Cornwall Football Forum

Tavistock 2 - 2 Mousehole

Tavistock 2 - 2 Mousehole

1-0,  8 mins, Alex Battle // 1-1, 28 mins, Hayden Turner (pen) // 1-2, 44 mins, Hayden Turner // 2-2, 90+6 mins, Daniel Koita

Attendance 304

Boy does it hurt to concede a 97th minute equaliser but probably the result the game deserved. Tavistock were the better team during the first and last half hours of the game with Mousehole’s best spell being the 15-20 minutes up to half-time. And even wearing my green-tinted specs our penalty was … well, let’s call it marginal.

Hopefully we’ll have learned from today. A goal up and with the slope in our favour we were still doing all of the running during the bulk of the second half and then during the last 10 minutes of normal time and the 10 minutes of added time we simply looked knackered whilst Tavistock had kept something in the tank. We got used to running teams into the ground over 70 or 80 minutes last season in the TWL then picking them off at the end when they were on the ropes. We need not to allow the same to happen to us now we‘re playing at a higher level. 

Felt we definitely deserved something from the game, despite your possession I think the Mousehole keeper had more to do (aware there was no recognized striker in your lineup)

For me, don’t think it was a penalty and the ref was conned. Don’t think the ref helped the flow of the game, very whistle happy. 

A much more encouraging performance today, hopefully the start of our season. Big credit to everyone out there today.

Draw probably a fair result, although obviously the very late goal will have upset the Mousehole camp. When they went 2-1 up just before half-time, after trailing early on, I expected them to push the advantage home in the second half and get a third, but without a recognised central striker, for me they never really got enough players into the Tavy penalty area.

Let's hope the Jack Calver injury which required him to be subbed isn't too serious, although he was fair hobbling across the pitch come full-time.

Regarding the penalty - I was standing down towards the other end of the pitch, but at the time the Tavy dug-out didn't contest it much. The tackle was one of those that perhaps the next match you'll see not given as a foul!

In the ref's favour, I thought there were times when he did play the advantage instead of blowing. To spin the above thought around, perhaps if the players didn't go down so easily, the refs wouldn't need to be quite so whistle-happy! Something to debate perhaps!  

Looks like a home fan, an away fan and a neutral are all pretty much in agreement - a fair result including a penalty that probably wasn’t.

Not heard anything further about Jack Calver’s injury but he’s as tough as old boots so hopefully he’ll be back quickly - not a coincidence that the balance of the game shifted in Tavistock’s favour when he went off. 

42 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Looking on from outside. A good boost for Tavi after a tough start,shows that they can compete with the best teams. For Mousehole, 2 draws in 3 days is possibly not a bad thing after the flying start they've had. Reminds them of how tough a league this is.

We’d have taken a point before the game, especially after the start we’ve had.

Even if we hadn’t of scored late on we’d have felt hard done by but certainly far more encouraged by such a disciplined performance. 

As for Mousehole, certainly a good start to the season. I assume with the way they can attract ex academy players from pro clubs, their current squad and by the way the club is run they’ll certainly be looking for promotion as a very realistic possibility?