Cornwall Football Forum

Club names

How long have Goonhavern been Goonhavern Athletic? I believe they were just Goonhavern in the South Western League. Was it when they were in the Trelawny League?

When did Looe become Looe Town? All old records seem to suggest that from the 1950s-1970s they were just plain Looe. I like things to be precise so archive records will forever be accurate.

Senior club St Columb. I believe both St Columb teams played senior football. Am I right in assuming St Columb Minor only played in the Combination League and any reference to St Columb in senior football outside Minor's Combo spell is St Columb Major? (If that makes sense)

In the SW Peninsula hand book of 2007-08club directory it shows "Goonhavern"

But this does not say too much as in later seasons they(SWPL) show St.Austell and we all know it is "A.F.C.St.Austell"

Richard Rundle's FCHD shows "Goonhavern" and St.Austell until 2009 when it changes to "AFC St.Austell"

Senior club St Columb. I believe both St Columb teams played senior football. Am I right in assuming St Columb Minor only played in the Combination League and any reference to St Columb in senior football outside Minor's Combo spell is St Columb Major? (If that makes sense)

Yes, I believe that is the case. Two spells in the East Cornwall League for "Major", now currently in the Duchy Premier of course.

Just found an old Goonhavern programme from their 2006-07 season in the South Western League

Front cover- GOONHAVERN ATHLETIC F.C.

Inside- Saturday 3rd.March 2007 Goonhavern Athletic v Tavistock

I have always referred them as Athletic even in their Junior days and having spoken to CTB he has always assumed them to be Athletic in the Combination League era.

So all my records will be showing Goonhavern Athletic.