Cornwall Football Forum

falmouth v parkway

Guest sonny jim

Still a long way to go! Parkway think they have won the title today!

I dont think mr. Massey will be impressed today with the performance by his team but for Parkway to get cocky and over confident like they did today after the game will be Fatal! seeing as they havent played all of the top teams yet and Falmouth have! Now that is a cautious lesson in football!

Still a long way to go! Parkway think they have won the title today!

I cannot imagine that the Parkway management would even think that, I'm sure, in fact I know, they recognise that there is such a long way to go yet. I dont agree with the argument regarding playing the top teams either, in this league any team can beat another one on the day (Witheridge 2 st.Blazey1).

but for Parkway to get cocky and over confident like they did today after the game will be Fatal

May have been a bit of celebarations over this game as it was listed as a big one, the players also recognise that there is a long way to go.

I have visited this site a few times now and it appears to me that whenever a team wins a game they appear to have given the opposition a lesson or thoroughly deserved there victory etc. I was at todays game and watch as a mad 15 minute game cost falmouth the game. Up until then falmouth played parkway off the pitch with their movement and link play and played the game in the right way. All credit to parkway though for scoring 3 goals and as you can all agree football is about scoring goals but I must admit I dont think they deserved to win considering their performance. I know it sounds a bit bias coming from a supposed falmouth supporter but I wasn't impressed by the way parkway played. THe last 10 mins the game was stretched and they were allowed to play but from where I was standing I was sure the back four were trying to have a competition on who could kick it the furthest up the field. I hope that this isn't a championship winning side I witnessed today because if so it will prove that in reality it isn;t the best league to play in. For those parkway supporters may I ask do you think you have the best side in the league? Please accept that this isn't a patronising comment its a honest question.

Guest Peppermint

I was at the game at Bickland Park yesterday and firstly would like to thank Postie Pidge for his help and cooperation and the gentleman who did the announcements for providing me with some information re the line ups etc.

One important point from the match was [and perhaps Stig could help] was the fact that I know angered several Falmouth Town supporters near me was that the Parkway captain Paul Edwards was heard clearly by myself and spectators and in that case surely by the Referee to shout at the official something along the lines of 'what a f*****g awful decision ref' not once but at least on two occasions and no yellow or red card was produced. In other matches this season officials have produced cards for the same thing so why did Edwards get away with it!

I thought that the home team deserved their half time lead but the turning point was just after half time when Falmouth had a goal disallowed that would have put them two up. Then Parkway took over and in the end I thought they were worthy winners. The striker Mark Berry took his three goals well and that was the difference.

I felt a bit sorry for Andy Bowker who worked hard all afternoon but did not manage to score and it would have been nice from a personal point of view to have seen Glen Squires the ex Newquay player on the field but I understand he was injured. Balancing that Ryan Fice was missing from the visitors' line up.

I enjoyed my visit to Bickland Park and wish Falmouth the best of luck fot the rest of the season.

As regards the title as Stuart says it is a long way to go and having seen a number of games and a lot of different teams I still have a sneaking feeling that Saltast United will be there or thereabouts at the end of the season.

yeah Roger Falmouth played parkway off the pitch and the disallowed second goal was the turning point. Was it offside or a fowl? I dont think it was a fowl as Neil Bettis was just stronger! That mad moment spell that let Parkway back in, was similar to St.Blazey first game, Liskeard away first 20 minutes e.t.c! The defenders have to start taking responsbility. We let Parkway win through our own mistakes. I wasnt impressed with Parkway i felt town shuld have won quite easily the way they played first half but thats football for you! I still think Falmouth can get a title charge together if they cut out the stupid mistakes!

Guest Postie Pidge

The Town goal that was disallowed was for offside. Having spoken to the stand in assistant, he said there was daylight between them. Thank you Quiet Man!

Guest Peppermint

Thanks for that Stig. It was certainly at least two of those mentioned and possibly all three and completely unnecessary and did nothing to enhance Paul Edwards' reputation. To be fair I thought the referee had a good game but the words were very clear for all to hear so this is why I raised it.

