Cornwall Football Forum

F A Cup

Just what is it with this grand old competition,

First I watch Man Utd pummel Portsmouth for 75 mins, only for Portsmouth to go up the other end and get a penalty at Old Trafford (a feat in itself!!), seal the win and provide the FIRST shock of the day.

I then watch Barnsley outfight, out-guts and at times outplay Chelsea, the holders and one of the strongest teams in the world, to secure a memorable semi final slot.

Who would've ever thought Man Utd or Chelsea would've gone out of the cup today, in fact the gambler in me trembles at what the odds would've been for a Pompey/Barnsley double today.

As a neutral, it's just great to see the recently much maligned old trophy restoring some good old fashioned romance back in today's money-mad football world.

As a neutral, it's just great to see the recently much maligned old trophy restoring some good old fashioned romance back in today's money-mad football world.

Absolutely! :thumbsup: And who said the FA Cup was dead! This is great for the cup and if im right in saying it'l be the first time Arsenal, Utd, Chelsea or Liverpool wont be the winners since 1995 when Everton lifted the Cup. It hasent been won by a club outside of London, Liverpool or Manchester either, since 1987 when Coventry won it! :c:

Just what is it with this grand old competition,

First I watch Man Utd pummel Portsmouth for 75 mins, only for Portsmouth to go up the other end and get a penalty at Old Trafford (a feat in itself!!), seal the win and provide the FIRST shock of the day.

I then watch Barnsley outfight, out-guts and at times outplay Chelsea, the holders and one of the strongest teams in the world, to secure a memorable semi final slot.

Who would've ever thought Man Utd or Chelsea would've gone out of the cup today, in fact the gambler in me trembles at what the odds would've been for a Pompey/Barnsley double today.

couldnt of put i any better myself awsome display from barnsley who desereved there win.......pompey less so :blink: got demolished for the hole game and then went on to some how win the game :yahoo:

good luck to them and hopefully they will go on to the final!!"!!!!

Arrrrrrr ,I say aarrrrrrrr, what are all the Cornish Chelski, Arshole and Man poo fans going to do now the big boys are out the F.A cup?? Maybe they should follow a winning club like Barnsley (who Argyle beat 3-0 a couple weeks ago). After all, theres a few on here who love a it of glory grabbing!! :drink:

Speaking as a Chelsea fan from the 1950s I can only say I am delighted for Barnsley and their supporters. I managed to watch the last 10 minutes and was willing the ref to blow time. It means so much more to the players and supporters of Barnsley to be at a Wembley semi-final than it could ever mean to the Essiens and Ronaldos of this world who just expect success. I derive no joy from Chelsea's bought successes. Promotion from Div 2 in 1963 - what a night! Beating Leeds in the replay final - was that 1970? Such a rare achievement for the Blues back then, and therefore so much more appreciated. So, agreed: today was a truly great day for English football.

Guest Blue_Dude-(^_^)

Arrrrrrr ,I say aarrrrrrrr, what are all the Cornish Chelski, Arshole and Man poo fans going to do now the big boys are out the F.A cup?? Maybe they should follow a winning club like Barnsley (who Argyle beat 3-0 a couple weeks ago). After all, theres a few on here who love a it of glory grabbing!! :drink:

Glory hunter's? pah to em! support your local team!!!!!!!!!

That's why i'm stuck with my shower of sh*te :thumbsup: But i love em!!

Guest Ronin

I've supported Man Utd all my life (I was hatched there some years ago so it's my local team even though I live in Perranporth now:D ) and was gutted that we lost to Pompey today. We definately had the better game and deserved the win (and a penalty for the tackle on Ronaldo) but that's the way the game goes, we lost and that's that. To answer Pauls question all us Man Utd fans will probably concentrate on watching our lads win the Premiership & possible the UEFA Cup too.

However........ BARNSLEY?????!!!!!! What a class outfit! First they beat Liverpool at Anfield and then they've got the cheek to put Chelsea out too! To be honest I thought Barnsley had the best of the game with some real chances and I shouted as loud as anyone when they finally scored. Pech 1961 you have hit the nail on the head - now we can have a good old-fashioned FA Cup with the focus on the teams & the goals not the pound notes going in the till.

