Cornwall Football Forum

Sticker Reserves 4 St Mawgan 1

Sticker playing their second game of the Season against St Mawgan who I believe they have never beaten previously. They were determined to put Saturdays defeat against Polperro behind them and started firing on all cylinders playing determined football and its safe to say they could have been 3 goals up within the first half hour,  such was their dominance Adam Solomon and Jake Edmonson probably should have scored the three goals between them. But it took Ewam Warren-Knight to show them how to do it. When he sped into the penalty area and feinted one way before firing into the net. 1-0. A super goal scored by a player who normally plays in defence. St Mawgan were shell shocked and could find no way through with Connor Clarke returning in goal he was as determined to keep the opposition out. H/T.1-0.

The second half started with St Mawgan beginning to press forward with more urgency but with Andy Avery and Jack Carren in the heart of defence there was no easy route for the opposition. They tried going wide but Sticker had two wing backs thet were equal to the task. Sticker scored goal no.2 when Ewan once again proving what a versatile player he is when he jiggled past two players who actually fouled him but as he kept his balance and the ball and the referee waving play-on he crossed the ball and found Solly leaping like a salmon who glanced the ball into the net. 2-0. That really hurt St Mawgan who began to push further forward but leaving gaps in defence and Sticker were able to exploit this and scored goal no.3 when Jake Edmonson went on a fine run and sprinted past the defender and laid on a simple opportunity for the impressive and hard working Marco Barresi to score with ease. 3-0.  Sticker now started to relax a little and allowed St Mawgan more of the ball and they took the chance to pull one back. 3-1. And Avery now encouraging the younger players to keep the heads and to keep the pressure up and scored for me the goal of the game. When Jake Schafer who seems to come alive in the second half and had already made some scintillating runs down the left side sending in wicked crosses. this time a hopeful ball was played behind the defender which Jake spotted and sprinted after the ball and took control before chipping it past the keeper as he keep out to narrow the angle. 4-1. That finished St Mawgan and Sticker ran out the rest of the game worthy winners. F/T. 4-1. Martin , Avers and Jack Walker must be well pleased with to-nights performance as the whole team put in a superb performance. Well done from me!!

Team. C.Clarke, A.Lees, J.Carren, A.Avery, J.Schafer, J.Nancarrow, M.Barresi,L.Wilson, E.Warren-Clarke, J.Edmonson, A,Solomon. Subs.Used: B.Smith, J.Rogers, A.Hassel, A.Taylor.

Seems a strange comment to make. If they were reliable then they would be title contenders I guess. Pundits still making Man City favourites but lose on first day to Spurs. That's football I guess. Hopefully Sticker results, for both teams, will become more reliable without bankrupting the club, which I understand they refuse to do.

2 hours ago, justanopinion said:

Hopefully Sticker results, for both teams, will become more reliable without bankrupting the club, which I understand they refuse to do.

If that is their policy good luck to them, it's a pity that they appear to be in the minority with that train of thought, but their outstanding facilities do suggest that they spend their money wisely on permanent fixtures rather than passing mercenaries.

5 hours ago, We Two said:

Well done Sticker, lovely club but the results of both teams are not very reliable.

I think Unreliable is the wrong choice of words We Two! Inconsistent  would be more apt but both teams have young players in their sides and are the future is with them so its a big learning curve and both sides have a good management structure. Andy Avery and Jack Walker have stepped down from the first team to help the reserve team progress which has impacted the first team! Steve Flack has added three new young players who need time to settle in!