Cornwall Football Forum

Technology spoiled the game.

On Saturday I was at Twickenham for the Rugby Premiership Final between Saracens and Northampton Saints, I was seated on the halfway line just 4 rows back (nice wall for the beers to rest on) so had a good uninterrupted view of proceedings, Northampton took up the attack from halfway and the pass out was in line with my eye-line and it moved forward by 5 metres or so, the attack continued and Northampton scored and the try converted, 7 points that shouldn't have been awarded, the referee referred the try upstairs to confirm something he thought may be amiss but you only get an answer to what the referee asks therefore, the referral did not go back as far as the original forward pass, later Saracens from a move closer to the line and the referee asked if the pass was forward, it was by about a metre the try was disallowed correct decision but the technology is only as good as the manner it is used, I paid £80 to see a game of rugby where because of poor refereeing backed by technology not being used in the correct manner resulted in the team crowned as champions were by events on the field only runners up, I was there as a neutral so no axe to grind other than feeling cheated that I paid good money for a game described by the media as a thriller awarded to the wrong team.

On Sunday I watched on TV (didn't know the game was on, no mention in the Saturday programme) Cornwall play Lancashire, Cornwall scored their first try that would not have counted had the technology been available because the try scorers lower legs would have shown to be in the air but over the touchline, an error by the referee gleefully accepted by the Cornwall fans but apparantly unnoticed by the Lancashire faithful.

Saturday was the first time I had been to a game of rugby using the referral system, prior to this I was in favour of MAYBE trying it in football but no thanks, my Saturday was ruined even as a neutral feeling cheated, as a compromise perhaps I may welcome a trial for goalmouth incident as long as the game is not stopped, contact on the move by the referee with the person referral is made to.

Warts & all I think our referees do a great job at most levels of the game and over a season any errors even themselves out.

How many believe their game of passion should be stopped for sometimes an eternity to deprive us of our enjoyment.

Unfortunately it is the future of our game. A a matter of interest the forward pass which was later pulled back saw the receiving player clearly behind the passer as the point of passing, so I wonder jyst what is a forward pass. Also it was amazing that the winning try was awarded by the TMO when in fact the correct decision should have been in the favour of the defending team as it was clearly not conclusive that the ball had touched the line as the camera angle showed. So how would this be used in football. The new system which says whether a ball has crossed the line has been introduced and is working. As far as the rest of the game is concerned the only time I think it could be of use is when a penalty has or has not been awarded. The useless official behind the goal line is a complete and utter farce. One of the things that should be cleared up is the amount of free kicks awarded in the penalty area from free kicks/corners/. It would appear that 99% of the time it is the attacker who is penalised. Rather odd. My other great gripe is referees continually stopping the game and wasting time by admonishing players for pushing/pulling in the penalty area before a ball has been kicked yet when the kick does eventually come in the same players are seen in a wrestling match and once again either ignored by the referee or the forward is the one penalised. Why can they not allow the players to get on with it and decide who is the culprit when the ball is kicked. .

I agree technology could be useful determining penalty claims.

With pushing and shoving, that occurs mostly in the 5.5 metre Goal Area that could be eliminated if no one other than the defending goalkeeper was allowed inside it until a corner or free kick has been taken.

OR no attacking players allowed inside the Goal Area until the ball is set in motion (kicked).

I think it could lead to more goals because of the space created.

Good idea. Unfortunately it is too simple for our leaders to take on board. At least it would do away with having these ridiculous officials behind the goal line. The worst decision ever thought up.

In recent months I have noticed the officials behind the goal getting more involved, they are wired up and I have seen them in conversation with the referee all be it whilst I was watching games on TV.- Despite their presence the scrimmaging does appear to be getting worse.

Unfortunately it is the future of our game. A a matter of interest the forward pass which was later pulled back saw the receiving player clearly behind the passer as the point of passing, so I wonder jyst what is a forward pass. Also it was amazing that the winning try was awarded by the TMO when in fact the correct decision should have been in the favour of the defending team as it was clearly not conclusive that the ball had touched the line as the camera angle showed. So how would this be used in football. The new system which says whether a ball has crossed the line has been introduced and is working. As far as the rest of the game is concerned the only time I think it could be of use is when a penalty has or has not been awarded. The useless official behind the goal line is a complete and utter farce. One of the things that should be cleared up is the amount of free kicks awarded in the penalty area from free kicks/corners/. It would appear that 99% of the time it is the attacker who is penalised. Rather odd. My other great gripe is referees continually stopping the game and wasting time by admonishing players for pushing/pulling in the penalty area before a ball has been kicked yet when the kick does eventually come in the same players are seen in a wrestling match and once again either ignored by the referee or the forward is the one penalised. Why can they not allow the players to get on with it and decide who is the culprit when the ball is kicked. .

A forward pass relates to the ball being passed forward not the player, however if the player is in front of the ball he may be deemed to be offside!

MQx