Cornwall Football Forum

Midweek April & May fixtures and travelling.......

Hi to all,

As pitches get waterlogged and frozen, it is becoming more and more difficult to rearrange these fixtures.

Currently there are almost zero gaps across all the divisions for me to simply put it back in on a Saturday. Therefore, we are already rescheduling matches for midweek in April and also in May !

In particular, Tregony and two teams at Gerrans & St Mawes are a long distance to get to for some Teams. It is also a long way for them to go to get to you.

There are a lot of Cup matches this weekend so I am hoping to have a few new gaps in February, depending on who beats who as we still have teams from Division 2 in the Eveley Cup and teams lower down still having a successful Junior Cup run. I won't mention Lifton doing very well in the Devon County Cup and forever getting drawn at home !

Bear with me, let's see how this Saturday goes (I'm running the line at Torpoint and at Callington Ladies on Sunday !) and I either may or may not be able to satisfy everybody.

Davey 

9 hours ago, Referee said:

Hi to all,

As pitches get waterlogged and frozen, it is becoming more and more difficult to rearrange these fixtures.

Currently there are almost zero gaps across all the divisions for me to simply put it back in on a Saturday. Therefore, we are already rescheduling matches for midweek in April and also in May !

In particular, Tregony and two teams at Gerrans & St Mawes are a long distance to get to for some Teams. It is also a long way for them to go to get to you.

There are a lot of Cup matches this weekend so I am hoping to have a few new gaps in February, depending on who beats who as we still have teams from Division 2 in the Eveley Cup and teams lower down still having a successful Junior Cup run. I won't mention Lifton doing very well in the Devon County Cup and forever getting drawn at home !

Bear with me, let's see how this Saturday goes (I'm running the line at Torpoint and at Callington Ladies on Sunday !) and I either may or may not be able to satisfy everybody.

Davey 

Whilst no doubt a thankless task it begs the question why more games weren't fixtured in August and September? A lot of clubs had more games fixtured in December than those months. Some clubs asking for more games in the early months as they had one game fixtured in a month. 

3 hours ago, VoiceofReason said:

Whilst no doubt a thankless task it begs the question why more games weren't fixtured in August and September? A lot of clubs had more games fixtured in December than those months. Some clubs asking for more games in the early months as they had one game fixtured in a month. 

Many didn’t want to play in August though!

and September had a lot of cup so looks like less games but in fact everyone was playing, just not in league.

12 hours ago, bighairydave said:

Many didn’t want to play in August though!

and September had a lot of cup so looks like less games but in fact everyone was playing, just not in league.

Many? How do you know this? Were ALL clubs given the opportunity to play in what is a drier month?

I know of clubs who emailed to request more fixtures as they had 1 in August and 1 or 2 in September (including cup games). 

Just common sense to get more games in before December/ January where possible as we know how often games fall foul to the weather in those months. 

16 minutes ago, VoiceofReason said:

Many? How do you know this? Were ALL clubs given the opportunity to play in what is a drier month?

I know of clubs who emailed to request more fixtures as they had 1 in August and 1 or 2 in September (including cup games). 

Just common sense to get more games in before December/ January where possible as we know how often games fall foul to the weather in those months. 

Yes all were asked when they wanted to start. But there were limited numbers so some couldn’t be fixtured as they had only certain numbers to play.

Have worked with the fixture secretaries at the beginning of the season there were many reasons why games couldn’t be fixtured, including those with two teams having nowhere to play as first teams at home, etc.

12 minutes ago, VoiceofReason said:

Lots.  And we know this because all clubs submit a form giving their earliest home and away start dates.  All teams must be able to start no later than the first Saturday in September.  All have the opportunity to play in August.

We have already discussed early season fixtures, particularly in the cups, for 24-25 season.

On 20/01/2024 at 11:13, Steve Carpenter said:

Lots.  And we know this because all clubs submit a form giving their earliest home and away start dates.  All teams must be able to start no later than the first Saturday in September.  All have the opportunity to play in August.

We have already discussed early season fixtures, particularly in the cups, for 24-25 season.

"We have already discussed early season fixtures, particularly in the cups, for 24-25 season."

That's good to hear. Hopefully there will be more games played in August and September next season.