Cornwall Football Forum

Sat 30th September fixtures

PERCY STEPHENS  CUP.  2-30 pm kick off with extra time and penalties if required
Carharrack v St Just Reserves
Goonhavern Athletic v Probus
Lanner v St Keverne
Mullion Thirds v Lizard Argyle
Perranporth v St Erme
RNAS Culdrose Reserves v Falmouth DC

DIV TWO WEST
Chacewater v Frogpool & Cusgarne
Constantine v St Day Thirds
Illogan RBL Reserves v Stithians
Mawnan Reserves v St Buryan
New Inn Titans v Penzance Reserves
Newlyn Non-Athletico v Redruth United Reserves
Perranwell Reserves v Falmouth United

DIV THREE WEST
Holman SC v St Ives Mariners   … now 2-30 pm k o 

DIV FOUR WEST
Frogpool & Cusgarne Reserves v Troon Reserves
Helston Raiders v Pendeen Rovers Reserves
Lizard Argyle Reserves v Penryn Athletic Reserves
Wendron United Fifths v Constantine Reserves

All 3 pm kick off 

I've had to flick around the topics to find out where to write this. I (and probably others) am still confused.

Percy Stephens (who he?) Cup

Carharrack (Div 2 West) 3, St Just Reserves (Div 3 West) 5

Hard to understand why St J Res aren't doing so much better in their Division than they currently are as by half time it was hard to see which was the team from the lower Division. Whilst  I still don't recognise any of the Carharrack players from last season I can't comment on whether or not they fielded a weakened side; but St J Res certainly matched them. They may have had the game of their lives, of course, as can happen in cup games when you face opposition from a higher Division.

No matter. St Just took the lead in the 3rd minute, a simple direct header from a right wing corner. Carharrack equalised on 11 minutes, a low drive through a crowded box. Then we witnessed an extraordinary act of sportsmanship as, with St J mounting a threatening-looking attack a Carharrack defender went in for a challenge and somehow injured himself, leaving a St J player free and in possession at the edge of the Carharrack box, with green-shirted players in front of goal. Instead of crossing or shooting, the lad turned and played the ball into touch so the injured player could be seen to. I must say, back in the day, I would have played on!

In the 42nd minute it was 2 - 1 to Carharrack, a corner not cleared then knocked back in for a hotly-disputed "offside" goal. A St J player was sin-binned for his objections.

In the 2nd half St J had another early goal (47) for 2 - 2 after hitting the bar but fell behind again (60) when their 'keeper rolled the ball out to a player who wasn't looking! In nipped a forward to take advantage. I thought "here we go" but events proved otherwise. There was an equalising penalty on 65 and Carharrack seemed to wilt a bit. A free-kick was half cleared by Carharrack only for the ball to be knocked goal wards and St J were 4 - 3 up (73). St Just continued to press and tackled like mad and a rebound off a forward as a home defender tried to clear fell to a green shirt who made it 5 - 3! Game over.

Att around 40, good contingent of WAGS with kids from way down West!

At least this week there were one or two people who know me, so that helped!

Perranwell 1 -4 fal utd 

Last of a long run of away games. Perranwell is a tough pitch to play on and against a team who have struggled mainly due to players being needed by the first team quite often. But the players they have in press really well and are organised in midfield by Jim and Matt Rose. I knew this would be a tough game. We started well playing the ball around nicely and got a reward after about 15 mins with a great pass from archie to hayden to get his first of the game. But after that, it was as if a switch had been hit and everyone couldn't play football any longer. All the work we have put in at training went out the window. No movement, laboured passing, long ball, panicking on the ball, it was embarrassing. Perranwell just wanted it more pressed hard, played the pitch well, and we just couldn't touch them they equalised and probably should have been 2-1 by half time. I'm not one for losing my rag with players as I think they are genuinely trying their best. But from what I saw, no one was trying enough for me. So I needed to get my point across at half time. Made a change in midfield for some energy and a voice that really needed. The second half was a lot better, was calmer, played the ball, and controlled larger parts of the game as we trained for. We got a penalty, which hayden slotted away. After that, he gained his second hatrick in two games.. our fourth came from young Charlie Ingall getting his 3rd goal in his first 2 games since getting his chance in the adult team. 
Perranwell never gave up and also had a pen late on which rattled the cross bar, but the lads held on for the 3 points. 
Wasn't happy with the tempo in the first half, but in the second half, we were much better.

