Cornwall Football Forum

ECPL FIXTURE FRIDAY 1ST MARCH

A Friday night fixture under floodlights featuring 2 rival teams, both which had near full squads and some new players. It was always going to be a competitive game and, despite the score line suggesting otherwise, it was very entertaining. First half saw launceston adopt a high octane and fast paced style, pressing saltash in every ball and really going for it. Despite the severe pressure, there were no clear cut opportunities created and saltash defended excellently as they have done in the previous 10 games or so. Saltash had several long shots and forced efforts on goal, but the first real effort fell to launceston. A free kick from half way eluded the saltash defence courtesy of a flick on, with the unmarked player blazing over from 4 yards with a first time effort. Saltash pushed on with some further efforts, with mark toms denied a stunning free kick by an excellent save from the launceston keeper. With less than 10 minutes of the half remaining, chris curran had his continued effort and determination rewarded with a superb diving header following another good save by the launceston keeper, to give the ashes the lead.

The second half was again an exchange of attacking football, both teams looked good going forward and both teams defended very well, probably another 15 opportunities and near miss passes and essential tackles/ interceptions for both sides. The two sides shared possession and chances, with launceston awarded a penalty after a clear foul in the box, but ryan walkey continued his excellent season in goal with a superb save. Callum obrien received a yellow card 15 minutes in for his third late challenge which forced our right back off with injury. Launceston pushed for an equaliser late in the game, and with 2 minutes remaining were denied by a post after a fortunate cross come shot and another save from walkey.

All in all a very good game last night and well attended too. A deserved 3 points for the ashes in a hard fought game against an improved launceston side.

Great write up thanks naholiday sounds like a good game . Saltash keeper has had a great season so far and has won them a fair few points . He only young and I'm sure will get better and better and play higher league good on Stewart for giving him a chance this season

although saltash won the game 1-0 i have to say launcestons right back who even managed to play up top for the last half hour was streets ahead of anyone on the pitch, lethal left foot, deserved a lot more from the game and a lot more from his team mates. caused problems for the whole game and even won a penalty which the number 9 missed... not suprisingly.

MC10, that is callum o'brien...ex saltash player who was certainly up for the game. Anyone will look gd with quick feet and players dive in. With callum he too can be like any other player and be inconsistant but that was the best i have seen him play. Natural left footed player player at right back. May add that he was lucky to stay on the pitch, some synical fouls were made by him that went unpunished until he finally nailed our RB good and proper and was warranted his 1st yellow ( should of been his 2nd ).

My opinion as we all have one

Well refereed as per usual Smiffy and if there were to be a bitch about you then it would be as i have aready stated above. No-one likes seeing players booked or sent off but thought Callum was lucky to stay on for 90mins.

I have to agree with both linesman doing excellent jobs, well done James and Mark. I too believe Launceston will pick up points as they are now back to full strengtth and wish gary and his players all the best.

Hi Ian,

I am not slating Smiffy at all because i still think he is one of the best refs around but its what he deemed not a foul and what i deemed a foul and when two players need ice and one off hospital and now on crutches i still maintain he was lenient. Its about opinions and debates.

I still gave him a high mark :thumbsup:

thought Launceston were awful. The sooner they realise its the ball they should be kicking and not the opposition then they might starting playing football and winning games. Callum had a good game granted i wouldnt say he was streets ahead of anyone on the pitch! most players up their game when playing their old club which he did, if callum wernt so inconsistent and lost a bit/lot of weight he would still b in the saltash team or playing higher as he has a decent lefty. all this said he was lucky to continue playing on friday night after that awful tackle!.

Stewart I heard about the challenge to day at my game and the person who told me said that if I was the ref then the Launceston players would be soaking himself in the showers a bit before the rest . We all see things differently so Martin read it as a yellow then that is how he see it , as you know we all are different . :thumbsup:

stew your right we all differ on games and we all see things so differently. but thats... life... right or wrong :thumbsup:

in my eyes i made the right call on the yellow. :thumbsup:

all in all it was a good game to referee and i enjoyed it as i always do going to saltash. :thumbsup:

mr spurling. i wore yellow first half and then change at half time into black kit :thumbsup:

dont understand how callum can go from winning players player at saltash 2nds last year... to supposedly not being good enough to play for them this year... an inconsistent player wouldnt be winning awards... also his weight has never been a problem hardly over weight is he. he would walk in to that saltash team.

Good question? Why is Callum O'Brien out at Launceston? Peths took him out there but he's gone now. Callum is a good solid young player. Sweet left peg, good dead ball, likes a tackle and is a Saltash lad who drinks up the clubhouse with all the locals. So why isn't he playing for Saltash 2nds? We had him at Dobwalls for couple games end of last season and he did quite well. He didn't want to sign this year cos he said he had doubts if good enough for Peninsula yet but I think he has all the attributes and just needs to work on fitness to be box to box for 90 minutes. Saltash should be full of young Saltash lads like Callum if they want to challenge. . . In my opinion x