Cornwall Football Forum

FRANCE 1 ENGLAND 0

France 1 England 0

England 6/10

David James (6) great Anelka dive to change direction to hit James with the ball going out of play otherwise James did ok.

Wes Brown (6) did alright made only one mistake but worked well with Beckham

Ashley Cole (6) improved in the second half but wasn’t in it first half

Owen Hargreaves (9) outstanding especially when Gerrard went off. The lad can do anything.

Rio Ferdinand © (6) Played well in an average defecne but he can’t keep having to look after Terry, he had no confidence in Terry beside him

John Terry (5) poor, his sulking does him no favours

David Beckham (7) I was going to give him 6 until the substitutes showed that he is still class.

Gareth Barry (8) worked very hard for the team especially in the second half

Wayne Rooney (6) he is not a centre forward so was unable to shine

Steven Gerarrd (5) just not up to it looks like he needs a rest

Joe Cole (6) didn’t work well with Ashley Cole in the first half. The French knew he was the danger man so double marked him

Subs

Glen Johnson (6) not as good as brown but did ok, unfortunately he had Bentley in front of him

Joleon Lescott (6) I would sooner see him at left back but did ok

David Bentley (4) the lad just hasn’t got it, spent most of the time passing the ball backwards and nearly all his crosses were easily cut out

Michael Owen (4) Michael who? I don’t know if he will ever get it back but did not have a clue with Crouch.

Peter Crouch (7) the lad has far greater skill and ability than people give him credit for, his knock downs are great, unfortunately nobody could read his game

Stewart Downing (4) whoever said he was an international. He spent most of the time cutting inside or passing back but couldn’t cross the ball for toffees.

Not a good performance by England. Capello has a major job on his hands. I think playing an international a few days after all four of England’s top clubs played each other on Sunday was perhaps not a good idea. But there again so did many of the French who play in England

The players that did surprise me were Gerrard and Terry who did not play well. Hargreaves was outstanding and Berry put in a good performance. I don’t think Capello can afford to dispense with Beckham just yet although Bentley and Downing could well have played their last games.

What must have annoyed Capello more than anything was bringing on wide players like Bentley and Downing to do a job by getting good crosses in and they totally ignored him.

Capello must now realise that there is a dearth of talent in this country although I would liked to have seen Walcott on and push Beckham inside him. Lescott would do well at left back. It’s the same at centre back. Terry has gone off the boil of late and doesn’t earn his place. Gerrard is doing to much at Liverpool and should leave the club if he wants to further his international career. Michael Owen has been given his chance and quite frankly he either hasn’t got it now or he needs at least another dozen games at Newcastle to regain his sharpness. I felt sorry for Wayne Rooney as he needs to be able to operate as a lone ranger behind the front two. Crouch is a quality player but he doesn’t have anyone who can read his game. Joe Cole deserves his place but Ashley Cole needs to forget his off field activities and concentrate on his football.

Wes Brown did ok and is holding the position well until Gary Neville returns. David James was unfortunate to give away the penalty as Anelka knew he could con the referee having won a foul against Brown when he was a foot or more away and just dived. Anelka earned his penalty - because why did he push the ball wide of James and then run at him. He should have been booked for his cheek.

Guest gunners

YOU SAY ROONEY IS NOT A CENTRE FORWARD, DONT AGREE WITH YOU. LAST NIGHT HE PLAYED IN THIS SAME POSITION AS HE DOES AT UTD.

I THOUGHT THE MAIN PROBLEM WAS WE DID NOT GET ENOUGHT BALL IN THERE LAST THIRD TO CAUSE ANY DAMAGE. ON WATCHING THE GAME U COULD SEE THEY DID NOT WANT TO PUSH TO FAR FORWARD.

AS FOR DOWNNING AND BENTLEY U SLATE THEM BUT HOW CAN THEY CROSS THE BALL WITH NO PLAYERS IN THE BOX WHATS THE POINT IN THAT. THERE WAS MORE TO THAT GAME THAN U THINK. I THINK THIS COULD BE THE WAY ENGLAND MAY START PLAYING, LEARNING TO BUILD UP SLOWLY DONT RUSH THE PLAY ATTACK TO BE MORE AFFECTIVE AROUND THE LAST THIRD IT WILL TAKE A FEW GAMES. BE PATIENT/

"Gerrard is doing to much at Liverpool and should leave the club if he wants to further his international career"

ha ha ha ha ha ha, brilliant!!

and how does he further his international career? how will leaving Liverpool make him do that?

Gerrard is one of only 4 possible world class players we have. We've proved we're rubbish with one up front, Owen is the only man who can score for England on a regular basis. 4-4-2 its not hard

As its a friendly I read absolute nothing into it whatsoever, cos the players have far more important games at club level

It wouldn't matter if Capello was a reincarnate of King bloody Midas. It is not possible to turn shit into gold. When we English realise that we are not as good as we think we are and also realise that we have NO truly world class players, we may be able to actually progress as a sporting nation. Our so called superstars are made to look good by the foreign players they play alongside each week, when just the English players are chucked together as a bunch, they are no better than ordinary.

I thought we were the better side in the 1st half but when they scored they upped their game and moved the ball about brillianty and we were chasing shadows.

Beckham did ok but we played down the left far to much and after about 30 mins he only moved 10 yards either side of the half way line while wes brown was expected to make 60-70 yard runs to get beyond him and then the same to get back. When they both came off brown looked like he needed a crash team to get him going again. Bentley looked like he struggled with the step up in class from switzerland to France but he still seems like the best option to replace Beckham.

Rooney huffed and puffed but needed the midfield to be 10-15 yards further forward to help him out and give him support as he has at United.

Gerrard once again failed to give the world class performance he gives in a liverpool shirt but it can only be a matter of time before he gets his game going and starts working in tandem with Roooney as we don't have another option as Owen proved when he came on, he just not look interested anymore and his work rate is diabolical.

I thought both the Coles were poor and Ashley Cole is lucky there is not a serious contender for his place as he got caught time and time again.

Hargreaves was far and away our best player, he chased, tackled and broke down anything that came through the middle and then gave the easy ball to the so called more technical players.

and then we move on to Crouch who fell over a bit and then tried to control the ball with his right foot and it bounced off his left foot and went out for a throw (at that point i nearly turned it over) and then he got the ball and tried to run at the defence trod on the ball and you could see he just had no clue on what to do next and Thuram took the ball off him like he was taking sweets off a 3 month old baby (and i thought is this what this once great footballing nation has been reduced to a F*****G circus act) he has no business being in an England shirt and would only get in our squad at Mawgan to get the ball down from the trees.

in my humble opinion of course

Mac

I'm afraid having had the luxury of re watching the game on tape I can assure you there were plenty of players in the box waiting for crosses, unfortunately crossing blind is no excuse and shows a lack of ability to put the ball into the right places.

As far as Gerrard is concerned he cannot be the complete workhorse for an average Liverpool side and then expect to perform at international level. he may well be one of our few quality players but he has to prove he can cut it at international level, at the moment he does not. That does not say that he cannot in the future.

I'm afraid being an avid Man U fan Rooney does not play as an out and out centre forward for them, only when they have injuries up front his best position is in behind the front two or as part of a front two. I hope the last comment about players having more important things on their minds than an international friendly does not reach the ears of Capello. He may not be English but he wants players to go out there and express themselves unfortunately the likes of Owen, Downing and Bentley blew it big time.

Capello has a lot of thinking to do between now and the next match and I would not like to be in his shoes. Wright-Phillips, Lennon, Walcott and the like will get their chance again. It might also be an idea to make Hargreaves the captain. he does not stroll aorund the park he leads by example. The other problem is in the back four as to who will match up with Ferdinand. Terry has either reached his peak or is not fully fit. In any case he is a major worry.

We shall see. But I still think the future is bright for England but he needs more matches

Guest Luffy

PAINT DRYING!!!! would have been more exciting to watch than the game last night. Ok we did pass the ball around better than we normally do but then we did not actually have a shot on target.

In regards to players, I am a great fan of JT, however, I am not sure if he is 100% fit because he has not been convincing even for the blues of late. Ferdinand is Ok but I still do not think he is the best defender in the world and has concentration problems.

Ashley Cole is not a great defender, although he does get forward well, unfortunately his crossing can be poor.

I would also like the team to play two up front the team looks toothless with only one, Rooney would benefit from a partner, however, I am not sure who should be up there with him, Owen looks out of sorts and lacks the pace he once had due to his injuries. Crouch normally plays well for England but he looked short on confidence and match fitness. The player who needs to leave Liverpool for his international future is Crouch, he needs to find a team in which he will start regularly, I do not think he will get this at Liverpool.

