Jump to content
Cornwall Football Forum

Falmouth Town 4:   Clevedon Town 0.

Recommended Posts

Falmouth Town 4:                    Clevedon Town 0.

Wilson 17’

Massey 39’, 90+19’, 90+30’.


Falmouth Town continued their excellent run of form with an accomplished performance against high-flying Clevedon Town, in front of another healthy crowd of 531, who braved the deteriorating weather to witness the home team replace their visitors in 2nd place of the Toolstation Western League Premier division.

Falmouth named an unchanged starting line-up from their previous 8-2 victory over Welton Rovers, but selected new midfield signing Andrew Elcock on the bench, having committed to Falmouth after his spell at Tavistock.  Elcock had previously turned out for Mousehole over a number of seasons.  Cam Hutchinson was unavailable for selection.

The game started with Falmouth in the ascendancy with Clevedon seeming to be happy to just clear their lines. Falmouth created a few promising attacks with Luke Barner looking like the player who was going to make the difference by running at and committing the Clevedon defence, but it was not until 17 minutes in that Town took a deserved lead. Again, it was Barner breaking down the left causing havoc.  This time he managed to craft a cross in towards Rubin Wilson, but it just evaded him and ran through to Jared Sims beyond the far post. Sims dug the ball out and floated in an inviting cross which Wilson headed powerfully over the top of Clevedon keeper James Dunn to make it 1-0.

Falmouth continued to have the lion’s share of the play but had to wait until the 39th minute to add to their lead. Pacy young striker Oscar Massey latched on to a ball over the top and drove into the area. He checked back under pressure from a Clevedon defender who then caught Massey with an out-stretched leg and the referee had no choice but to award a penalty.  Massey stepped up confidently and hit a powerful shot to the keeper’s left giving him no chance. In some great scenes he was mobbed by his fan club of young Town supporters as he celebrated the goal.

The half ended with another chance for Massey.  Rubin Wilson, who again worked tirelessly up-front for Falmouth and gave the Clevedon defenders a torrid time with his physicality and hold-up play, dispossessed one of the Clevedon centre-backs and the ball broke to Massey. He once more carried it into the area but this time could only hit the side-netting with a powerful shot.  However, the best was yet to come from Town’s leading scorer.

A very strong first half from the home team prompted Clevedon to make a change at half-time with Owen Punselie replacing Alex Camm up-front and he looked much more effective when he was given possession.  However, Town were still in control but could not add to the score-line despite them creating a few promising situations.  Clevedon had their best period of the game as the half progressed with Punselie and fellow substitute Sam Beresford showing up well.

After about 65 minutes the game was held-up for a good 30 minutes when the big Clevedon No.6 Caleb Selway went to ground after what looked like a minor collision with Rubin Wilson. In fact, he had sustained a facial injury, was unable to be moved for some time and eventually had to be stretchered off to await the arrival of an ambulance. In the meantime, both teams left the field of play as the weather worsened.  Much to Clevedon’s credit, they were adamant that they wanted to complete the fixture despite the score-line and the game resumed. The heavy rain had taken its toll on the pitch by then and both sides started to struggle to retain the ball.

Falmouth brought on new addition Andy Elcock for Jack Webber in centre-midfield and he showed a few assured touches despite the conditions.  Falmouth added to their lead in the 19th minute of added  time with another quality goal from Massey.  This time he latched on to a loose ball after Wilson had dispossessed a visiting defender and ran at the defence before hitting a powerful low shot into the bottom right-hand corner of the Clevedon goal.

Despite the consistent goal scoring exploits of both of Falmouth’s recent signings Wilson and Massey, neither of them had managed to record their first hat-trick for their new club yet.  This all changed in the 30th minute of added-on time. The ball was cleared by Clevedon to the feet of Massey who was in his own half.  He drove at the Clevedon right-back and out-paced him before cutting in to the edge of the area, beating another two men and again shooting to the keepers right for an outstanding individual goal, scored despite the heavy pitch.  A deserving outcome to cap a fine individual and team performance.

Falmouth next travel to Wellington on Tuesday night and with title-rivals Helston also winning 4-0 at Newton Abbotts’s Coach Road in a ‘Home’ fixture against Saltash United, the tie is another must-win for Falmouth, who still trail Helston by 3 points, with the same games played and an inferior goal difference.  A further away tie then follows with a trip to Oldland Abbotonians on Saturday.


Clevedon Town: 1. James Dunn, 2. Brad Probert, 3. Syd Camper (c), 4. Callum Kingdon, 5. Glen Hayer, 6. Caleb Selway, 7. Henry Westlake, 8. Joe Teall, 9. Harlee Vozza, 10. Alex Camm, 11. Freddie King. Subs: 12. Sol Kent,14. Elliot Nicholson, 15. Owen Punselie, 16. Sam Beresford, 17. Kieran Ireland.

Falmouth Town: 1. Morgan Coxhead, 2. James Swan, 3. Bradley Leivers, 4. Andreas Calleja-Stayne, 5. Tom Annear, 6. James Ward©, 7. Luke Barner, 8. Jack Webber, 9. Rubin Wilson, 10. Oscar Massey, 11. Jared Sims.  Subs: 12. Andrew Elcock, 14. Kian Thomas, 15. Jacob Grange, 16. Max Everall, 17. Luke Brabyn.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...