Cornwall Football Forum

Brian Biggin cup

Are Newquay playing in this competiiton as I have just been told by one of the Godolphin management that Newquay were not

playing in it this year,however if they are playing will it be a second team fixture as I can see no point in playing a pre season friendly

against a team you will meet in league fixtures.

Never believe anything you are told by those who don't know Barry.

Dates to be finalised but... Brian Biggin Tournament 2014 Match Fixtures from Sat 12 July onwards.

St Dennis v St Agnes & Newquay v Perranporth

St Agnes v Newquay & St Dennis v Godolphin

Newquay v St Dennis & Godolphin v Perranporth

Godolphin v St Agnes & Perranporth v St Dennis

St Agnes v Perranporth & Godolphin v Newquay (both at St Agnes on Sat 26 July)

Interesting for newquay to play a reserve side against godolphin, as im sure the 'G' always have played their 1st team in this fixture. Each club to their own but is this an easy way out to stop the 1st team being beat/shown up by their rivals so early on in the season. Surely you pick best 11 for each game, also it takes the shine off the tournement in general?

Not sure what it has to do with anyone but the clubs involved, but as Newquay have not yet named the SWPL manager, no one knows which players will be involved. It is a pre-season mini-tourney, a chance for whoever the managers are, to look at players from their club as a whole. Don't like it, don't watch, I'm sure the clubs who are taking part will gain from it, as will the charity that Sandra will nominate.

Thats it if im a paying spectator then i want to see two 1st teams. All im saying is that it seems from the outside to just not be but others i know also that newquay shirk godolphin every year in this competition.What good does it do to the reserves to & get tanked? Apart from save humiliation to all involved with the 1st team? Just an observation that others have picked up on also

I can see no benefit to either club in playing this pointless pre season so called friendly, ok I know the money goes to charity,but what do the clubs get out of it other than

another wage bill,can you see Man U Arsenal or Liverpool playing a pre season friendly against each other NO Way.

Surely a pre season friendly should be against clubs from a higher level which should attract gates to benefit the club.

Why don,t Godolphin and Newquay both play their second teams,also why are both final games at St Agnes is there a reason for this?

I took newquay reserves to the G last year we got beat 9-0, but it wasn't a waste you sometimes learn more from a defeat, plus all my lads showed great character and never stopped trying to play football, although it did upset a few people that the reserves played but that was mainly due to no one knowing until we turned up that it wasn't the first team playing.

Last year was the first and so far only time Newquay have put anything other than a 1st XI out in the BB Cup, so lets knock that bollox on the head. The manager at the time last summer did not want a pre-season game against a side in the same division, does not mean it will or will not happen this year. However, I do agree that sides from the same division should not play in pre-season, players want to test themselves against sides they wouldn't normally meet, the fans might get the chance to visit a new ground.

Not sure about the wage bill Barry, we've never paid expenses to players for a friendly before as far as I'm aware. Refs may still charge, but that is the only outlay clubs have to make.

The final two games have always been on the last day so that the trophy can be presented to the winning side, which may come from any of the sides involved. It also helps with attendance figures and fund raising.

I suggest that LeedsUnited worries about his own club, or is his constant sniping just to distract from problems he has elsewhere ?

Like i said, i am not the only person to of questioned it. All i asked was why did godolphin take it seriously & newquay didnt? Surely you want to get one over on your nearest rivals anytime during the season? Nobody heard godolphin moan about it. You moan when you play same weekends then the chance you get for a showdown you cop out & whack your reserves in, very brave!