Cornwall Football Forum

can they go down?

Stig - I don't think that is correct. Depending on what happens with Portreath's possible move to the Combo (ie finishing in top 3), theoretically, there will be one space to fill if they do go, and therefore the team finishing in 2nd bottom would find themselves relegated, leaving two spaces to be filled by the top 2 from Div 2.

Irrespective of whether other leagues throughout the country have done this, firstly, this is Cornwall and we do things differently :D and secondly, any change to the Mining League rules needs to be ratified by the member clubs.

It would be nice for the league to clarify the situation especially as at this moment in time we (holmans) are the prime candidates for relegation from Div 1

All that needs to be answered is if Portreath go up how many teams are relegated from div 1 and how many are promoted from Div 2

hi ya pitty . there seem to be a few scenarios here usually two are relegated from mining one and two promoted from mining two . if portreath do get combo and a team from the combo replaces them in mining one i think the two up two down will remain as it is . if porteath get combo and no one comes down then surely it would be two up from mining two and only one relegated . i dont know about the goonhavern relegation thing but surely if they finish bottom they have to be relegated . how could they relegate one or two teams above them and not them . all very interesting though

Guest Luffy

I have spoken to a mining league rep on this because I was interested to find out what happens when this occurs. According to him Goonhavern 2 nd team would drop into Mining 2 and the 3rd team will automatically have to drop into Mining 3.

In regards to promotion and relegation I would assume that Goonhavern would take the place of one of the teams that would be relegated. If not then three teams from mining 3 would be promoted I suppose.

Here's another scenario which hopefully doesn't need consideration BUT Gulval 1st team have an outside chance of relegation from Mining 1, Gulval reserves have an outside chance of promotion from Mining 3. If both achieve what I describe above, would the reserve team be denied promotion to Mining 2 OR would the 1st team be rescued from relegation??.

Hopefully this isn't something I/Gulval need to worry about but I'm just interested if anybody is able to provide a definitive answer??.

Guest Luffy

In regards to Gulval I think you would find that the 1st team would still be relegated and the 2nd team would be denied promotion.

In regards to Portreath going up then I think the extra team will either be filled by the combo team coming down if their is one, and that is if they go into minining league they have a choice, if not then the third place team form div two will be taken up. Obviously the only people who could confirm this is the league themselves.

I think all the scenarios have been covered above. Relegation basically takes priority over promotion AND whether or not a team exists in the league below.

It's interesting though. Let's assume the Goonhavern 2nd division team finished top, they would not be promoted if the Goonhavern 1st division team finished up the table a bit. But if the 1st division team finish in the relegation zone, they go down, and the 2nd division team go down a division too!

I remember a few years back Pendeen were Fal/Hel 1, and got saved from relegation because the top team in division 2 were already represented in division 1. So only 1 went down that year.

If Portreath go up, I guess one (from the combo) would come down, and the relegation would still be 2 down 2 up.

Looking at division 2, none of the promotion chasing teams (St. Buryan, Trispen, New Park Rangers, Mousehole, Four Lanes and Sennen) are already represented in division 1, so I think its 2 down from division 1 this year!!

Guest Vixster

If Portreath go up to Combination (Senior Football) I'm sure the Mining League rules state that it is the CLUB that is promoted not the team therefore Portreath Reserves would fill Portreaths slot in Mining 1.

Guest daveyb

i think the system is silly, playing for goonhavern 3rds it will be a shame iof tehy went donw becasue there 2nds the "better" team gets relgated. Most of the points that goonhavern 2nds have have been gained when the 3rds have had to abort there to play for teh 2nds as thy can't raise a team, and on thses occasion the 3rds (playing as 2nds) have won. the 3rds are the better team believe or not....i think if the goonhavern 2nds get relgagted, they should drop to mining 3, or at least tehn let the 3rds play in mining 2 and becomes the 2nds as they are th better team of the two. lets be hinest, goonhavern 2nds are a poor side. if the only points thye can get is when there 3rd team pay for them then they shouldn't be in that league. I wont be there nxt season but if they both get relagetd i would like to see the 3rds takeover as the 2nds. cheers

sory for the spelling mistakes, i was in a rush lol

Here's another scenario which hopefully doesn't need consideration BUT Gulval 1st team have an outside chance of relegation from Mining 1, Gulval reserves have an outside chance of promotion from Mining 3. If both achieve what I describe above, would the reserve team be denied promotion to Mining 2 OR would the 1st team be rescued from relegation??.

Hopefully this isn't something I/Gulval need to worry about but I'm just interested if anybody is able to provide a definitive answer??.

If Gulval reserves have earned promotion they should play in Mining 2. If this means that Gulval 1st team are relegated to Mining 3, then so be it.

I know it probably won't be allowed to happen, given the potential for collusion between the sides, but I say let two sides from the same club play in the league, just imagine the derbies!!!!

i agree with that and i no for a fact there are many 2nd teams that would fancy there chance against there 1st team ie tms res :clapper:

Guest Luffy

The real problem with two teams in the same division is how you would define between first and seconds - especially from the leagues point of view. They would have to come up with a new rule saying that the club would have to let the league know who is playing for the first team and the second team. These players would then have to stay with that particular team for the rest of the season.

Also the main worry would be the possibility of game fixing to win a title or cup. Therefore this would and could never happen it would be too complicated to run and would leave the club vulnurable for being accused of cheating.

Just keep a date clear at the end of the season for the 1st and 2nd teams to meet when the season has finished.

The real problem with two teams in the same division is how you would define between first and seconds - especially from the leagues point of view. They would have to come up with a new rule saying that the club would have to let the league know who is playing for the first team and the second team. These players would then have to stay with that particular team for the rest of the season.

Also the main worry would be the possibility of game fixing to win a title or cup. Therefore this would and could never happen it would be too complicated to run and would leave the club vulnurable for being accused of cheating.

Just keep a date clear at the end of the season for the 1st and 2nd teams to meet when the season has finished.

we do every year now played out a very entertaining 3-3 all draw and the 2nds were 3-2 up going into the 7th minute of extra time :angry2:

I find it very interesting looking at all the scenarios that people have come up with. As far as I'm concerned any teams promoted deserve thier promotion. If two teams end up in the same league would it not be possible for one to swith to the Fal/Hel league as a compromise??

As for teams dropping from Combo they could surely have an effect on this as far as team spaces are concerned.

All I hope is that the whole thing is done fairly and not through who people know or what they have to offer!

(Obviously I'm sure this would never be an issue!)

With so many clubs having multiple teams and just 3 divisions, promotion and relegation is always going to be problematical. The sooner a West Cornwall League with 6 divisions is set up the better. The top half of the Mining 1 and Fal/Hel 1 would form div 1, the bottom half would form div 2 and so on. The relative strength of Fal/Hel vs Mining will sort itself out within a couple of seasons.

This is precisely what is panning out in Peninsula League. i.e. Premier division was 9 from SWL and 8 from Devon League, however no old SWL clubs are in the relegation zone, so likely there will be an additional SWL club (Wadebridge) in the Premier next season.