England need to play at a tempo, it is pointless trying to play continental football when to be honest we are not the most technically talented players. Gerrard seems to be unable to give the displays he does for Liverpool this could be down to the instructions he is receiving or more likely the pace and which the team plays at, because he is unable to burst into the box.

I hope some of the fringe players do get a chance, but I am worried that Capello will set England up too defensive which will not suit the English players.

The problem with friendlies is that you do not know how much effort the players are actually putting into it.

To see if the lions have made any improvement we will have to wait until September.

Why should Gerrard leave Liverpool to furthur his international career? Where would he go? Liverpool are a top European and world outfit and the Premier League is by far the best league in the world? Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd are the only clubs he could join and call it a good career move but i cant see that happening can you?

He could move to Madrid, Barca or Italy but that wouldnt improve his international game as La Liga and Serie A simply are not up there with the Premiership.

Also saying Bentley (a consistently impressive performer for Blackburn in the Premiership) as not up to international football strikes me as very naive and uninformed, especially as he looked Englands best thing against the Swiss!

Not a great performance from England sure, but we do have some class players and now finally a world-class manager. English football can only get better after the dreadful time it had with McClaren at the helm so lets stop panicking shall we, and start looking forward to the real internationals instead of the warm-up friendlys! :)

I don't think anyone is panicking as Capello has to look at all the alternatives and formations. Don't forget Bentley and Downing can turn it on in the premier division but looked out of their depth against France. Its no use looking good against the Swiss who to be honest are not a very good side. Although not a fan of Lampard for England he must come into the reckoning somewhere. The same goes for Carrick and Carragher, Wayne Bridge, Matthew Upson, Jermaine Jenus, Jermain Defoe, Theo Walcott and Jonathon Woodgate.

Capello has three more matches where he can tinker with his squad. They play the United States at Wembley on 28th May and in Trinidad & Tobago on 1st June. Next up is a visit to Andorra on 6th September for a World Cup qualifier followed four days later with the important visit to Croatia.

Capello was right when he says England play with fear. He is giving them the opportunity to attack with flair and either they can’t do it or they don't have the ability of mind to do it.

Some people say England can’t play the continental patient way. For those of you who can remember when England won the 1966 world cup under Sir Alf Ramsey that is exactly what they did do. England played totally alien to what was being played in the old division one.

I don't buy this 'its only a friendly'. When you pull on an England shirt even if it is for tiddlywinks then you give it your best shot. If a player does not then out he goes no matter who he is. Don't forget this is a new manager and players should be busting a gut to show they should be in the team.

It can be done - So no panic - just yet.

I agree with ECPL England do play with fear as players that are awesome in the Premier League week-in, week-out seem to go into their shells when they play for their country. However I do believe Capello is the right man for the job, he is trying to get us to play football and play the international way.

I also agree that there is no such thing as a friendly, I don't try any less when I play in a friendly or even when I have a kick about with my mates, nor do professionals. Although as it's a friendly the result does not concern me as it's only the competitive matches that matter and I'm sure Capello will have a system and side sorted by the time we play our first qualifier.

People are too easy to critisize the national side without really thinking about what they are saying. Hargreaves is the best holding midfield player in the world and we have several other world class players. France are considered one of the favourites for the Euro's and didn't create a chance in open play against us. Some bloke phoned in a Setenta Sports phone in after the game only to say that only about 5 or 6 of our side would get in the French team... hang on, that therefore means we're as good as them! Even though Terry is off form I'd still pick him over Gallas, and Makelelle or Hargreaves, no contest? For the record I'd still have Beckham in my side, there isn't a player in the world that can deliver a ball as well as him, who would the opposition rather play against?... Downing, Bentley, Wright-Phillips, Beckham? Beckham is the only player they would fear as he still is quality, and can still do a job for his country.

I think we need to give Capello more time before we fully judge him.

