Cornwall Football Forum

League prediction SWPL 23/24

Rappo and Deacs cards close to their chest this year 😉 

How many go up? 
Talk of 3 going down? First time relegation in play for many years in the west! 

1. Liskeard
2. Wendron 
3. St Austell 
4. Wadebridge 
5. Newquay 
6. Bude 
7. Callington 
8. Bodmin 
9. Dobwalls
10. Penzance 
11. Truro Reserves
12. Holsworthy 
13. Launceston 
14. Mullion
15. Camelford
16. Sticker 
17. St Dennis

1. Liskeard - Jennings to be league top scorer. Have to win it unless there's a melt down.
2. Wendron - I'd like Mike and Co to win it as they're everyone's 2nd favourites but don't have the likes of Jennings & Gilbert.
3. St Austell - lots of fire power now but will the SWPL legend old boys stay fit?
4. Bude - Hopcroft and Tornado will score loads.
5. Wadebridge - Jaffa to be one of the top scorers but have lost a few faces to Step 5.
6. Newquay - good side but have they recruited enough to replace those that have moved to Poltair?
7. Callington - Southy has enough there to not struggle in this league IMO.
8. Bodmin - Waltzy will bag 20. Question marks over their quality vs reported budget IMO.
9. Dobwalls - dogged
10. Truro Reserves - Harrison to score 20 but will miss Coxhead, Newton and Grange. Well coached & typically St Piran Prem sides haven't struggled with the step up.
11.  Penzance - Massey's goals to climb them a little higher
12. Launceston - more know how this year so above the strugglers.
13. Holsworthy - no idea about Holsworthy if I'm honest.
14. Mullion - no idea about Mullion either.
15. Camelford - watched them in a PSF and not great. Lost a few players recently?
16. Sticker - watched them in PSF too and looks ominous. 
17. St Dennis - be nice to change recent finishes & if they can pick up Ws vs the other strugglers could see them climbing 14th-16th.

2 hours ago, Chunkycheese said:

How many go up? 
Talk of 3 going down?

1 up from both the East and West Divisions.

3 eligible for relegation but very unlikely to happen.

"At the end of the Regular Season the Clubs in the bottom three positions of each of the seventeen Step 6 divisions will be liable to relegation. The final number of Clubs to be relegated will be confirmed once promotion candidates from Feeder Leagues and any vacancies are known. If reprieves are required the Clubs third from bottom will be ranked on a points per match basis (then goal difference, then goals scored if required) – the Club(s) with the best points per match will be reprieved."

If Darren Gilbert is the legend many claim him to be - and his *earlier* managerial career was impressive - then the most complete all round team (Liskeard Athletic) has to win this now much diminished  SWPL West. Anything less is a failure in my view. Great side to watch. Quality in every area of the pitch and a manager who has done it all before (in a more competitive environment).

A digital scoreboard may be needed  for home games against the lesser sides! DJ and Mike Smith will be racking up the goals for the Blues. 

On 08/08/2023 at 15:19, Foul Throw 3 said:

1. Liskeard - Jennings to be league top scorer. Have to win it unless there's a melt down.
2. Wendron - I'd like Mike and Co to win it as they're everyone's 2nd favourites but don't have the likes of Jennings & Gilbert.
3. St Austell - lots of fire power now but will the SWPL legend old boys stay fit?
4. Bude - Hopcroft and Tornado will score loads.
5. Wadebridge - Jaffa to be one of the top scorers but have lost a few faces to Step 5.
6. Newquay - good side but have they recruited enough to replace those that have moved to Poltair?
7. Callington - Southy has enough there to not struggle in this league IMO.
8. Bodmin - Waltzy will bag 20. Question marks over their quality vs reported budget IMO.
9. Dobwalls - dogged
10. Truro Reserves - Harrison to score 20 but will miss Coxhead, Newton and Grange. Well coached & typically St Piran Prem sides haven't struggled with the step up.
11.  Penzance - Massey's goals to climb them a little higher
12. Launceston - more know how this year so above the strugglers.
13. Holsworthy - no idea about Holsworthy if I'm honest.
14. Mullion - no idea about Mullion either.
15. Camelford - watched them in a PSF and not great. Lost a few players recently?
16. Sticker - watched them in PSF too and looks ominous. 
17. St Dennis - be nice to change recent finishes & if they can pick up Ws vs the other strugglers could see them climbing 14th-16th.

I would hope Lanson could show this level of improvement (or even a little better). Good top half placing for Cally would be nice too. Fairly decent shout Foul Throw. Think Newquay may be higher than Bude or W/bridge. Holsworthy have struggled in the East for some years and another season of struggle likely.

I hope you are right about the Waltz - one of my favourite local players. Think he’ll prove to be a shrewd signing by Dane Bunney. 

1 hour ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

If Darren Gilbert is the legend many claim him to be - and his *earlier* managerial career was impressive - then the most complete all round team (Liskeard Athletic) has to win this now much diminished  SWPL West. Anything less is a failure in my view. Great side to watch. Quality in every area of the pitch and a manager who has done it all before (in a more competitive environment).

A digital scoreboard may be needed  for home games against the lesser sides! DJ and Mike Smith will be racking up the goals for the Blues. 

