Cornwall Football Forum

ECPL Rowett Insurance League Cup Final Sunday 5th April

This has to go down as one of the most one sided finals you will ever see.  Torpoint reduced to ten men on half time.  They had 12 clear cut chances which were either saved, blocked or hit the woodwork. They camped in the Tavy half almost all of the second half but failed to get the ball into the box at crucial times.  Tavy relied on the long boot up the park and it worked.  That was the way they got all three goals.  Fair play to them they stuck to their task despite the immense pressure put on them by Torpoint.    On another day Stacey would have had a hat full of goals.   Just shows sometimes the better side does not win.

Don't know what game you were watching ECPL, Torpoint had a good 20 minutes at the start of the 2nd half, apart from that it was mainly Tavistock, at the end of the day goals win games & if I remember Tavistock won 3-0.

Edited by The Boy

Can't really see how ECPL can say it such a one sided game.... Tavy were the best side first half by a mile. The sending off was probably a bit harsh and Torpoint were the better side in the second. Dave potham or ECPL doesn't have a clue. Probably an even game but tavy had all the best chances and took them. Stacey's penalty Capped it off as he looked like he didn't care when he took it. Up the lambs........ On another note the offficails controlled the game very well. Bring on the evely cup!!!!!! Also thanks to Torpoint who were very gracious losers 

You have got to be kidding.   I have checked my notes again and again and there were 12 YES 12 clear cut chances for Torpoint.  It makes no difference to me who wins.  It was a scrappy game but Torpoint failed because apart from the clear cut chances, they spent to much time dilly dallying around instead of getting the ball into the box.  As I said.  On another day Stacey would have had a hat full..    I can only go on what I saw.  Tavistocks defence at blocking shots was superb as well as the Tavy goalkeeper.  But all three goals came from up and unders while Torpoint  were on the attack.  Anyone can be biased towards their own side and why not, but in the cold hard facts of  the day this was a match Torpoint could have and should have won quite comfortably.  I'm afraid thats football.   And Yan, how on earth could you say Tavy were the better side in the first half.   on checking my notes I had Stacey heading narrowly wide, Number 4 had a good shot well saved, Tavy then scored, Stacey had a six yard shot superbly saved then he had a shot blocked,   Kershaw then struck the crossbar, Stacey fired narrowly wide, then another shot well saved and this was all in the first half.  Cant comment about the sending off as I was to far away.  In the second half Torpoint penned Tavy back with Number 9 shooting just wide, Number 5 missed from six yards and then a long hopeful ball up the park was latched on to by I think Crago who scored a good breakaway goal.  Need I go on.  I must admit a long hopefull ball up to I think it was Rennie produced a superb finish.  As someone has already said goals win matches unfortunately it was just not Torpoints day.  As I also said, Torpoinjt wasted numerous chances not to cross the ball into the penalty area in the second half and paid dearly for it.  Hey If I was a Tavy player I would be over the moon.  

Edited by ECPL