Cornwall Football Forum

Referee's pre match talks

Why is it now becoming the norm that refs want to tell Managers and players on how they are going to ref the game that day? Im not saying it's all refs but quite a few now take it upon themselves to "lecture" teams on the game. The majority of the time these refs go totally against what they say and miss the important decisions of the match. I try to install on my team the importance of putting in consistent performances week in week out and feel perhaps some sort of criteria should be given to refs refernce these pre-match talks. At the end of the day the man in black is in charge and gives decisions to his opinion, lets not bother with these do's and dont's before the game as they are so inconsistent.

jannerlad, personally I have never and never will tell the captains how I will referee the game and what I expect of them for precisely the reasons you have stated and if asked I will always advise other less experienced referee`s against it. Although it does happen I think it is only a minority of refs who do so.

Best to get them all in the middle and shout "No cricket bats,flickknives,bows & arrows,dumbells(players not included)peashooters and no biting,scratching and definately no nipple cripples"

I reckon that should just about do the trick,any more information ask the Stig! ;0) :clapper:

To me it always seems to be, that if a ref comes into the changing room before the game, it means they're worried about how they're going to perform and they're generally not very good!!

You would have thought that referees would all be singing off the same hymn sheet as such, so why the need for a chat?? And when you're giving a team talk in the changing room before the game, do you need a ref to come in and interupt?? no you don't!!!

Luckily though, the majority of refs out there just let you get on with it.

It cheeses me off when they do this half way through your team talk.SAME OLD THING NO JEWLERY, NO SWEARING,ILL LET PLAY FLOW(not many do though).Cant they do this if they have to whilst teams are warming up. :SM_carton: :SM_carton:

Guest Grandson of Jimbo

Maybethe refs wouldnt have to do before matck speeches if players behaved themselves and didnt try it on withdiferent refs eh? act the goat and expect to be treated like kids. :SM_carton:

TEAMS CAN NEVER BE 100% SURE THAT YOU HAVE SAID THE SAME THING TO BOTH TEAMS BECAUSE THEY MAY PRESENT QUESTIONS OF THEIR OWN SO I NO LONGER ENTER DRESSING ROOMS UNLESS A SPECIFIC MATTER HAS ARISEN THAT REQUIRES ME TO (NO SUBSTITUTES GIVEN, NO MATCH BALLS, NO ASSISTANTS APPOINTED, ETC;) .

AT THE COIN TOSS I INTRODUCE MY ASSISTANTS AND ASK BOTH CAPTAINS TO TREAT THEM WITH RESPECT. I THEN ASK THEM TO RESPECT MY DECISIONS WHETHER RIGHT OR WRONG.

I THEN ASK THE CAPTAINS TO DO A CAPTAINS JOB AND OVERSEE THEIR PLAYERS' BEHAVIOUR.

LONG BEFORE THE LATEST AMENDMENTS WERE BEING MADE I HAVE ALWAYS REQUESTED THAT I WILL DEAL WITH THE PLAYERS INVOLVED AND CAPTAINS ONLY AS I DO NOT LIKE TO BE CROWDED BY PLAYERS AS IT ALWAYS ENDS IN CAUTIONS OR DISMISSALS .

THEN WE DO THE COIN TOSS.............................................................