Cornwall Football Forum

Penzance 0, St Blazey 4

Guest Black&White

Guest Black&White

Throgmorton Cup, second round

Friday 19th October

Penzance 0, St Blazey 4 (M Body 2, D Nancarrow, S Parnell)

h/t: 0-0

Four second half goals saw St Blazey comfortably through to the third round, although with two of the goals coming in second half injury time and capitalising on some woeful defensive howlers, the winning margin somewhat flattered the visitors.

Penzance had their chances but found Blazey keeper Scott Palmer in tremendous form, and the division one west side were ultimately exposed for a lack of quality in some key areas of the pitch.

A very frustrating night for home supporters in an excellent Friday crowd of somewhere between 250 and 300 - especially considering that some of the Magpies' play was very good. Wayne Quinn in particular put some exceptional balls into the box, which time and again were not attacked by anyone in a white shirt. For something's sake, I think I heard him shout more than just the once, which pretty much summed things up from a home perspective!

Line-ups:

Penzance: Craig Nicholls; Jay Liddicoat, Jamie Devine, James Street, Darren Holsey, Wayne Quinn, Dan Magee, Steve Burt, Stuart Reynolds, Steve Hancock, Nick Pugliese. Subs: Matt Witts (for Devine), Jack Liddicoat (for Magee), Mark Grenfell (for Liddicoat).

St Blazey: Scott Palmer, Tom Hunter, Ashley Bradshaw, Simon Parnell, Phil Smith, Bradley Ralph, Jon Sebbar, Wayne Hewitt, Lee Whetter, Dan Nancarrow, Mike Body. Subs: Carl Rickard (for Bradshaw), Jay Isbell (for Nancarrow); Damon Mulready and Dave Philp (gk) not used.

Referee: Stig!

Guest Doomer17

Just got back from the game.

Yeah penzance had chances, Blazey keeper spilt 2 corners, and flapped at another..on another night they would have easily been capitalised on and the result would have been different. But your right, the scoreline does flatter Blazey, i think it was more a case of P/Z pushing at the end and leaving massive gaps

Guest Black&White

Pz were pushing forward which could excuse why the wide gaps were left at the back late on, but the manner in which the goals were conceded will not have pleased John and Adrian, I wouldn't think.

John and Adrian have got some useful players there and are not a million miles away from having a useful outfit at their disposal, there's just two or three key positions which give some obvious cause for concern.

That's the second time in a fortnight we've played reasonably well in a big home game and suffered a heavy defeat (Wadebridge 3-0, tonight 4-0), so hopefully lessons will have been learned and we'll see some improvement, starting with a difficult game at Dobwalls next Saturday.

Just got home!! Had to stop for some of Penzances finest.....K.F.C!! Good win for St Blazey after saturdays poor second half. Nanks was back to make the runs which gave Bods a bit more space. Penzance look a tidy side but St Blazey did give Penzance plenty of problems. 2-0 would have ben a fair result but Pz never gave up and St Blazey finished off the job. Great crowd tonight. Met Phil H tonight. Crowd was set at 279....I think. It would have been 281 but for 2 supporters who were taken home by the RAC with a damaged gear box!!!! And in that car was another few flags!! So just the 1 tonight. I hope friday football is here to stay. Weve now played Parkway, Bodmin and now Pz all away on a friday night. All 3 games have been watched by 275+. Great to see. Now for Argyle v Coventry tomorrow.

Excellent program as ever by the way!! Worthy of a higher league!!

A very entertaining evening before a healthy crowd.

Had to leave before the end but agree Penzance were a little unlucky not to find the net,especially first half and sounds if the scoreline was flattering.

How about the Ref-our own Cornish Soccer forum STIG, apart from a first half dust up between Crouchy and Wayne Quinn he had a comfortable game which he enjoyed throughout.

Met up with Mike Sampson,Mark Hayman and Phil H.all chalking up another club visit to achieve the 51 total. and must say the match programme is excellent reading which I will save for tomorrow. Well done Nathan Richards.

Friday night football is the in thing with attendances with tonight totalling 279 (the second highest of the SWPL).

One gate you missed in your top ten Nathan was Falmouth v St.Blazey 221 on the opening day of the season.

A desperately frustrating evening. On a number of occasions it was just a final touch that was lacking to put PZ in to the lead or to equalise. I agree with Nathan, Wayne Quinn was excellent once more: I thought that Nick Pugliese had rather a quiet first half especially and so we didn't have the width that has been a feature of our play when both he and Dan Magee are running at defenders. I also thought we had a very good penalty shout when someone, not sure who, was shoved over in the box when we were still only one down. Blazey come away with plenty of credit however: they were patient, defended well and took their chances well. I'm afraid that there are clearly problems in "key positions"...some of which are not always the easiest position to cover I'm afraid.

Well done on the programme again Nathan: who wrote the comment section? John? Ian?

Now, start praying to the weather Gods: Dobwalls on a cold, windy day can be pretty grim.

Guest Black&White

Some nice comments there chaps, thanks for that. I agree Friday night football seems to have really taken off crowd wise, so let's hope for plenty more of them, it's been a while since we had a crowd like that at Penlee for a league game and would be great to see on a more regular basis. I'm sure Ian, our treasurer must have been pleased with last night's takings!

With regards to the programme, while a lot of effort does go into it, particularly in the last 10 days with three home games on the bounce, the help and support received from the likes of John Mead, Ian Robinson, Des Hosken and the 'old man' should not go unmentioned when praise is handed out, so thanks to them as well.

Sad to say that the Friday travel does not suit St Blazey and our numbers were depleted, so must suit Penzance and good luck. Friday nights should be a matter of agreement between Clubs, as we also lost the Revenue usually created before travel, so win win for Penzance and lose lose for St Blazey. Luckily we got the result at least.

Well chuffed to see that Jay Liddicoat (Gulval 1st team regular for the last few years) playing well but even more Jack. Jack was playing Mining 3 for me in Gulval Reserves last year!

With Jojo going great guns recently and Darren Steadman scoring when on the pitch at St Ives I think it safe to say that Gulval are not a bad feeder club for the Senior sides!!