If this warranted a red card then it would have certainly taught the player a lesson for the future.

Guest Peppermint

Great sarcasm Stuart but I was a little nearer the action than you!!!![more sarcasm] - but this particular player went out of his way to be abusive to the referee and surely you are not condoning abuse to the official.

I was merely, as a neutral, reporting what I had witnessed at the game and commenting on the inconsistency of referees and how one game a player is carded for swearing at the official and another he is not! No wonder a player does not know where he stands.

Perhaps the sarcasm was because I dare question the actions of a Parkway player - saying all that Parkway certainly deserved to win.

Guest Peppermint

Another point and this concerning the Parkway Website and a very strangely worded report by someone known as 'Lids Online' about the match. I thought Bowker played well without a lot of support up front.

<_< No I agree with you, I have always been strong on verbals, dont see the need for it. Regards Lidds on Line. Dave does all the action photos at home and away, some fantastic pictures from him over the years. I suppose his comments on games are like most of us, a personal view of the game. I am sure you would be the first to agree that at most matches we all see a different view. I think the picture of 'Bowks' at the end says it all, both for Dave and the club. :D

i was standing near Paul Edwards when he swore. My ten year pld son was standing with. this is not the kind of thing i want to witness This is not acceptable by players.

Guest Peppermint

A question for Guiness or Distant Shores - are the Parkway team training with Scott Dann the boxer. If so it is certainly paying dividends because they did look very fit and looked stronger as the game went on.

Guest SLIC VIC

A question for Guiness or Distant Shores - are the Parkway team training with Scott Dann the boxer. If so it is certainly paying dividends because they did look very fit and looked stronger as the game went on.

Yes Peppermint the lads are still training at Scott Danns, but to be honest with you a lot of their fitness is down to James Lynch he's come in this year to assist M Gammon as fitness coach and the rewards are there for all to see. We are sending P Edwards to elocution lessons so we hope he will curb his swearing, but I do agree with you there is no need for it.

p.s. Distant Shores has had a computer crash and will be off line for a week or two YIPPEEEEEEE........

Guest Peppermint

Welcome to the Forum Slic Vic and a nice touch of humour re Paul Edwards.

Parkway looked a very fit team that is a credit to whoever is helping out with fitness and I am sure they will be there or thereabouts when the League title is decided.

Distant Shores with a computer problem so he is cut off from civilisation!!!!!

Having taken over the flag at half-time due to one of the assistant referees being unable to continue due to sustaining an injury, and being on the committee at Falmouth Town, it would have been very easy to have turned a blind eye to things in Falmouth's favour. However, although it is nearly 20 years since officiating in any capacity at a match, natural instincts are still there. When the ball was played forward and into the goal for what would have been Falmouth's second goal, I saw Andy Bowker standing in an offside position and from my position possibly interfering with the goalkeepers view. I raised my flag to indicate that there was a player in an offside position and the referee then disallowed the goal. If he had any doubt in his mind that the goal should have been allowed, then I am sure that he would have come over to me to discuss the matter. He did not. My opinion (and after all football is all about opinions) would appear to be backed up by some other spectators who have already stated that on this thread. Credit must go to the Falmouth team who did not protest about the decision, especially as this game was a six-pointer. Who knows, they may have gone on to win the game if the goal had been allowed, but I would not have been happy with myself knowing that the game may have hinged on a dishonest decision. I hope that in the end, honesty will prevail throughout the game and if Town do happen to win the league then it will be through their own sterling efforts and not be through one of their own committee men helping them by cheating. BTW, yes Stig, I did say to Pidge that there was daylight between Andy Bowker and the defence, but that is what most people who do not officiate in the game understand easiest.

Guest Peppermint

Well said Quiet Man - with the risk of flattering you I thought you did very well when you came on as a replacement assistant referee after the break. Falmouth Town are lucky to have you in reserve because I am sure every club does not have that luxury.