I certainly dont think France are a better side then England, player for player. I dont go along with the opinion that England's players arent good enough, thats rubbish, they perform week in, week out in the best league in the world. I think a suitable system of play hasnt yet been found for England, but when it does we will be world beaters! :thumbsup:

As a Scotsman :SM_carton: No not going to do the normal cross border bo?***ks, I watch England with interest, and as long as they are not playing against the Scots, want them to win.... dad hope you're not seeing this! I would say all the England players are class at club level, but within their clubs they are the minority. When you put all those players together into one side it does not seem to work. I agree that the right formation has not been found, however do feel picking a formation to fit the players you have is the wrong way to do it... surely you pick a squad to fit the formation/manner you want to play is the way ahead.???

Take my national team.... less of the laughter, I, as we all know, realise we are not blessed with the most talented players, however when they come together as a national side they don't try and do anything that they are not capable of doing. Everything is direct, not fancy... quite ugly, hard tackling and 100% effort. As long as they do that us scots expect nothing else from them! Croatia ???

Just to add thought England sat back to much, they can't do it, the Italians can, England no. If its not part of your natural game don't do it. Pace was lacking. A.Coles best passes were to the opposition, the mid-field might as well played as a back four!

Just a simple scots piont of view, abut a footy fan at heart.

ecpl you said about bentley, saying the lad just hasn't got it,

what a load of rubbish. you have seen him play what once or twice,

the boy is the best thing since sliced bread, on saturday blackburn beat wigan 3-1

or should i say bentley beat wigan 3-1. masterclass.

for the last ten years people have been saying "bend it like beckham"

for the next ten years they will be saying "bend it like bentley"

mark my words.

over and out

barry 8/10 what game were u watching?

beckham 7/10? 6 out of 10 for barry 8 out of ten for beckham he was theonly one who looked interested worked his ass off i dint c barry do much of that

ronney is a cf but not a lone man striker and as for crouch yes he may have the greatest touch but what else does he do apart from bring it down lay ir off and score 1 header out of 6 opportunities.

your right about bentley, id rather of seen walcott come on instead of him

he was a waste of space

For the record I'd still have Beckham in my side, there isn't a player in the world that can deliver a ball as well as him, who would the opposition rather play against?... Downing, Bentley, Wright-Phillips, Beckham? Beckham is the only player they would fear as he still is quality, and can still do a job for his country.

Just put him (Beckham) back in the middle to feed the likes of Rooney or Owen (hopefully Defoe will soon have him out though). This would totally solve the "Lampard and Gerrard cant play together" problem, Bentley IS good enough to make the step up, his passing and crossing are on a par with what golden balls was doing at 22 years old. Beck's could spread his passes anywhere he wants from the middle of the park BUT my personal opinion is that he should be slowly phased out of the international picture now.

waste of space whats your problem mate heh

bend it like bentley!!!!!!!!!!!

my problem is that alot of people forget about what becks has done and cause one cocky youngster comes along thinking he canf ill becks boots when he hasnt competed in a competetive competion yet and when he can save us from being knocked out of a competion like becks did against greece for the 2002 world cup i will never rate and will think u obviously no nothing

+ alot disregard becks cause hes 32 and and plays in a shit league btu hes still got the effort and passion some havent like lamps or bentley when he came on

seriously what did he do mate?

Guest gunners

DEAR MARKC

I FEEL U R GETTING TO EMOTIONALLY INVOLVED WITH THIS BECKAM STORY COME ON LAD LET IT REST FOR YOUR SAKE. TIME TO LET GO OF BECKHAM IN THE FIRST ELEVEN BUT WE CAN KEEP IN IN THE SQUAD IF YOU LIKE TO SAVE YOU GETTING UPSET.

I think anyone who regards David Bentley as a "waste of space" obviously hasn't been watching much Premiership football for the last two seasons! In my opinion the biggest waste of space in the England squad is Wes Brown and has been for five or six years. That is unless, Capello calls in Kieron Richardson of course!

