Cornwall Football Forum

Duchy League - Saturday December 27th 2014

Veryan 5 Gorran 1

Veryan's goals were scored by Justin Trebilcock pen, Dan Vincent 2, Craig Phillips, Bobby Lee-Johns. Sorry, not sure of Gorran’s goalscorer.

Gorran played very well in the first half and took the lead with a well taken finish, but Justin Trebilcock equalised after Dan Vincent was brought down. It was 1-1 at half-time and Gorran were deservedly level.

In the second-half Gorran never really got going but Veryan started to pass the ball a lot better and they dominated throughout.

Dan Vincent gave them a lead with a tap-in after a cross from the left. At this point Craig Phillips came out of goal and was replaced, reluctantly, by Alex Pearce (I think he might be the shortest ever goalkeeper in Cornish football history!).

Phillips headed in a Dan Vincent corner to make it 3-1 and then then Vincent himself made it 4-1 almost straight away with a strong run and finish from the halfway line. The scoring was complete when Bobby Lee-Johns finished emphatically from the left. The Gorran keeper did make an excellent save from a Justin Trebilcock effort that was destined for the top corner. Player-manager Gary Whieldon will not want to remember his miss from 2 yards out – however I’m not sure his players will let him forget though!

All in all I thought that it was a good game. It was a shame that Gorran faded after their first-half efforts. They had some good players in their side – the centre back (Guy?) gave 100% throughout and was putting himself about and the centre-forward (Jack?) was good in the air and linked play up well on the floor. I think he would have caused more problems if they could have got some better deliveries into the box from wide areas for him. If they play like they did today then they will surely pull away from the bottom of division 3.

Veryan are a very good footballing team and they will have a good season for sure – they have too much quality not to be competing in every competition they are in. The players that stood out for me were Steven Way (won everything in midfield) and Dan Vincent (dangerous in every attack in the second-half).

Good luck to both teams for the rest of the season.

Veryan 5 Gorran 1

Veryan's goals were scored by Justin Trebilcock pen, Dan Vincent 2, Craig Phillips, Bobby Lee-Johns. Sorry, not sure of Gorran’s goalscorer.

Gorran played very well in the first half and took the lead with a well taken finish, but Justin Trebilcock equalised after Dan Vincent was brought down. It was 1-1 at half-time and Gorran were deservedly level.

In the second-half Gorran never really got going but Veryan started to pass the ball a lot better and they dominated throughout.

Dan Vincent gave them a lead with a tap-in after a cross from the left. At this point Craig Phillips came out of goal and was replaced, reluctantly, by Alex Pearce (I think he might be the shortest ever goalkeeper in Cornish football history!).

Phillips headed in a Dan Vincent corner to make it 3-1 and then then Vincent himself made it 4-1 almost straight away with a strong run and finish from the halfway line. The scoring was complete when Bobby Lee-Johns finished emphatically from the left. The Gorran keeper did make an excellent save from a Justin Trebilcock effort that was destined for the top corner. Player-manager Gary Whieldon will not want to remember his miss from 2 yards out – however I’m not sure his players will let him forget though!

All in all I thought that it was a good game. It was a shame that Gorran faded after their first-half efforts. They had some good players in their side – the centre back (Guy?) gave 100% throughout and was putting himself about and the centre-forward (Jack?) was good in the air and linked play up well on the floor. I think he would have caused more problems if they could have got some better deliveries into the box from wide areas for him. If they play like they did today then they will surely pull away from the bottom of division 3.

Veryan are a very good footballing team and they will have a good season for sure – they have too much quality not to be competing in every competition they are in. The players that stood out for me were Steven Way (won everything in midfield) and Dan Vincent (dangerous in every attack in the second-half).

Good luck to both teams for the rest of the season.

Good to see Bobbly Llee Jlones on the score sheet again!!

Good match report from chrissy davey from the veryan match we werent at our best but got the result we needed the defender for gorran was guy widdows who everytime we have played them has had a decent game an there striker was jack bray-smith who had a good game aswell! Mom was steve way with a good performance an like chris said won everything in the midfeild!! Looking forward to our junior cup game away to saltash next saturday ?