Cornwall Football Forum

Football fixtures

Can anyone shed some light on another year of ridiculous football fixtures. As a St Austell fan,how is it that we have 4home games in a row and had to play 3 away games. Also we have already played Parkway home and away. Surely all the teams in the league would benefit from one home game followed with an away game.Is this to much to sort out. This was the same last year. I look forward to what your views on this subject.

Surely it can't be that hard to do or is it one press on a computer button. Like I said parkway played already why can't we play at the beginning and near the end of the season? For example Man utd and Liverpool never play each other before November, and champions league FA cup, Carling cup and internationals all sort out. Surely our league is not that complicated to work out.

Totally agree Dan

It doesn't help matters when there are no floodlights in place to fit in midweek matches.

All the F A competitions and replays, County Cup draws and the postponements all come into the mix.

Last Saturday I had a mid morning call to say the Falmouth game was off at Dartmouth and looking at the SWPL website I informed the caller(in the same instant) that it been rearranged within minutes for a Saturday in March

Top Secretary is (SWPL Phil.H')

I agree the arrangments of fixtures is a very difficult job and massive respect to Mr Hiscox. However I must agree with the unknown that sometimes the fixtures don't do some clubs to many favours. Some mid week games where the likes of Penzance or Witheridge have to travel to opposite ends of the two counties to play a match puts a massive strain on those clubs/players. Getting time of work to travel to these games isn't always possible for many players and thus many teams travel with weaker sides and provide the opposition with an advantage before the game has even kicked off!!

To play one side twice, sometimes in the space a few weeks also hampers or helps certain teams. One example of this is the Royal Marines, a side dependant on many players who are away/unavailable for part of the season. Already this season some sides have played them twice and had easy wins due to the side missing players. By xmas and beyond im sure the marines will gain players and strengthen so providing much tougher opposition to teams. Those who haven't yet played them are at a disadvantage in my opinion.

Suspensions and injuries to key players are the other issue. Missing four or five games due to injury/suspension and you could miss out on playing the same side twice. In big games where results are important this is unfair.

I know the fixtures are a difficult thing to arrange but prior to the peninsula league being formed fixtures between two sides seemed evenly spaced over the season.

Totally agree Dan

It doesn't help matters when there are no floodlights in place to fit in midweek matches.

All the F A competitions and replays, County Cup draws and the postponements all come into the mix.

Last Saturday I had a mid morning call to say the Falmouth game was off at Dartmouth and looking at the SWPL website I informed the caller(in the same instant) that it been rearranged within minutes for a Saturday in March

Top Secretary is (SWPL Phil.H')

What puzzles me is why we were playing Dartmouth again at all. But for postponements we would have completed our fixtures against; Dartmouth, Bodmin, Tavistock, Cully, Liskeard and within eight days, St. Blazey. This with the season about a third of the way through. Obviously clubs being allowed in the league without floodlights doesn't help with the organisation of fixtures but that doesn't really explain this situation.

Just seeing what other fans think of the situation on fixtures. As for the past posts they feel the same as I do. All teams have budgets but to play more than two away games on the trot must make it hard to finance, for alot of the smaller clubs in the league. This post is not a gripe but perhaps the truth hurts

Surely it's better to play a team soon after the first game rather than have a blank Saturday because no other team is available!Then you might have cause to be upset.

I don't recall anyone claiming to be 'upset'. Yes it is better to play a team twice in quick succession rather have a blank Saturday but I'm not talking about games that have been brought forward. These quick doubles were arranged from day one. I understand there are difficulties but, as I said, I'm puzzled as to why this needs to happen...at least on this scale.

BTW...three of the five early season doubles I was talking about are/were mid-week games.

Just seeing what other fans think of the situation on fixtures. As for the past posts they feel the same as I do. All teams have budgets but to play more than two away games on the trot must make it hard to finance, for alot of the smaller clubs in the league. This post is not a gripe but perhaps the truth hurts

An interesting thread Gents with many valid points of view! The ideal case scenario is obviously to be home one week then away the next because that ensures continuity for fans,players and Clubs alike-I know that's not always possible for everyone because of commitments in other competitions. You've hit the nail on the head ("The Unknown") about the income issue especially where most clubs rely on attendance money and bar takings to not only run the team,but to finance the club on a daily basis. Having two weeks away is tough but three on the bounce makes things exceedingly difficult for cash flow.I realise at some point we may have two/three home games on the trot but that means it's probably hard for our opponents too!

In all fairness, we had a long distance fixture cancelled at Dartmouth FC last weekend, we were dreading a midweek trip up there but recieved a call from Phil Hiscox to say we'd been rearranged for a saturday late in March. So common sense prevails wherever possible. Thank goodness for that-Cheers Phil!!

Travelling large distances for evening games especially in the winter is a big ask for players and managers to get time off from employers, then be very late back after the game. We have to remember that football at this level is very part time and doesn't pay the mortgage or other major outgoings!

Phil does a great job for us all and it's certainly not one I would like to have!

Enjoy your football!

Major B)

Anyone know whats going to happen to the Cornwall Senior Cup fixtures involving Bodmin, Falmouth Saltash & Torpoint, if any (lets hope all) of them progress to the next round of the Vase on 3rd December. Reschedule for following Saturday or play midweek (except Falmouth) in the week before. Oh and the same is likely to happen in January with both cups scheduled for the same date.

Maybe someone should suggest to the CCFA they change their dates. Its been many weeks since the 1st round was played maybe the 2nd round should have been played last Saturday.