Beckhams still got a few years left in him yet but Bentley is the future. :)

Guest jumpersforgoalposts

sickens me to say as a red...but id have rooney's name first on any team sheet! although he may not score the goals, everything goes through him whether its on the domestic or international front players seem to react to him! Also he is the only player in the world you can put in any position on the field and he will do you a decent job! shame the rest of the team dont seem to have the schoolyard passion and desire to win that he has!

bentley aint the future when theres others out there

what did he do when he came on???

im not gonna argue with u over this im voicing my opinion on a topic and you have voiced yours im not debating it

its not time to let go of beckham

france didnt do it to zidane.

the bloke works harder than anyone else on the pitch bar rooney and you telling me to im too emotionally invloved really doesnt phase me,

when bentley does somethign for england worthy of him replacing beckham then reply untill then you havent got anything relevant to say to me have you really???

no thought not

im not gonna argue with u over this im voicing my opinion on a topic and you have voiced yours im not debating it

the bloke works harder than anyone else on the pitch bar rooney and you telling me to im too emotionally invloved really doesnt phase me,

when bentley does somethign for england worthy of him replacing beckham then reply untill then you havent got anything relevant to say to me have you really???

no thought not

You need to take off those blinkers Mark C.. I seem to remember when sir David of Beckinghamshire was around the age that Bentley is now, he was being sent off in a major world cup game against Argentina for a childish and petulant kick and costing his country their best chance of silverware for years. Bentley has no chance of doing anything for England that suggests he could/should be the replacement for Beckham if people such as yourself are unwilling to move on from the tired and boring circus that is David Beckham.

Unfortunately that was a referee just filling in his trophy cabinet of star player cautions. Likewise when Beckham got cautioned against France. Its something referees will cherish for the rest of their lives.

Unfortunately that was a referee just filling in his trophy cabinet of star player cautions. Likewise when Beckham got cautioned against France. Its something referees will cherish for the rest of their lives.

That sending off against Argentina was not just a matter of a ref getting "THE big name" in his book and off the field. Whether the Argentinian made a meal of it or not, Beckham DID kick out whilst on the floor and no matter how much/little contact was made, the intent was there and he had to walk.

Bentley really is a class act and will prove it when people bloody well give him the chance and leave Beckham in the past where he belongs.

no thought not

You need to take off those blinkers Mark C.. I seem to remember when sir David of Beckinghamshire was around the age that Bentley is now, he was being sent off in a major world cup game against Argentina for a childish and petulant kick and costing his country their best chance of silverware for years. Bentley has no chance of doing anything for England that suggests he could/should be the replacement for Beckham if people such as yourself are unwilling to move on from the tired and boring circus that is David Beckham.

sorry i didnt realise coopsie ur god and your word goes beckham didnt cost us it the team did as usual stop living in the past and blamin him for whats apend dickhead

mark c your a muppet, if bentley isnt the future who is, wright phillips, pennant, ashley young. lol

bushy ur a joke mate ashley young is better han bentley

whack walcott on the right and hed b better than bentley

knobhead

Harsh words Mark C, we all disagree with one another at some point on this forum but name calling is un-called for. :SM_carton_y:

As for the Beckham - Bentley issue, im sure Beckham has still abit to offer England but come on, Ashley Young and Walcott (as good as they are) are not yet performing well and as consistently as Bentley in the Premier League. He may well be cocky but his talent speaks for itself.

Lets not be in such a hurry to get rid of Becks, but lets not write Bentley off just yet!

Guest Sport Lover

I think you have to pick Beckham if you think he can contribute in the euro qualifiers and then in the championships itself. If he cant then dont pick him. He doesnt have the pace to go past people but then again I dont think he ever did. What we need is players than can but also cross the ball. Surely England has someone who earns more than 50,000 grand a week can run past defenders and then whip in a good ball? If we dont then thats pretty poor but then we should be thinking about other tatics. Like Arsenal they work the ball in until they get a shooting chance. I know sometimes they over play it but imagine England playing like Arsenal!!

Come on you hoops wot a come back yesterday!!!!

no thought not

sorry i didnt realise coopsie ur god and your word goes beckham didnt cost us it the team did as usual stop living in the past and blamin him for whats apend dickhead

mark c your a muppet, if bentley isnt the future who is, wright phillips, pennant, ashley young. lol

bushy ur a joke mate ashley young is better han bentley

whack walcott on the right and hed b better than bentley

knobhead

How old are you Mike C?. Did you learn those names in the playground before you broke up for your easter holiday?. I must admit that I've been struggling to sleep since reading your insult. :unsure:

Tell me, did you see how shite Bentley was against Spurs at the weekend?. STAR MAN and pretty much a class above everybody on the pitch. Just think, if he could beat a man with consumate ease and cross a ball to set up a simple tap in, he may be worthy of cleaning Beckhams boots??. Oh wait a minute, he did do that and he does do that every week in the best league in the world.