Cornwall Football Forum

Vets 2nd April

Royal Par continued their improbable march towards a 1st league title with a hard fought 4-3 win away at Downderry. With other results going our way (no one else played) it now seems only a matter of time before we do a Leicester and pick up the trophy in May. With the home side in bright orange and us in pillar box red this has been officially been recognized as the first ever game visible from space. If any martians were watching they would have liked what they saw, 22 unfit fat blokes arguing about throw ins. The home side took the lead within 5 minutes, a slip in defence left the home side an easy close range finish. Within 15 minutes we had taken a 3-1 lead, Kev Allen breaking the offside trap 1-1, Neil White with a cross which eluded everyone 2-1 and Mark Place with a bullet header from a corner 3-1. After a succession of corners, 93 at the last count Downderry pulled one back before half time. The second half was all Downderry, last ditch defending and goal keeping preventing an equaliser. I take it as huge compliment that a Downderry player mentioned I reminded him of Neville Southall in stature between the sticks. The pressure did however tell, a rash challenge by our manager in the box (the rest of the teams words not mine) resulted in a penalty being awarded. Despite the home team looking most likely winners we snatched victory 10 minutes from time when the clumsy oaf (the rest of the teams words not mine) who gave away the penalty saw his speculative shot fly over the home keeper. Next week we travel to Perranporth, a team we haven't lost to since we last played them. Downderry fantastic hosts, great range of sandwiches after the game including my particular favourite egg mayonnaise.