Yeah i went a few months ago. S**thole it may be but capital of our country it is. Gotta say it but ive been to Plymouth even more recently and regulary (not to watch footy-on buisness!) and i dont think much of that place either. If im being honest im not really a city person, far too busy for the likes of me!!! :c:

Wonderful day for true supporters of FOOTBALL.

Now that Man Utd and Chelski are out of the FA Cup, is it now going to be classed as "The Mickey Mouse Cup" and will the suporters be saying "we didn't want to go any further because we want to win the league and Champions League?.

Guest Bushranger

This weekends results have certainly been of true fa cup tradition and personally i think its fantastic the top clubs are out ,the sponsors on the other hand which i think is e-on will not be impressed at all if we get a Barnsley v cardiff final but then i think they are a german company so tough shit,seriously though this years final whoever gets there will not have the worldwide appeal as it may have done had at least one of the top clubs made it to the final !!!

Now that Man Utd and Chelski are out of the FA Cup, is it now going to be classed as "The Mickey Mouse Cup" and will the suporters be saying "we didn't want to go anyh further because we want to win the league and Champions League?.

No way, and anyone that calls the FA Cup a 'Mickey Mouse Cup' ought to be slung into the ocean!!! The big boys all have there prioritys (league, europe, etc...) but the FA Cup is important any other competition. As a Gooner i can honestly say im very disappointed that Arsenal are out as (as far as im concerned) there are not many bigger games then a Wembley FA Cup Final. :rolleyes:

Having said that i also think its great for the Cup that a non-big 4 team will win it this season. Im on tour in Torquay FA Cup Final weekend so il be enjoying the game as a nuetral, hope its better then last seasons Final (snore) !!! :c::drink: :smiley20:

Guest jumpersforgoalposts

ive read most of the replies to this thread, and the same question springs to mind everytime.

why is it such a shock that the dirty Mancs lost to Portsmouth? they are a decent premiership side, that on their day are capable of beating anybody! I watched both the "shocks" yesterday and i didnt think either ManUre or Chelsea deserved to win! All it proved to me yesterday is that John Terry should NOT be Either England captain of first choice centre half!

Guest Helston Patriot

When was the last time only ONE top flight team got into the semi finals? If ever??? When was the last time the big for weren't in the semi's??

any answers??

When was the last time only ONE top flight team got into the semi finals? If ever??? When was the last time the big for weren't in the semi's??

any answers??

you should have watched goals on sunday on sky sports 1 mate answered all your questions cant remember the answers though

Guest crosser

the last time a top 4 side did'nt win it was everton in 95, and really the top 4 i.e. man u, liverpool, arsenal & chelsea were'nt really the top back then that circle of 4 has been established since then.

This is a list of all semi finals taken from wikipedia you will have to work it out for when there was only one top flight side in the semi's but i would be very surprised if its happend before

this is a list of all cup finals the last club out of the top flight to win it was the iron's come on you hammers in 81 again the rest you can work out yourself

I watched both the "shocks" yesterday and i didnt think either ManUre or Chelsea deserved to win!

Jumpers......surely you were watching a different game with your reference to the ManUre game. I watched them create chance after chance and carve Portsmouth open on numerous occassions. Granted you have to put the ball in the net but to say they didn't deserve to win confuses me?????? :unsure::unsure: :unsure:

Paul,

Man U & Chelsea, plus Middlesbough may be out of the cup But only people who are idiots like you use the sort of language, that you used in having a go at these clubs,

I believe it is not a bad thing that the big clubs are out of the FA Cup,

I also do not suport any of them,(except the Hammers)

But I also do not use the sort of words that you use to discribe these teams,

Mabe you need to go back to School & learn good English & above all good manners,

This Forum is of course open to debate, But let us show respect to other members,

Come back when you have been re-educated, until then I have blown the whistle on you :SM_carton:

Hammers :angry2::c: :c: