Cornwall Football Forum

CARHARRACK   (0)  1     Ben Beesley 61’

PENRYN  (3)  5        Jack Rapsey 33’ 58’ 72’  Bradley Leivers 12’  Ryan Reeve 31’ (pen)

Felt a bit emotional driving into the ‘Ting Tang’ tonight realising it’s the first game I’ve been to there since my old friend Billy Chown passed away last year. Spent so many hours of my life chatting local football with Billy most days and it was strange not seeing him there tonight. He would have been proud as always of his boys Richard and Jamie who are carrying on Bills love of the club and Jamie has done a great job with the pitch. Have really enjoyed watching Penryn this pre season, I’ve always been an admirer of young manager Harry Pope and the football he’s got his team playing at the moment is a pleasure to watch. The hosts player-manager Glen Patterson is a popular lad and top bloke as well and he’s assembled a team that I reckon could be right up there in the Combo league this season if he keeps all the players on show tonight. Himself, Matt McIlroy, James Davies, James Daniel, Ben Beesley, Jake Gregory, Jamie Shaw and captain Adam Barnicoat were just a few names I noticed lining up. The visitors took a 12th minute lead when a galloping run out of defence saw the impeccable Nick Boase drift past a few challenges before sending over an inch perfect cross to the far post where Bradley Leivers headed a picture goal down and across the keeper. On a side note I met Brads grandad at work several years ago and had a good old natter, he is none other than Bill Leivers who played and won the 1956 FA cup final for Manchester City 3-1 against Birmingham. The final was best remembered for City’s German keeper Bert Trautmann playing on after breaking his neck earlier in the game!! Anyway the electric heeled Ryan Reeve sped past a couple of defenders before being clipped and referee Mr Jamie Mooney had no hesitation correctly pointing to the spot. Reevey dusted himself down to send home keeper Craig Allen the wrong way from the resulting penalty. Just a couple minutes later Rappo Jnr flicked the ball over a defenders head with his right foot and volleyed into the far corner with his left for a great finish. Think I showed him that one in the garden a few times when he was a nipper!? 🤔 Despite the 3-0 ht scoreline this was a competitive game no doubt about it until the 58th minute when Reevey and Rappo combined again for a nice composed side foot finish just inside the post. The hosts got the goal they deserved a couple of minutes later when Macca swing a free kick into the area and Big Ben (not the clock ) rose highest to head into the far corner past Ben Mitchell. Ten minutes later probably the best goal I’ve seen all pre season saw Penryn keep the ball what seemed forever? Must have been 25/30 passes before captain Russell May whipped in a cross that Leivers almost connected with a bicycle kick but it dropped to Rappo just outside the area and he drove it just inside the post almost like a flash with no back-lift for his hat-trick and 13th goal of pre season. Not sure I showed him that in the garden? 😀 Reevey then drilled a thunderbolt against the post that deserved better before being scythed down by Jake Gregory for the easiest penalty Jamie will give all season! Reevey passed over the duty to player-manager Popey who gave himself a rare run out but his well struck penalty was beaten out by Allen diving to his right. There was still time for Mitchell to make a great save with his feet facing a one on one with the striker 3 minutes from time before Jamie bought the 42 minute 2nd half to a close after the corner was cleared. Good to spend the 1st half with Jamie and St.Day manager Joff Mallaber here watching Penryn no doubt before the season starts. Always good to see Martin “mad dog” McGhee looking as fit as ever and the last half hour with Tom Trust, a top guy and always an interesting and intelligent footy chat although I felt a bit left out tonight with Jacks girlfriend Beth and Tom comparing uni notes. I’m just a hoot toot from Malabar that luckily scored a few goals for some great teams and met some lovely people through footy. 😁🤔️ Another good nights football and rest in peace my old mate Billy, miss you everyday at work, Carharrack will never be the same not seeing you there, hope Glen and his team have a great season for Bill to look down on a Saturday afternoon. Obviously the winter will soon arrive and all pitches won’t be as lush as Kernick Road but got a feeling it could be a good season for Penryn playing this type of football 👍👏🏼