I would hope Lanson could show this level of improvement (or even a little better). Good top half placing for Cally would be nice too. Fairly decent shout Foul Throw. Think Newquay may be higher than Bude or W/bridge. Holsworthy have struggled in the East for some years and another season of struggle likely.

I hope you are right about the Waltz - one of my favourite local players. Think he’ll prove to be a shrewd signing by Dane Bunney. 

Cammman 😎💥cheers both sides 

5 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Completely agree. This Liskeard side doesn’t have any weakness besides maybe temperament. In Max Gilbert. They have in my opinion the most complete player in the league without a doubt. Also the likes of Mike smith. Dj. There’s plenty of goals. I do still think Lorenz was a massive loss. But when you go through the squad there’s no outright weakness. I believe even with all the money Snozzle are throwing around. They’ve not got legs. And Newquay have a strong core but to me Liskeard midfield is without doubt the best around. Kane ( big. Strong. Horrible) Gilbert ( got everything) Jeffery ( young but on his day untouchable) woods (technically one of the best footballers I’ve seen) 

so just in the middle of the park those players would get into any other team in the league. 
that’s without borthwick a top top keeper. 
peel a animal 
bell top drawer player

mullis for a young lad plays levels above where he should be. 
collins great player. 
so basically Liskeard to win it & I agree if Gilbert doesn’t win it I think it’ll show he’s been lucky. Or a fraud. 
anyway waltz absolute legend. Proper character which you don’t get these days. 
caaaammmaaaannn! 

100% right Plympep. Your reasoning absolutely aligns with mine! Love the descriptions of individual players too. Players that have come in are broadly on par up front with those who have left, even if I think fit and on form, there was no better all round forward than Lorenz in the SWPL West.

Sadly changed personal circumstances mean I’ll not see many Liskeard games or be involved with the club.  I will have to spend in the coming months more time out of Cornwall and need to get away from games quickly, so most likely to be at Truro ‘home’ games and some aways up the M5, or going local via Tavi or Cally mainly.

Of course, as honoury President of the Waltz fan club - new members always welcome - I’ll have to take in some Bodmin games this season. As you say, a local football legend. Caaammaaam Waltz get those onion bags throughout Cornwall rustling!  

Some big names but slow legs in that Snozzle squad?! It smacks of an attempt at a quick fix to try and get promoted. Think the physio will be in for a busy ten months! I make an exception for Slates as he still has lots to offer and a joy to watch.

1 hour ago, Buggzy said:

liskeards squad have to be in with a real shout again to win it. on there day the best full backs in the league, then 2 of the best midfielders in woods & gilbert then goals galore with jennings, got key players returning this week from suspension in thorp, jeffery & westlake so the squads looking very strong.

Certainly favourites. I think bell strengthens coming back in, 

agreed with the question mark over temperament- St Austellz serial winners may have the edge there 

Wendron still remain a dark horse. 

3 hours ago, Chunkycheese said:

Certainly favourites. I think bell strengthens coming back in, 

agreed with the question mark over temperament- St Austellz serial winners may have the edge there 

Wendron still remain a dark horse. 

100% Wendron aren’t really dark horses as they’ve finished 2nd & I think 3rd in the last 2 season & they are always under estimated they will 100% be in the mix I just think Liskeard with there squad & youth & Snozzle with therecknow how will pop Wendron 

Fortunate to be a little late to the party and have a few results to go off...

1. Wendron United - referenced above; not a dark horse as they're always in and around it. Just think it could be their time to get over the line.
  2. Liskeard AFC - undoubted quality throughout; if anyone finishes above them this season they'll win it.
  3. St Austell - some really strong signings and a nudge towards experience that have been there and done it. Plenty of goals in the side.
  4. Wadebridge Town - don't think we'll see a bad side put together by Rower. Still think there'll be another new face in the door.
  5. Newquay AFC - a few out of the door but think they will be competitive again this season.
  6. Bude Town - they certainly have the backing, can they replace Piper? How will discipline effect them?
  7. Callington Town - good group of local lads that want to play together which goes a long way towards success.
  8. Launceston AFC - Neil is continually improving the side. If Watkins can play regularly with another piece of experience to be added I think they could be a shock team.
  9. Bodmin Town - huge turnover of players. Waltz will score plenty, losing Rutter (apparently) shows that there may be more turnover to come.
  10. Holsworthy AFC - an unknown in the West from the past few seasons but were always effective in the East.
  11. Penzance AFC - Massey will get plenty; as mentioned on the podcast, how long can they keep him? Falmouth looking for a striker?
  12. Camelford AFC - production line is there but very much a line out of the door.
  13. Dobwalls AFC - Eke a big loss for them, lots signed on but many dual registered elsewhere.
  14. Truro Reserves - some top youngsters have moved on, expecting an up and down season.
  15. Mullion - I've not seen too much of them but after a promising start last season things have been very much up and down.
  16. Sticker AFC - watched them pre-season but thought they could struggle. With Chapman moving on, that doesn't help.
  17. St Dennis - another tough year; perfect catchment area. Even if they were to pull players from lower Leagues, I'm not sure there would be the improvement.