Jump to content
Cornwall Football Forum

Tavistock v Foxhole 8/1/08

Recommended Posts

No he was not the same official but interestingly he allowed the game to go ahead even though the ground suffered a horrendous downpour for about half an hour either side of kickoff which made the pitch resemble a paddyfield but he was probably mindful of the previous debacle before xmas when the conditions were certainly playable and more conducive to good football. However it was the same conditions for both teams and indeed the first 45mins were fairly evenly contested and if it were not for a poor decision by the ref who allowed Tavvy's first goal to stand despite an obvious foul plus wasteful finishing by the Foxes it could have been a different story at halftime rather than 1-0 to Tavvy. The second half however saw a collapse by the visitors which started with the conceding of the first of three penalties which in my opinion was the only legitimate one awarded and this plus a couple of well taken efforts and defensive errors plus some rather bizarre refereeing all combined to inflict on a Foxhole side depleted by the unavailability of a number of players for various reasons a heavy defeat which was somewhat flattering to Tavvy. Would have to say that all in all not the best reward for knocking out Liskeard in the last round.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tavistock 7 Foxhole 0

Tuesday 8th January 2007

Foxhole's brave cup run ended in the Langsford Park mud after a second half capitulation, but the scoreline was nevertheless hugely flattering to the home side who had been largely outplayed in the rain-sodden first half. Once again, an inability to convert numerous gilt-edged chances contrasted starkly with the clinical coldness of the finishing of Tavistock, who took maximum advantage of weary legs and some unbelievably generous refereeing.

The Foxes had been containing Tavy comparatively comfortably when, on the quarter hour, the officials somehow allowed a dangerous tackle on the committed Morris to go unpunished, and Conday ran through to score with ease. Foxhole then enjoyed their best spell, constantly threatening to expose the cumbersome home defence. Two chances fell to Fairclough, who froze on each occasion, but Griffin had again left his shooting boots at home as he blazed wildly at the ball at every opportunity, both Holland and Hill's control let them down at crucial moments while Meeds brilliantly turned away a fierce drive from Hill after a mazy dribble. Although Hobbs fired wide from 12 yards just before the break, it was definitely game on at that stage.

Alas, events conspired against the heroic Foxes in the second half. Within 5 minutes of the restart, Rowe slipped while attempting to shield the ball over the goal-line and caught the chasing Honey as he tried to regain his balance. Honey emphatically despatched the penalty, and Foxhole never recovered. Conday made it 3-0 on the hour, capitalising on a poor clearance, before Rowe was laughably penalised for tackling Krac in the area. Honey couldn't believe his luck as he strode up to slot home the spot-kick and soon set up Stringer for an easy fifth. On 74, an unmarked Conday lobbed number six, by which time the visibly wilting Foxes could only wonder how the game had changed so dramatically.

To their credit they gamely battled on, and might yet have brought an air of respectability to the evening had Hill and Griffin displayed the requisite composure, although a kind run of the ball was also noticeably absent. Failing completely to allow for the conditions, the referee booked Rowe and Dillon for fouls, and, predictably, Griffin for kicking the ball away before issuing further yellow cards to both Morris and Hobbs after an incident which left Panter clutching his face. The names of Honey and Ireland for fouls were also noted by Mr Gord, whose dismal performance was rounded off in injury time with the award of another ludicrously soft penalty after Grose had clearly won the ball. At least Honey had the good grace to look suitably embarrassed as he completed his hat-trick.

Foxhole (3-5-2): Ryan Holland 6; Colin Morris 7, David Grose 7, Mark Rowe 7; Richard Fairclough 6 (sub. Matthew Lean 6), Martin Giles 6, Adam Holland 7, Steve Panter 7, Jeff Dillon 7; Scott Hill 6 (sub. Liam Nicholls 6), Richard Griffin 6.

Tavistock (4-4-2): Andy Meeds; Lee Ireland, Lee Bevan (sub. Chris Menhinick), Nigel Pugh, Mike Arscott; Ryan Honey, Neal Kinsman, Will Stringer (sub. Paul Cowling), Shane Krac (sub. Adrian Payne); Glynn Hobbs, Marc Conday.

Referee: Mr Dave Gord (Plymouth) 5.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Create New...