the league when they play Mousehole's fellow play off contenders Manor Farm on Saturday.

1 hour ago, SomersetObserver said:

listening to the Wimborne manager on Twitter doesn't seem like they were very gracious in defeat

I thought he was ok. Anyway, I’m not sure a manager has to be gushing over the opposition if they get beaten! 

15 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Impressive second half from the Seagulls. When they get into their rhythm they are a joy to watch.
 I enjoyed my first visit to Trungle Parc, although ground currently surely needs upgrading should they be in Step 3 next season, as they could be. 

Seats in the stand uncomfortable and I thought mine might break…… I’m not THAT big and heavy!! It is, for now, not a fun experience walking along the track en-route back to the village either. I was told new stand/s imminent and, of course, the ‘Trungle Track’ there are plans for. 

A further improving ground to go with a continually improving team would be fantastic.

Interesting to see hear / see Jake Ash at work. He always cuts such an impressive figure.

Here’s hoping Mousehole realise those play-off ambitions on Saturday!

Jake Ash always cuts a very impressive managerial figure whether it's a win, loss or draw. Has also managed to assemble a very strong coaching staff in Jack Greenwood, Andy Graham and Charlie Davis.

Mixed feelings though regarding the play offs. Want to see Mousehole reaching them and progressing,but I do worry that Southern Prem (step 3) is a bit beyond them. The jump up from Southern Div 1 is huge, and they would have to contend with a 42 game season while being based in the most westerly part of the country. Would hate to see the Mousehole story collapsing under the logistical and financial pressure.

1 minute ago, Ian Pethick said:

Jake Ash always cuts a very impressive managerial figure whether it's a win, loss or draw. Has also managed to assemble a very strong coaching staff in Jack Greenwood, Andy Graham and Charlie Davis.

Mixed feelings though regarding the play offs. Want to see Mousehole reaching them and progressing,but I do worry that Southern Prem (step 3) is a bit beyond them. The jump up from Southern Div 1 is huge, and they would have to contend with a 42 game season while being based in the most westerly part of the country. Would hate to see the Mousehole story collapsing under the logistical and financial pressure.

All fair points. I was last night, upon visiting for the first time, a bit disappointed with Trungle Parc. Small stand with some seats not usable and more feeling not very strong. Two of those drop in ‘Step 6’ type stands going in aren't going to look great. The travel logistics / cost on crowds of 150 could be challenging. Step 3 - is it too much too soon? If PPFC find it a struggle then what of Mousehole? Tivvy struggle on relatively small gates too. 

The Mousehole story is one that has rightly brought them admirers as well as respect. Helston get mostly just the latter. Why? Just curious. Isn’t it one of playing style, personalities, or simply unexplainable?

Lastly well done Helston. Go well in the SL. Hopefully Falmouth will join you!

27 minutes ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

All fair points. I was last night, upon visiting for the first time, a bit disappointed with Trungle Parc. Small stand with some seats not usable and more feeling not very strong. Two of those drop in ‘Step 6’ type stands going in aren't going to look great. The travel logistics / cost on crowds of 150 could be challenging. Step 3 - is it too much too soon? If PPFC find it a struggle then what of Mousehole? Tivvy struggle on relatively small gates too. 

The Mousehole story is one that has rightly brought them admirers as well as respect. Helston get mostly just the latter. Why? Just curious. Isn’t it one of playing style, personalities, or simply unexplainable?

Lastly well done Helston. Go well in the SL. Hopefully Falmouth will join you!

With Helston, is it the "Steve Massey Factor?" He certainly divides opinion on here .

Mousehole have had their share of detractors on here over the years. Seem to remember the approach made by them to Penzance back in 2018 regarding a possible merger was quite warmly debated on this forum, similarly their recruitment of ex professional players from all over the country (and also Europe) has attracted criticism as well. 

6 hours ago, Ian Pethick said:

With Helston, is it the "Steve Massey Factor?" He certainly divides opinion on here .

Mousehole have had their share of detractors on here over the years. Seem to remember the approach made by them to Penzance back in 2018 regarding a possible merger was quite warmly debated on this forum, similarly their recruitment of ex professional players from all over the country (and also Europe) has attracted criticism as well. 

All that seems to be right. When I’ve seen Helston over recent years, they have been organised, difficult to beat with an ability to grind results  out,  even when not playing well. Fluent and easy on the eye? - rarely in games I’ve seen. 

Of course, the constant churn of players when Mass was in charge of team affairs and money attracting players from far and near not loved by all, but they weren’t / aren’t alone in this. Yet for a time Helston were singled out for doing so.

Overall, I think Mass is good for Helston obviously, but Cornish football generally, although going to games in suits, his ‘Alan Partridge’ like Piran Films persona and Helston’s over-reliance on him give rise to criticism from some. Others resent the Blues and others’ success! No-one can surely doubt his commitment to the club, with him watching the youth / development and women’s teams , as well as the flagship side.

My take is simple. I want clubs in Cornwall and Devon to reach their highest practicable level. It is good that Cornwall has clubs now at several levels of the NLS. 

Hopefully we will see Parkway stay up and Falmouth in Step 4 soon. 

11 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

All that seems to be right. When I’ve seen Helston over recent years, they have been organised, difficult to beat with an ability to grind results  out,  even when not playing well. Fluent and easy on the eye? - rarely in games I’ve seen. 

Of course, the constant churn of players when Mass was in charge of team affairs and money attracting players from far and near not loved by all, but they weren’t / aren’t alone in this. Yet for a time Helston were singled out for doing so.

Overall, I think Mass is good for Helston obviously, but Cornish football generally, although going to games in suits, his ‘Alan Partridge’ like Piran Films persona and Helston’s over-reliance on him give rise to criticism from some. Others resent the Blues and others’ success! No-one can surely doubt his commitment to the club, with him watching the youth / development and women’s teams , as well as the flagship side.

My take is simple. I want clubs in Cornwall and Devon to reach their highest practicable level. It is good that Cornwall has clubs now at several levels of the NLS. 

Hopefully we will see Parkway stay up and Falmouth in Step 4 soon. 

Regarding Steve Massey, I'm not always certain that his managerial record at his numerous clubs stands up to scrutiny, but what cannot be denied is how much of a passionate advocate for Cornish football he's been over the last 30 years or so.