Man of match was reece toms. Worked his ass off all game and didn't stop causing problems down the flanks. 

**** of the day was Rhys Stumbles for tripping himself over and face planting the floor, injuring himself in the process. 

First social of the season after, with 20 of us going to Asha for a curry. It was a great night and an opportunity for the young lads to integrate with the squad away from football.

IMG_6199.jpeg

IMG_6171.jpeg

IMG_6170.jpeg

IMG_6181.jpeg

IMG_6207.jpeg

New Inn Titans 2 - 1 Penzance reserves

We welcomed Penzance reserves who sat 3rd in the league this Saturday. 
A well oiled and drilled team, with fitness and great football minds. 

Shaun the gaffer was away this weekend, so it left his trust assistant Mushy in charge. With players still injured and Joshy away in Turkey, and couple others not available, Titans were very short come Friday, signed on a couple players, Friday night and this was a very lucky thing, else Titans would of been left with Bare 11. 

Shaun had a board meeting and discussed his tactics with Mushy, and the Team was picked. 

Titans knew this would be a hard game as previous fixtures were very tight! Penzance play good football and have pace, so Titans knew they’d have to dig deep, especially with big players missing. 

Game kicked off, and Ben Penna returning started in goal. Veteran Catt at right back and another Vet foxy coming in at left back. Boz and Ralph in the middle of defence, Connor, Nico and Robert middle of the park, Mike Philp on the right, and Marky C on the left, JJ up top spear heading the attack. 

Game started off with Titans wanting to dictate the pace, but with Pace up front for PZ and some decent ball players in the middle, it was evenly contested. 

A bit of nice football with the midfield and JJ and normal service resumed with Connor being slotted through on goal, and putting the ball away, 1-0 11th minute. 

Titans tried to control the game, but with the away side having a good football IQ they started to piece together some passages of play. Their striker not having much luck on his own, but a through ball bounced on the D of the box, and Penna and Boz didn’t hear each others shout and the PZ winger ran in to capitalise on the gamble and scored the equalizer. 1-1 27 mins. 

With the breeze New inn tried to push for an advantage, but couldn’t find the net and with the midfield battle ensuing, the half came to an end. 

Half time - Mushy gave a brief talk, and then the boys rallied each other together to keep shape, and take the fight to PZ and battle for 1st and 2nd ball ferociously. 

Second half kicks off… 

Titans shape was much better than the first half, and took control of the tempo, winning and competing for every ball. 
This helped Titans and chances were created, but it also gave, Pz the chance to utililise Kizzy Owen’s pace up top on the counter attack, and this created a couple good chances for them. A one on one save from Penna prevented a goal. And then moments later a cut back, on the byline to the advancing midfielder,  who caught the ball in his stride hit the top of the crossbar. 

This kicked Titans into gear and they started to dictate the battle. Bullying and competing for every ball, the introduction of J Smiths legs created an opening for Connor again, to go through on goal, after a nice through ball, and he composed himself to slot the ball passed the advancing keeper. 2-1 New Inn. 20 mins to go! 

Very competitive last 20 with Penzance looking for the equaliser, but Boz, Pascoe, Catt and foxy stayed strong, and kept them at bay. Nico and Connor and Robert kept the middle shape, and Titans saw out a very hard fought Victory. 

Well reffed by stand in referee Mikey Pascoe. 

Onto Home game vs Mawnan Reserves this Saturday.